Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: jholland1203 Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/10/13 12:17 AM
I bought DD a National Geographic almanac a few days ago. She is obsessed and hasn't put it down since. DH had to take it from her today while out to dinner, in which she begged to read it while eating and while walking, and while basiclaly doing everything lol

Beside the little National Geographic books (she goes through those like water and we have just about every one) are there books you recommend similar that have tons of facts about animals or science type stuff?
Posted By: Loy58 Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/10/13 12:42 AM
How old is your DD?

My DD has enjoyed the Basher Science books when she is first exploring at a topic. If she is interested, she then finds more books on our next library trip.
Posted By: blackcat Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/10/13 02:51 AM
DS who is 6 likes the "I Wonder Why" books, which answer questions on various topics (including animals)
Posted By: Melessa Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/10/13 12:47 PM
I bought a national geographic ( adult- coffee table type book) for ds6 last year at a used bookstore. He carried it everywhere! Also, if animals are an interest, a book called Safari was a big hit (it's a photo lenticular book).
Originally Posted by Loy58
How old is your DD?

My DD has enjoyed the Basher Science books when she is first exploring at a topic. If she is interested, she then finds more books on our next library trip.

DD just turned 7 last week.

Thanks for all the ideas!

She has a huge interest in animals and science. She has been saying since she was 4, maybe younger, that she wants to be a veterinarian smile
Posted By: chay Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/10/13 03:13 PM
I know you're looking for books so this is off topic but has she seen Kratt's Creatures -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RYkBflhbg

They are a bit dated but have lots of great info about a lot of animals. DS7 is doing animals at school right now and is exhausting the teacher with all of the animal facts that he's absorbed from that show over the past couple of years.

The Kratt brothers also have a newer series called Wild Kratts which is mostly animated and has villains that they save the animals from. Underneath the cartoon stuff they actually do cover a lot of info about animals but it is a bit more subtle. It's a good gateway show for kids that don't like "boring science" shows like my nephews.
Posted By: mayasmom Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/10/13 03:31 PM
My DD (almost 6) loves Wild Kratts. She's also a big fan of Mythbusters, and some of the Imax movies.

Her favorite book right now is My First Question and Answer Book. There are quite a few animal sections in it, and lots of science. The categories are Space, Planet Earth, Oceans, Weather, Science, Inventions, Human Body, Dinosaurs, Bugs, Reptiles & Amphibians, Birds, Mammals, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Rome, Vikings, Knights & Castles, Pirates and Explorers.

We also buy quite a few of the non-fiction supplement books in the Magic Treehouse series. There are so many that involve animals: Rainforests, Sabertooths and the Ice Age, Dolphins and Sharks, Polar Bears and the Arctic, etc.

If she likes birds, I would recommend the Backyard Bird Song guide.

We also use Magic Schoolbus books as a jumping off point, and then explore topics further with library books.
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/10/13 03:52 PM
DD7 is obsessed with the "Who Would Win" books -- "Who Would Win, Cobra vs Komodo Dragon", "Who Would Win, Whale vs Giant Squid", etc.

They are pretty small books, but they have lots of information and cool pictures, and they pit the strengths and weaknesses of each animal against each other to determine which one would win if they fought.

She gets them from Scholastic.
We have found and/or been given some great encyclopedia type books designed for kids that DS really enjoys. I know he has at least one focused on unusual animals. They are big books, so lots of content. He also has one on dinosaurs, one on aviation, etc., etc. They make great gifts from grandparents. Barnes & Noble and Amazon have quite a variety of them.
Posted By: Dude Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/10/13 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Nautigal
DD7 is obsessed with the "Who Would Win" books -- "Who Would Win, Cobra vs Komodo Dragon", "Who Would Win, Whale vs Giant Squid", etc.

They are pretty small books, but they have lots of information and cool pictures, and they pit the strengths and weaknesses of each animal against each other to determine which one would win if they fought.

Definitely not for everyone, but there are also some real-world videos on Youtube that illustrate such things.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/10/13 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by Dude

Definitely not for everyone, but there are also some real-world videos on Youtube that illustrate such things.

Yes, like the honey badger video.
Posted By: indigo Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/10/13 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by jholland1203
books... that have tons of facts about animals or science type stuff?
DK books, Dorling Kindersley ... (link- http://us.dk.com/) To see their selection, from the home page choose children's ... for a gifted 7-year-old, you may want to choose age 8+ ... lots of science, animal, nature, and other topics.
These are all great selections! I think she would love everything listed so far. I will take her to the bookstore this weekend with all of these and let her choose. I got her a Magic Treehouse book the other day as well (Target has them on sale for about $3). She has yet to tough it because she is so immersed in the National Geographic. She did make a comment that she loves non-fiction, preferably animals facts.
Originally Posted by chay
I know you're looking for books so this is off topic but has she seen Kratt's Creatures -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RYkBflhbg

They are a bit dated but have lots of great info about a lot of animals. DS7 is doing animals at school right now and is exhausting the teacher with all of the animal facts that he's absorbed from that show over the past couple of years.

The Kratt brothers also have a newer series called Wild Kratts which is mostly animated and has villains that they save the animals from. Underneath the cartoon stuff they actually do cover a lot of info about animals but it is a bit more subtle. It's a good gateway show for kids that don't like "boring science" shows like my nephews.

We watched a video on the recent findings of mermaids (forget the channel and title). DD went to school and told the teacher and other students that mermaids are real and they found a skeleton etc. The teacher didn't appreciate that much lol
Posted By: aquinas Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/12/13 05:00 AM
Another online complement to books: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/

These definitive visual guides are visually stunning and chock full of information:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/0520244060
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/12/13 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by JonLaw
Originally Posted by Dude

Yes, like the honey badger video.

"Honey badger don't care!"
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/12/13 08:29 AM
Not books I know but full on tremendous are the Blue Planet and Planet Earth series from the BBC. Just mesmerising and sure to spur a myriad of inquiries in a lively mind.
Posted By: KCMI Re: Books about Animals/National Geographic - 10/14/13 02:10 PM
My girls LOVE Ranger Rick magazine and have been reading it for years.

Other good scientific magazines would be Odessey, Zoobooks, Muse, Ask, and Faces. All add free.

Other books:

DK & Eyewitness Animal books--- a whole series on broader topics (Mammals, Animals, etc and also specific ones like Birds, Dinosaurs, Dogs, Apes, etc) GREAT pictures and information

Magic School Bus & supplemental Magic TreeHouse books, Biographies on famous scientists like Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, etc or even the animals themselves : KoKo, Balto, etc.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum