Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 434 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 26 of 33 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 32 33
    I
    I
    LOL - thanks for the laughs!

I
    I
    So, teacher emailed and said she agreed he should be given credit for his story and addition sentence... but he can't get an "A" because he didn't do the drawing (they call it "modeling"). I am okay with that even though the "modeling" nonsense makes me crazy. Technically the test question asked for it and he didn't do it so ... She said specifically regarding the "modeling," "In math class, we are trying to ensure a deep understanding of all math concepts. At the primary level what might seem insignificant is actually an important cornerstone for future mathematical understandings. Modeling is one way that students can demonstrate this understanding." Uh okay... lets keep drawing squares and circles ad naseum in math class then to ensure that "deep understanding"... They have no idea how moronic they sound?

I
    I
    Oh and no apology for taking twenty minutes of my time to explain to me how DS does not really understand math problems only to find out that she is the one who apparenlty didn't quite understand the concept of "joining" "comparing" and "seperating" word problems.

I mean, really, if you are going to call a parent and essentially say "I know you think your son is advanced in this area; however, he is not only not-advanced but has actually has a deficit in understanding" you'd better make sure you know what the heck you're talking about first!

But that's okay, I am easy-going LOL smile

Last edited by Irena; 09/27/13 12:55 PM.
    Here is some of the latest math I've seen and sorry to say - I don't get it! Good thing it doesn't ask to "explain" how you got your answers.

It is a "Practice Page" with 4 sections. Each section has the following instructions followed by about 15 simple multiplication problems like 7X8, 9X3, 5X9, 8X3, etc.
    1. Pretend to Add with 9 and Count 5, 6, 7, 8
    2. Pretend to Add with 9 and Think of 7X7
    3. Pretend to Add with 9 and STRETCH
    4. Pretend to Add with 9 and see 2 4's

Talk about confusing! I'm not a math genius by any means, but this just looks too complicated and how will kids remember all these tricks anyway (even if they can make sense of it). I think we will just do the problems and call it good!

"Pretend??"

SERIOUSLY??

shocked

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    Pretend to Add with 9...

I am pretending to add 16+9. Shoot, I added them. This is harder than it sounds. I will try again with 28+9 and I will not think about the answer. Rats, I thought of the answer again. I know! I will pretend to add x + 9. There. I can do that. I am now pretending to add.

[pretend, pretend]

...and Think of 7X7

I am still pretending to add x + 9 and I am now thinking about 7X7.

...and STRETCH

I was working hard there, so I just STRETCHED my arm and back muscles. That was good advice!

Last edited by Val; 10/09/13 08:56 AM.
    Here is some of the latest math I've seen and sorry to say - I don't get it! Good thing it doesn't ask to "explain" how you got your answers.

It is a "Practice Page" with 4 sections. Each section has the following instructions followed by about 15 simple multiplication problems like 7X8, 9X3, 5X9, 8X3, etc.

Talk about confusing! I'm not a math genius by any means, but this just looks too complicated and how will kids remember all these tricks anyway (even if they can make sense of it). I think we will just do the problems and call it good!

I am SO glad that I don't have to pretend that my DD is not in that class LOL

Become what you are
    22B Offline

My first impression was that this is totally bizarre, but actually I now think this jargon refers to various tricks for calculating these products, so the students should know what jargon refers to. (Ask your kid.)

Google "finger multiplication" for an example of such tricks.

N
    N
    I don't even have to pretend that this makes absolutely no sense to me. I'm sure it refers to some sort of tricks, but it doesn't ring any bells for me.

I
    I
    LMAO ... seriously... you just can't make this stuff up!

Page 26 of 33 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 32 33

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM