Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #170748 10/09/13 07:43 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    The school district next door to us just shuttered its TAG program citing the academic rigor it provides for all students.
    They plan to allow all students currently in the program to finish the year and will allow them to stay at the school they are at but in mainstream classes for next year and beyond.
    I feel for those families and hope we can make room for their students at our TAG school.

daytripper75 #170752 10/09/13 08:06 AM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by daytripper75
    The school district next door to us just shuttered its TAG program citing the academic rigor it provides for all students.
    They plan to allow all students currently in the program to finish the year and will allow them to stay at the school they are at but in mainstream classes for next year and beyond.
    I feel for those families and hope we can make room for their students at our TAG school.
    Unfortunately some have seen this as a growing trend, which may continue to accelerate by closing programs in vast numbers ever more rapidly. Fueling this may be cost factors from demands of excessive identification/qualification testing and need for programs/schools/districts to defend themselves from allegations of bias and threats of lawsuits.

There is often a delicate balance between ability to optimally serve an individual student and optimally serve the student body as a whole. Reasonable compromise on both sides may not occur.

As an analogy or metaphor I offer this article from a Starbucks blog dated Feb 15, 2012 discussing the price and value of a free drink at Starbucks. A customer wanted to maximize what he could receive for free (link-
    http://starbucksgossip.typepad.com/_/2012/02/does-the-most-expensive-starbucks-drink-cost-2360.html)

... $23.60 drink consisted of:
    "one Java Chip Frappuccino in a Trenta cup,
    16 shots of espresso,
    a shot of soy milk,
    caramel flavoring,
    banana puree,
    strawberry puree,
    vanilla beans,
    Matcha powder,
    protein powder,
    and a drizzle of caramel and mocha."
    He said it tasted "tolerable but not good."

daytripper75 #170759 10/09/13 08:52 AM

That is very sad.

In addition to the obvious budgetary considerations that may be a driving force, I wonder how much of this is Common Core providing "rigor for all" that is being misinterpreted by administrators as "built-in differentiation" that obviates the need for anything more.

frown

Of course, AP/Honors has been used this way at the high school level for quite some time, but seeing it creep downward into elementary is very upsetting to me.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    daytripper75 #170766 10/09/13 09:30 AM
    Z
    Z
    Of course, if the district can reach that conclusion, they didn't get it in the first place.

Zen Scanner #170771 10/09/13 09:51 AM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Of course, if the district can reach that conclusion, they didn't get it in the first place.

Alternatively, they do get it, and they are lying.

daytripper75 #170772 10/09/13 09:58 AM
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

This has proven invaluable to me in my lifetime, as I've dealt with educational administrators from all angles.

HowlerKarma #170782 10/09/13 11:06 AM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Alternatively, they do get it, and they are lying.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

This has proven invaluable to me in my lifetime, as I've dealt with educational administrators from all angles.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

In this situation, like many, the level of stupidity that would be required is too extraordinary. Malice is by far the more plausible explanation.

On the other hand, the Bell curve is symmetrical ... whistle

daytripper75 #170799 10/09/13 12:14 PM
    Quite the conundrum via Occam's Razor, isn't it?

wink

Because a conspiracy of any scale is hard to fathom, as well, given the overwhelming evidence of a lack of-- er-- well, extraordinary intellect, let's just call it.

So I'm not sure WHAT the least convoluted or simplest explanation actually is.

It probably involves committees. And meetings. A lot of meetings. With committees.

daytripper75 #170802 10/09/13 12:50 PM
    Val Offline
    I suspect a combination of dumb plus ignorant. Most people don't question their beliefs and education programs don't emphasize giftedness. Well, a lot of them could be described as ignoring giftedness.

So you have people who've never been taught about giftedness and are running on assumptions that fit for the vast majority of their students.

daytripper75 #170804 10/09/13 01:02 PM
    Yes, the Bell Curve IS symmetrical.

While it saddens me tremendously, I think that someone just took a long hard look at just the numbers in a 'knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing' kind of way and thought that there are just not enough people in the right hand tail of the Bell Curve to justify spending so much on them.

Neglecting to notice the assymetric 'value' that people in the right hand tail bring to the population as a whole.

Become what you are
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...