Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    ... it is often successful/wise to take a non-confrontational approach that permits them ... to come to the correct conclusions THEMSELVES. In colloquial terminology this could be termed the "two hands and a flashlight" model of communication.
    I think that I may be confused about this. Can you help me?
    What is the learning objective for this activity? I'm not sure that I understand that, and I'd like to be able to support it from our end, as well.
    Oh-- that's lovely! What a great thing!
    Hmm-- yes, I can see how that is a great goal! Uh oh, though-- what if my child isn't finding {plan} engaging enough to be compliant?? I agree that this is a big problem in a classroom. I'm not sure that I'm understanding why my child is being punished-- how will that accomplish {objective} here?
    What do you suggest we can try so that this activity isn't feeling like punishment?
    If teacher comes up empty, you can ask "Can we try -----?" questions to feed solutions in.
    +1

HK, Your approach above is an art! I know this is how I should do it but not being raised in the WASP suburban way this is very hard for me... It's second nature to my mother in law, for example, (I really admire she's really got some talent in this manner) but not to me... I'm an inner city, lower socio-economic girl - I do think we tend on the whole to be more direct and confrontational.

However, since this topic will likely come up in the iep meeting in a few days, I am going to make this an outline for me to have and I am going to go by it and see how it works smile Having this as a script to stick to will help me keep my patience. I do bet it'd work magically. smile

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Anyway, DS is thrilled about donating books. He said he's worried about other kids and those who come after him having some decent books to choose from smile He loves the donation idea.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Irena
    I know this is how I should do it but not being raised in the WASP suburban way this is very hard for me... It's second nature to my mother in law, for example, (I really admire she's really got some talent in this manner) but not to me... I'm an inner city, lower socio-economic girl - I do think we tend on the whole to be more direct and confrontational.
    Have you seen the work of Ruby K. Payne (http://www.ahaprocess.com/)? Of special interest may be her book, Crossing the Tracks for Love. Lots of interesting SES discussion, it's like learning a new language and culture.

The info I posted upthread was for parent information only... what a strategy of a teacher/school may be. It is not intended as a guide to your conversation with the teacher/school. HK's post is to guide the conversation. Different info for different purposes and uses.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Anyway, DS is thrilled about donating books. He said he's worried about other kids and those who come after him having some decent books to choose from smile He loves the donation idea.
    Two thoughts:

1) This may be him showing that gifted trait of moral sensitivity? Here is a link to one article from the SENG website: http://www.sengifted.org/archives/a...d-children-and-the-evolution-of-society.

2) For a donation of books to a school, I believe you can get a donation receipt for tax purposes?

S
    S
    I've been following along and in just horrified for you and your son. The first thought I had about why she's being such a stickler about this for no good reason is maybe she's struggling to maintain control in general of the classroom. Then she gets hyper focused on obedience etc etc. Some teachers do really spend way more energy on compliance than learning, sadly. I really hope your talks are going to make her grow a bit. And maybe it is all about record keeping. Sometimes teachers get so overwhelmed they really do expect everyone to just go along and conform to make things "run smoothly"... But this is ridiculous.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    ... has already been taught the value of delayed gratification and self control at home...
    This phrase seemed a good spring-board or segue to emphasize that once they have learned the risks/rewards of delayed gratification and self-control, self-determining kids who are taking responsibility for their education may begin to choose when each strategy (wait vs GoForIt) may best serve their needs in different situations which present themselves.

Although self-determination may be expected to emerge in middle school as a milestone for NT development, some kids may exhibit this self-determination early on.

With marshmallows, delayed consumption may lead to larger reward. A student may be wise to choose wait/delay.
    With education, delayed challenge may lead to underachievement. A student may be wise to choose GoForIt/challenge.

O
    O
    I learned to ignore silly teacher habits / directives and have my child do what I know makes sense. Sure it's caused a couple of meetings, however, I simply won't have my child dumbing down simply because a teacher has control issues. It's really difficult for a teacher to justify to an administrator why they won't allow a student to read books beyond the level specified.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM