Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 42 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    We are working to accelerate our DS in math but we are coming us with barriers since common core. Our district is set on a certain path and having a hard time seeing that common core is a set of standards not a specific curriculum. Any ideas or comments appreciated.

22B Offline
    It's just a concocted excuse.

C
    C
    Would they be willing to give him a year-end assessment (i.e., the test that children would normally take at the end of this year's curriculum)? We had very good luck with that for our DS. It showed that he had mastered the year's Common Core based math curriculum and gave the school a solid reason to move him ahead a year for math.

Last edited by ConnectingDots; 10/07/13 12:10 PM.
    G
    G
    In the first year of common core math here, the district eliminated the 1-year acceleration that middle school kids could test into as a matter of routine. The district was clearly nervous about the impact on students. That acceleration went back into place (with some changes) after a year.

To be frank, the switch was indeed bumpy for both students and teachers, so they were right to be nervous. However, there's no reason to not test a child with an individual request for an acceleration. I would recommend that you request a "curriculum-based assessment" of the grade level to be skipped. It should require little more than printing out the end-of-grade assessment for the new curriculum.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    All great thoughts..... ConnectingDots.... an end of the year assessment might work only my DS doesn't perform as well as his knowledge on strictly multiple choice tests so I'm not sure if it would show my point. But maybe?? Our district is using strictly multiple choice with a few word problem constructed response items so depending on the day he may do great. But if you get him on a day he doesn't feel like bubbling it could show no growth.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I'm going to ponder the end of the year assessment..... I'm not sure about it accuracy though since I believe our district is using an end of the year benchmarking test that asks the same exact questions as the initial one.

P
    P
    Multiple choice is no an assessment of anything more than the ability to do multi choice.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by ConnectingDots
    Would they be willing to give him a year-end assessment (i.e., the test that children would normally take at the end of this year's curriculum)? We had very good luck with that for our DS. It showed that he had mastered the year's Common Core based math curriculum and gave the school a solid reason to move him ahead a year for math.

This is a great solution. We did hit a problem where the CC assessments weren't *written* yet, so they couldn't test... but it's worth a shot.

DeeDee

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Yes, I've mentioned multiple choice testing for units isn't appropriate but they don't seem to get it.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I think I might suggest this even though its multiple choice.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM