Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    H
    H
    Originally Posted by KJP
    He is in the "it is too hard and too easy" zone and I don't see a way out.

Oh how I wish I had a great answer for this! I can share what we are doing now that DS7 is working with me in home schooling...

First I started verbalizing a new expectation. Academics are all well above grade-level so I know I can set a different type of goal. I told him that there was only ONE thing I wanted to teach him this year: how to look for solutions to a challenge rather than give up or shut down. (I am not so focused on his competency in a thing as I am in his ability to try.)

Then I started introducing things that I knew would challenge him but that I believed he was able to complete. Frankly that has been very trying and exhausting for me. He has put up all manner of protest and complaint. It's been ugly. That made me realize that a classroom teacher would probably never have gotten through it. He truly had never been taught anything and he tried to avoid it at all costs. I keep reminding him of my one goal for this year.

When we hit a wall, I am walking him through if it is a visual issue, a fine motor issue, a lack of information issue, etc. until we figure out (together) what the barrier is and how to solve it. I am learning tremendously about his issues and what works and what he needs as we work through this. He is also learning to advocate for what he needs to complete a task.

Ironically after getting through one of these challenges he talks about how much he LOVES that subject and learning new things.... only moments earlier I heard, "I can't do it I can't do it I can't do it!! I'm just shutting down! This is too hard for me...."

We are a work in progress over here but I am seeing progress... and it truly has to be the most important thing my son could learn this year. I think it's the key that opens up his potential in all directions.

I know home school isn't the right choice for everyone but somehow, someway finding a patient person to wrestle through the "too hard" seems to be one solution to getting past it. This 2e stuff with such smart and challenged children is really tough and really exhausting. I get downright discouraged too... but then we get another day and I realize that good or bad, each day I'm learning to do this better and find/give/help/explain/advocate more effectively because of it.

But on the bad days, I find ways to grieve or get angry. I give my son a hug. I talk to a friend or post here. I pray about it and I take time to take care of myself. I hope you can do that tonight. You have been through and learned so much in the last year and the challenge of that can really wear someone out.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    I have only had informal discussions so far. We are still waiting on the report.

This is a very small private school and there are a lot of really nice things about it. It is near us, it is affordable, it has a 1st-8th mixed class for next year, they do weekly French, cooking, yoga, art and music. The people are nice and DS likes to go there.

We would really like it to work. The down side is that there is no special education coordinator or gifted coordinator or school psychologist to put any of this in perspective or offer suggestions. It is a group of nice teachers that started a school over thirty years ago because they thought they could make a better school.

I am hoping the report explains it all in a way that doesn't lead them to conclude "All kids have strengths and weaknesses. He just needs to try harder to work through his weaknesses"

Our plan is to accommodate at school and remediate with an OT and outside tutors.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks HappilyMom, I was typing while you posted.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    DeeDee, the way I understand his scores are that he has enough of a spread to qualify for accommodations but the lows are just above the levels for special services.

D
    D
    KJP, they shouldn't be determining need by scores alone-- there should be observation and collaboration by the whole team to determine need.

At a private, obviously, they don't *have* to do anything to help. I would probably look into getting an eval through the public schools; sometimes you can get services through them even if you have no plans to use their school for instruction.

During the phase where our school wouldn't help us, we remediated privately, and I wasn't sorry that we expended that effort. But IMO it's better to have help/remediation throughout the day if you can get it.

DeeDee

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Okay. I will look into it when I get the report.

I also wanted to clarify my comment earlier in the thread about being on grade level not being "good enough". I don't mean that I won't be happy with his education until he is at the top of his group. I just meant that under the circumstances, being at the same level as the other kids is a red flag.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by KJP
    I also wanted to clarify my comment earlier in the thread about being on grade level not being "good enough". I don't mean that I won't be happy with his education until he is at the top of his group. I just meant that under the circumstances, being at the same level as the other kids is a red flag.

Based on my experience you are absolutely correct. It was a huge fight to get DD tested because she was operating on grade level. After testing, the summer between K and 1st, we were told straight out that with her comprehension strengths performing anywhere below 4th grade level was indicative of learning disabilities. And boy oh boy does she have learning disabilities! People who get 2e will understand this. People who don't will likely be dismissive and try to paint you as the overbearing mother who wants her little snowflake to seem special. Don't let them get to you. Come here whenever you need and we will remind you.

X
    X
    Did you go to Norolog for 2e diagnosis.I anttended a meeting in my son school(he is firstgrader).There were three teachers include his teacher, two distric board members, school conselor,princinle. I feel soffocated.they said to me he is so smart his reading level is 5th grade level and his comprehension level beyond that. .His knowledge amazing but howcome He is like that in the classroom. He is not listening,he doesnt have any friends,he even doesnt try to have one. He is not writing anything. He is using pencils just play with them. He is making fisss fisss sounds when he is playing and annoy every body. So they want me to send my son to norolog. I dont have any idea what he or she will do my son there.

h

Last edited by xsantos; 10/29/13 06:56 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by xsantos
    Did you go to Norolog for 2e diagnosis... they want me to send my son to norolog. I dont have any idea what he or she will do my son there.
    You may be asking about a neurologist or neuropsychologist? Very simply put, they will generally engage the child in tests (somewhat similar to IQ tests) to determine if there are vast differences in how your child's brain processes. They may then recommend interventions such as curriculum modifications, classroom accommodations, and/or medications to help your child. There is a good article here: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....search_article_on_2e_gif.html#Post172507

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    My son went to the Neurolearning Clinic in Edmonds, WA.

Xsantos, feeling bullied seems to be normal for the type of meeting you described. We are in a different situation in that my son's school does not see him as being particularly exceptional. The skills that correlate to the 99+% subtests are recognized (vocabulary, similarities and oral expression), but since the skills don't enhance any work at school, at this point the result is "Yeah, that is great but we'd really like to see him do worksheets with less hassle"

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM