Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 154 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by KADmom
    ...Part of the issue is asyncronity, part of it is he doesn't fit the precocious stereotype one sees in the news...

I feel this is probably our issue and why I'm not so confident. DD is definitely asynchronous. There is not a doubt in my mind about that. I have questioned many things that relate to asynchronous without answers from those such as Peds. I would hear it wasn't typical but she'll outgrow her intensities etc. DD is also not the idea I have in my head of the precocious stereotype as you mentioned. Thus leading to me questioning if I'm seeing this all correctly.

The moment when things 'came into focus' for me was at a soccer game DD was playing in our township. It was at the start of 2nd grade and parents there were still moaning about a Maths test that had been given early in 1st that DD had aced complaining about how hard it had been. I realized there and then that this was not the place to mention that at that age DD had out of the blue announced at dinner table:-

"Hey, did you know that 3 squared plus 4 squared equals 5 squared?
    Funny how numbers work out like that sometimes!"

LOL

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/06/13 12:19 PM.

Become what you are
    C
    C
    We didn't know- DS is an only child. He did things early that made us think he was advanced or at least had an excellent memory (he could recognize the alphabet by around 18 mos.). We had some people comment on his language skills, but we facilitated some of that we a lot of conversation at home.

We considered "gifted" around 4 when he began to pick up on math concepts quickly was adding and subtracting large numbers in his head by pre-k. He didn't read at 3 (more like 5), but accelerated so fast that he now reads books at around the 4th or 5th grade level (he's in 1st).

I think that a WISC or other IQ test may provide good information about our kids, but even after we had him tested (he's HG), some days we wonder. Gifted kids don't "act gifted" all the time. Sometimes my kid (now six) sits around and makes up complex multiplication games. Just as often, he screams and throws a tantrum because I tell him he can't watch another episode of Ninja Turtles.

Also, (sorry for the disjointed post), my DS likes to go "fast" and will make some careless errors or misread instructions on schoolwork. It confuses the issue- because he's far beyond the "work" but he makes mistakes.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks for all the comments so far. I feel like I have a better perspective on it and should trust myself more. I am probably over thinking it all.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM