Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    I never wanted to home school. My 2e PG, 61pt spread in processing/verbal, ADHD, DCD, Dyspraxic, Anxiety Disorder w PTSD, Dysgraphic DS is intense and exhausting. Lots of things are frustrating and I relished the breaks to recover that school offered. I really thought that both physically and mentally I could not survive home schooling.

But school just wasn't working. It was nowhere close to what he needed. It was killing him and me and admittedly the first few words the psychologist w/ specialization in gifted uttered after his first IQ/Achievement testing at 4 were: "Have you considered home schooling?" So I guess at nearly 7, we finally decided we needed to listen...

I am amazed at how easy this is.... I thought I would be overwhelmed but we are both so much more relaxed. I'm seeing for myself what works and what accommodations are needed. And we are having fun. It really takes so little time and so much less energy.

Yesterday was National Homemade Cookie day and of course we had to celebrate appropriately while discussing adding fractions and the chemistry of baking.

I love being able to be relaxed and flexible and letting him learn (and enjoy learning again) in creative ways. All the wisdom I've read here about not getting stuck in a curriculum has really freed me to not feel driven by specific learning standards that don't apply to the way he thinks and learns. So very much is now online that curriculum is very easy and flexible. He is years ahead of his age cohort so "falling behind" doesn't seem like a threat to hold me to the kill and drill mentality we experienced in school or the excessively long school day.

Life is short and it feels like home school has made it that much richer. Thank you to all of you who have educated and encouraged me so far on this journey. I know I would not have made it to this point without all of the generous and gracious help you have offered.

D
    D
    oh YAY! good for you - and that's such great news. and thanks so much for giving me a place to chime in on the thank-yous...

we just started homeschooling, too - and i have to say it's pretty much solved all our problems in one fell swoop. DD is eating curriculum like it's her last day on Earth, and i'm honestly SO much more relaxed since i don't have to fight with the school every day. this is without doubt the greatest thing i've ever done - why they ever wanted to hold her back is beyond me - it's so exciting to watch!

it is indeed a testament to the wise folks here for making homeschooling seem possible. DD5 is really flourishing, and i thank you all so very much.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    A
    A
    Just fantastic! I'm so happy to hear these happy reflections. HappilyMom, I'm delighted that you're finally getting a reprieve from the hard times you've suffered and are able to enjoy the time with your DS. Way to go!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    J
    J
    Wow!its good,homeschooling is the ultimate way to get involved in your children's
    education and allows parents to tailor the curriculum to their kids'
    individual needs. You get to impart your values, share the excitement
    of learning and spend lots of quality time with your kids.

Yes! Thank you for sharing your happy story. I have never homeschooled, but after hearing about how it wasn't really that bad once you started, I put it in my back-up plan if school didn't work. I'm so glad to hear things are going so well for you and your DS!

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thank you all for sharing with me! Today at OT he showed phenomenal improvement in his writing. It was rather shocking really and so very cool to see. It seems like he is finally free to work on the disability rather than simply de-stress from school like before. The OT felt good about his progress and talked about him being ready to begin learning keyboarding.

He has been very writing phobic as long as I can remember, but on the way home we talked about elements of writing and brainstormed ideas to put together a book. He was actually enjoying thinking about a writing project rather than heading in to an anxiety jag at the mere mention of it!

My Mother-In-Law told me (when we made the decision a few weeks back) that she believed I would never regret making this decision.

I'm astonished at how much learning happens naturally (and seamlessly) without much thought or effort on my part. Although I guess it's always happened (hence the achievement w/o me actively teaching anything) and only been hampered by school and the age-grade lockstep model with all it's homework and long hours. It's nice to be free again like the toddler years.

Last edited by HappilyMom; 10/03/13 09:51 PM.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations