Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 138 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I am trying to figure out what is best for DS but it's rather complicated because we need to consider the whole picture including future considerations. DS10 is taking Algebra I this year at his elementary school via the district-selected online curriculum provider along with a once-a-week live teacher evaluator. Part of the problem may be that I held DS back from proceeding to Algebra I last school year when he was clearly ready. Even though the curriculum is supposed to be Honors Algebra I, DS is whipping through the material at a faster timeline than even the accelerated pace (16 weeks), much less the regular pace (32 weeks). This is the case even though there are scheduling/timing obstacles slowing him down and he is only spending about 70% of the designated math period on the online curriculum and I am not enforcing math homework time.

My concerns/issues are the following:

I am somewhat troubled about not having him do "math homework" when all his 5th grade classmates as well as middle school algebra students have to spend time doing math homework.

He probably won't be able to take the standardized state algebra test until May.

If he finishes the course too fast, what is he going to do the rest of the year?

Even if he won't be twiddling his thumb and the school district moves him to the next course (Algebra II), that would push the timeline forward to Calculus in 8th grade. In that case, he won't get to participate in a "real" math classroom at all during middle school.

It also seem to me that part of the problem is that this is an online math course, which in general are easier to speed through. I am a bit prejudiced but it also seem to me that with the exception of AOPS, none of the online math courses that I have looked at are as vigorous compared to our GT textbook/curriculum.

There is also a concern in the back of my mind that whipping through a course "too fast" will result in less deep/profound/permanent subject mastery.

I am also mindful that everyone hits a wall at some point. If I allow DS to accelerate too much, he might hit his wall -- be it geometry or trigonometry or pre-calculus or calculus or differential equations -- at a time when he would be less able to handle it.

Sometimes I am inclined to allow him to move forward if his teacher isn't concerned about slowing him down. Then again, I am not sure how to artificially slow him down in a way that makes sense except reminding him everyday to go slower and perhaps insist that his teacher make him do more problems by hand in addition to the "essay" problems/solutions that he type online.

Sorry this is sort of rambling as I am still trying to sort through my thoughts.

Here's an idea (one that we've used in order to keep DD more or less in synch with what the school thinks that pacing ought to be, anyway):

can you have him do math at his preferred rate, but only have him work on it for one or two days each week?

I used to worry about the effect of not doing a lot of practice problems, but the bottom line is that DD really doesn't need to. I mean, she knows HOW to-- and does do so fairly graciously (at 14yo) when she encounters something that she needs to dust off or has more difficulty mastering. So a couple of practice problems with the concept, an assessment, and she's got it.

I've never tried to control her innate learning pace, per se. I tend to think that is a losing battle. If I force her to work at a pace that is too far out of her comfort zone, then she goes into refusal and underachievement.

If you were to restrict math to a day or two a week, and then maybe introduce competitions math or something else to "fill" the other blocks, would that work?

I hear you about group instruction. This is something that my DD has found very disheartening about online math.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Z
    Z
    Things maybe to think abot:

How passionate is he about math?

Does he do his own practice/math experiments to cement his learning or his he just burning through multiple choice and short answer problems?

Future considerations aren't just coursework, but also about maintaining a passion if it exists.

We'll be facing a similar question, and I have no intention of getting between DS and his passion. But he doesn't have to follow the linear path schools imagine for math.

Push come to shove, find sideways material that he digs. Maybe like number theory, statistics, topology, operations research, other discrete maths, etc. I can imagine someone motivated spending a semester just exploring proofs relating to primes.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    The problem with doing it for one or two days a week (versus the 3 1/2 days currently) is that he would have to fill the other days with something else online that the school would have to approve and that he can handle completely independently like the Algebra course. As things stand now, he might well end up doing something like that if/when he finishes the course too early. I like the idea of competition math but again something would have to be arranged as there is always a lot of red tape.

I am with you regarding the practice problems although DS already does a lot more than he needs to due to having to kill time while waiting around for discussion assessments and permission to take unit assessments or to move on in certain cases.

Online math is kind of lonely, particularly if you like the peer interaction.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    That is the million dollar question. I don't think he is really passionate about math. There are too many other subjects that fascinate him. However, in the past he has come up with some profound mathematical patterns/insights that surprised me and impressed his pre-algebra teacher. We do have a kind of odd situation here as he is very much a "verbal" kid rather than a true "mathy" kid but I only chose to accelerate him in math because I could clearly see the damage in not accelerating in math whereas it was not particularly harmful to not accelerate him in reading/language arts because that curriculum is all about writing, which is completely open-ended and he is free to and certainly does read whatever level he wants outside of the two-hour reading/language arts block.

It's difficult for me to know what he is thinking/doing to cement his knowledge/skill but the online course does require more than multiple choice and short answer problems. For example, he is called upon to summarize/verbalize all the concepts in the curriculum. I am totally in agreement about the sideways approach. DS has done a fair amount of reading adult level math books (not textbooks) touching a broad range of topics. However, his greatest weakness is the inability to take things slow, which is sometimes necessary for deep understanding/mastery.

O
    O
    Perhaps the biggest question is what the school district has as a plan for those students who finish the available course work it offers in HS. Believe it or not I've heard a math teacher say, "We can't put him in AP Calc. at his age, we'll run out of math!"

Does your school district give HS credit for those not in HS that take classes typically attended by HS students?

N
    N
    Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    The problem with doing it for one or two days a week (versus the 3 1/2 days currently) is that he would have to fill the other days with something else online that the school would have to approve and that he can handle completely independently like the Algebra course. As things stand now, he might well end up doing something like that if/when he finishes the course too early. I like the idea of competition math but again something would have to be arranged as there is always a lot of red tape.

What about geometry? Could he take an online course for that, maybe another two days a week? It's nice to have it concurrently with algebra.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    4 years of math is required but Algebra I counts even though more than half the kids take Algebra I by 8th grade.

I think that he does like to learn with the other kids even though that involves him tuning out for a good portion of class. On the other hand, he does like to speed through things as well so that is the upside of the online course.

It is hard to say whether he loves it enough for it to have a career component. The reason for the first two accelerations beyond the built-in GT acceleration was to avoid killing the spark/passion.

I like the sideways idea but I think a lot of the cool applications require a higher level of math knowledge than Algebra I. Computer programming may be a possibility to occupy his time if he finishes the course too fast.

Just out of curiosity, what would have been the normal sequence for your DD? The sequences that I am used to seeing are:

Year 1: Algebra I
    Year 2: Algebra II
    Year 3: Geometry/Trigonometry
    Year 4 (1st half): Pre-calculus
    Year 4 (2nd half): Calculus AB
    Year 5: Calculus BC

Year 1: Algebra I
    Year 2: Algebra II
    Year 3: Geometry
    Year 4: Trigonometry and Pre-calculus
    Year 5: Calculus AB + BC

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    This issue doesn't come up in high school because the whole class covers the subject at the same pace. The district elected the one-day a week live teacher plus online course for DS but I don't know how often the issue would have come up in the past. Although I am in a large district (over 100,000 students), there are many years when the district does not have a fifth grader taking Algebra I although it is my understanding that this year there is one other fifth-grade student within our district.

I don't think he will run out of math courses because after Calculus, he can take Linear Algebra, Statistics, Differential Equations at the high school plus he can dual enroll in college for more courses. Our district is very generous with high school credits. DS may potentially get 4 math credits (Alg. I, Alg. II, Geometry, Pre-calculus) and 3 science credits (env. science, earth/space science, biology) prior to high school.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I agree with you. However, our GT math sequence has Geometry following Algebra II. The Geometry actually applies the Algebra and I think the Trigonometry may be at the end of Geometry as well. Of couse, with the current momentous changes to Common Core, it is difficult to say what the sequence may look like for sure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM