Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Polly
    How is your DS with following the trajectory of a ball?

I don't think he even realizes it's there to follow? lol ... so, the answer would be horrible at best.

P
    P
    Pointing is so complicated. First deciding from the speaker's eyes what what direction they are looking. Then finding their outstretched arm, which is also not what you are looking for. And then if you find the finger on the arm (also not what you are looking for) that takes one's gaze away from the face, potentially missing further info such as little facial movements that indicate more specifically how far away (I do a little chin lift if I'm pointing to something far away). And then imagining their finger if it suddenly stretched a great length in a straight line. A length that differs from instance to instance depending on how far away the object is. And then focusing in on a little sphere of space at the end of that imaginary line to search, now with a search image of the object that is not eyes or arm or finger or line. How complicated is that. It's kind of amazing anyone can do it.

Of course you can be reasonably okay at all that stuff above and still not be able to find the object. I lift my arm to point, DH thinks, "75% chance she means on the table", breaks eye contact and bolts for the table. smile So there's patience.

It might be fun to play a find-the-hidden-jellybean type game with a laser pointer or a flashlight. See how short a time one can leave the beam on where DS can still find the jellybean.

My DS is terrible at balls also. He's gotten way better at locating things via pointing as he's gotten older, but not any better at catching a ball. When I asked I was thinking pointing was sort of like an imaginary throwing motion... but if so then maybe getting better at one would make you better at the other. There goes that idea.

M
    Mk13 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Polly, thank you for the laser pointer idea! That sounds like fun with OT built into it!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM