Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    G
    G
    I agree having a professional's input goes a long way. We sought out a child psychologist after our DD was exhibiting some asynchronous issues. We both went to the first few meetings with the psychologist. Those few meetings helped my husband begin to understand our DD and where she was at. I had been worried that her current school wasn't meeting her needs. DH constantly disregarded my concerns. The psychologist said "a traditional school may not be what your daughter needs. Have you thought of project based or IB schools?" I nearly hugged her! Fast forward a few months. He is finally on board with open enrolling to a different district and, or moving! HUGE strides!
    DH was in the talented and gifted program as a child, I was not. While much has changed in the 35 years since my husband was in first grade, his perceptions of school and how things work there have not changed. He still has lots of learning to do:-) All I can do is educate myself and when something is really interesting, I'll mention it to him. He's got to do this on his own timeline. The more he sees where she is at compared to other kids her age, the better.
    I just wish he weren't so slow to adapt:-)

Grinity- what is 2SD & 3SD? I'm still relatively new:-)

E
    E
    SD is standard deviation. 2SD is about IQ 130, 3SD is about 145.

H
    Hils Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by CoastalMom
    I'm linking to a video of a lecture Dr James Webb gave at the University of Wisconsin. It's about the characteristics of gifties and common problems/misdiagnoses they face. It's approximately 55 minutes, but well worth the time.

http://videos.med.wisc.edu/videos/32540

The video was very helpful! I forwarded it my DH (hope he finds time to watch it!)
    The reactive hypoglycemia info. was very interesting- it's something I'm going to look into as our DS7 in very slender, has food and seasonal allergies (lactose intollerance) and we've been taking him to a psycologist to help with his intensity. Our DS9 is going to be tested with WISC-IV in a few weeks to help determine if his ADHD-like issues need further investigation, or if other accomodations might help.

H
    Hils Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    BTW - how far over to the Right Side the the graph does your younger child end up? 2SD? 3SD? The graph measures 'unusualness' and humans being what they are, 'more unusual' means less likely to get their needs met without special efforts. If you go back to the doc, ask her or him to help you estimate 'how unusual' your child is compared to the local school system.

His GAI was 99.8. PRI 99.9 and Verbal 96%, so right between 2SD and 3SD. We didn't do any further testing because we felt that was enough data to help get the school to entertain the idea of the grade skip (which we thought would make the most immediate difference.) We are in a district with no GATE or public schools with specialized programs. The closest private schools are 30 miles drives and way too expensive for us. It seems like we have struck a good academic balance so far this year (he might not be fully challenged but his teacher is providing enrichment material for him to explore when he finishes regular classwork early. He is not complaining about school- that's an improvement. 7 and in 3rd means that the bar for writing is set fairly high- he seems to be holding his own.

I would like my DH to explore the idea that personality traits also tie into his intensitities and learning style. Also the idea of asynchronous development - that we are better parents if we educate ourselves about our children's gifts and challenges and adapt our parenting. He is still more on the side of "one size fits all."

G
    G
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    SD is standard deviation. 2SD is about IQ 130, 3SD is about 145.

Thanks for the clarification! I learn something new here everyday!

Originally Posted by Hils
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    BTW - how far over to the Right Side the the graph does your younger child end up? 2SD? 3SD? The graph measures 'unusualness' and humans being what they are, 'more unusual' means less likely to get their needs met without special efforts. If you go back to the doc, ask her or him to help you estimate 'how unusual' your child is compared to the local school system.

His GAI was 99.8. PRI 99.9 and Verbal 96%, so right between 2SD and 3SD.

Have you applied to Davidson Young Scholar's Program? Do it.

Even having 'parts' of a profile at the 3SD mark (PRI 99.9) means more unusual than the usual expectations for giftedness. Luckily, school doesn't much deal with the strengths of PRI, and so his Verbal 96% should make classrooms a friendlier place for him than for a kid with 96% PRI and 99.9% Verbal. Take a look at Iowa Acceleration Scale Manual for details on 'skip or no skip'

Get lots of afterschool stuff that deals with Engineering/Architectural/Visual Puzzle Solving. That may be where DH can really notice that 'unusualness.'

Hugs and best wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Hils
    lactose intollerance
    I am not a doctor and I do not play one on TV...! That said, I know of people with lactose intolerance who have found that taking Lactaid when consuming milk and other dairy products helps them effectively digest these foods. YMMV

Lactose intolerance is not an allergy. It just means the body does not produce the digestive enzyme (lactase) that breaks down lactose into simple sugars.

Lactaid is an enzyme supplement. There are also milk products for the lactose intolerant, which come with lactase as an added ingredient. Since the lactose is already broken down, they taste noticeably sweeter, but otherwise, it's just milk.

An added bonus: lactase-added milk keeps for about two months. Normal pasteurized milk keeps for about two weeks.

M
    M
    My dh made a 180 after meeting with the tester. She was amazing about explaining everything and how it affected our ds. She kept talking until dh "got it". Now, he knows and doesn't question. Has helped a lot for ds and me!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM