Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Emerson Wong), 90 guests, and 40 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    1111 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS5 is in 1st grade. We were off to a pretty rough start with DS's attitude after a likewise rough year in K. The teacher knew he was advanced but once I presented the test results (IQ and Achievement)she really seemed to grasp just HOW advanced he really is. The teacher is a 20+ veteran and is helping me advocate to the principal which is just amazing! They are working out a situation where he will be able to EPGY math instead of their curriculum. She is also willing to accept any ideas I have for in class enrichment in the other subjects. She has already set him up really nicely for reading class. Allowing him to write book reports and do research projects. Just wonderful and DS is so much happier and actually likes going to school now.

I am looking for ideas of what to bring to class. Printable materials, books etc. I put together 4 pages of work sheets each day for him to do when he is waiting for the others. But I am going to need lots of material. The year is long.

Any ideas will be appreciated! Thanks.

You might try visiting the library and selecting a couple of books at DS's reading level on topics he's interested in, so he can choose the subject he wants to learn more about each week.

1111 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks MON. Great ideas!I I didn't think to use actual manipulatives We are trying to not accelerate grades or subject at this point. He was early entrance to K so he is already by far the youngest.

I am doing about 3rd-4th grade work sheets in grammar, sentence correction, word definition,synonyms, word searches, cross words etc. etc.
    He is also getting 5 additional,much more advanced, spelling words each week that he has to define and find synonyms for as well.

Any ideas for good websites that have good resources? I am willing to pay.

1111 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ohmathmom,you are right on. His teacher is letting him choose the books to read from the school library and work on book reports/research on that subject. Pretty good I would say. Seems he gets "stuck" on one subject though for months and refuses to do anything else until it is completely mastered in his mind..

M
    M
    So nice to have a teacher that is willing to work with you! EPGY is great---my son has been doing it for 4 years and it has made all the difference. Writing prompts are a great way to integrate all the worksheets you are giving him and will help as he progresses further in school (ie doesn't necessarily accelerate him now, but pays off in spades come late elementary/middle). Also having to write "debates" from both sides of an argument. Lastly, do you know about the Wordmaster competitions/spelling lists? Those are great spelling/vocab words to use alone or in puzzlemaker. Good luck!

D
    D
    sounds like you have a willing teacher and already got good advice. In K my daughter got to read aloud to the school secretary when her K teacher wasn't sure what to do with her, so maybe there are some options outside the classroom, too? It worked out really well as my daughter got practice reading, filled her strong social need and relieved some boredom from in classroom. They also had a 2x a month pullout program with the gifted teacher where they played games and did special projects. Maybe you could volunteer in the classroom and see what other resources the teacher might have available that you could help design more advanced assignments for him, ex: money, clocks, etc.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs