Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #168593 09/21/13 11:50 AM
    OP Offline
    DD5 started kindergarten this year and she doesn't like it at all. First it was a girl at her table who was annoying her, then it was all of the changing of classes that she does (for specials), then it was that everything is too easy, then she doesn't like it when the teacher has to raise their voice to get the other kids to listen and behave, then it was that she didn't actually have to learn how to spell the spelling words, just what the first letter of each was - do I need to go on?
    So, we tried all sorts of things at home to lessen her stress about going to school and didn't get too far. So, since it was deja vu from when her older sister started school, we had a meeting with her teacher the beginning of the week. We didn't leave the meeting feeling like anything was going to get changed until November sometime because she wants 2 more math tests before she thinks about changing math up for DD. She indicated that they would be breaking into different reading groups, and DD would be in the higher one, but her solution to DD finishing all of her work first with lots of time to spare and being the teacher's helper was more work, not different work.
    Fast forward to the end of this week: I was sitting at my desk getting ready to leave (I work at DD's school, but not in the elementary) and the head of school came in to discuss DD. They want her to go to phonics lab in the morning for about a month because she has some holes in her reading (she can read things like butterfly and fluttering easily but then can't read was or read), then she will get to go to reading lab and read chapter books with the 3rd grade teacher to keep her going. Once she has finished those labs they will retest her reading and figure out what to do with her from there.
    I was shocked, I really didn't expect any movement at all and that we would be going back in to her teacher in a week or so and request different work.
    Hopefully this is be enough of something different to get DD into liking school, or at least not hating it. I'm not sure it will be completely successful, but the labs are usually only for 1st, 2nd and 3rd graders, so we are selling it to DD as a special privilege and treat for her. When she finishes the labs she is also going to get a treat of being able to go to art club with her favorite teacher.

OP Offline
    Good idea. I have been trying to think of some way to decrease the negativity but haven't been getting anywhere, so I will try your suggestion and let you know how it goes.

X
    X
    I am a very desparate mother who cant help her own son.My son is now Grade 1. First week of the school, teacher call me and aranged a meeting . It was horrible, she said to me MY SON did not do any asignment she gave him. All papers were emty, even one word ( like before kindergarden:( ). She advised to me talk to pediatrition for developmental delay. I got upset and today I went to Glenrock make him to be tested.My son is a blingual, I wasnt sure that He will answer the all questions. he also dosent like to write.Some part of the test He got distract and ask questions about the rail road nearby. His WPPSI-iii score V:99.5 %/ P:99%/FS:99%. He is a liitle boy likes science more than anything else. He wants to learn everything about science, the things I dont know, atoms ,molekuls, Ensteins, space. He has many idea to make a space shuttle manage to go lightspeed.When I read him the book he wants, sometimes I dont understend the consept but he can and he asks more abstract qestions I cant answer. But school He is playing whit his pencil all day long. It makes me very upset.

Last edited by xsantos; 09/23/13 08:52 PM.
    C
    C
    Welcome xsantos! You might like to start your own thread on this, but my initial questions would be why your son doesn't write in school, according to him. What does he say when you ask him? Seems there are many possible explanations based on what you said, that would need different responses. My DS was a reluctant writer for years but with help and encouragement improved.

(DS = dear son; as this is a public forum we mostly avoid using real names. My DS is not called Colin! I've avoided using your DS's name here in case you decide to edit it out of your post.)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    X
    X
    Thanks for your hints for naming:).He doesnt like writing at all.FIRST, because He thinks He is so slow and He has to use more afford not to write backwards. When He was in PREK,his teacher forced him to copy words(he doesnt like copying) but it was translusant material, so he can copy them bothways , I warned her that He would learn them backward but she said "Thats okay,I just want him to improve his pencilgrasping skills' but he learned to write many letters and numbers backward. When They began to write complete sentence. He realized that He was writing backwards them and He stopped writing at all.That time he was 4 years old. SECOND,He needs stimulation.Until He was two I thought him to everything Turkish. I translated the English book to Turkish while I was reading them " I think because of that he couldn't learn reading at that age:)" He learned English eventually but it was his age level. At the park He was always trying to talk bigger kids to play esp " pretent play",but he couldn't so He cried to go to school.I sent him to Montessory." (First week He tricked the teacher and sisters so they asked me" how can we say to sit in Turkish'. I said them believe me He will understand every word you said then problem was solved:)).When He learned to speak english very well. Teacher said " He is not doing anything and All He was watching bigger children and walk between them.I asked her let him do things with them,She said" He is small for that".I waited half school year and changed his school. New one(PREK) was play oriented, but not really??. I tought they cant stimulate him so they may let him play but more problems accured and writing was ice on the cake:o.He was crying to not to go to school.Then,next year, I enrolled him to public Kindergarden,was half day.Luckly He had a teacher,gave some credits what i said and let mychild not do anything in class but still learned and let him think his stuff when he was palying.Then everything changed He began to write but she let him write what he thinks,after every writing paper she gave him some mazes he liked.She didnt get angry him When he gave extra information about the subject she thought, so He began to talked more explained more,sometimes not let her telk but she made joked abuth thats= so myson got relaxed. Some day she said my son wasn't himself yesterday ,so I let him be(If I asked him what happened, Myson said oh mommy sometimes I needed to think about the stuff.Some times I am thinking even in my dreams) ..But today He did his writing asignment. I said him to challenge himself and he didnt even look at the table.Now he is in first grade ,new teacher,and in one week Iam full of stress.
    I want to explain to you how He likes to think, This morning He had asked my husband some stuff. when I entered the room my son was jumping with joy.I asked him what happened. my son said to me something about jumping electromagnetic fields.........etc.He said I am right mommy.I figured it out samething,I thought about it alot.It has to be like that and it is like that. I said good job Myson and went to kitchen to prepare the breakfast:).

why He is not writing. when I ask him this Question ,he always says It is boring mommy.Even for his homeworks are always boring for him. Even mathematic homework is boring.Just science
    isnt boring which is the only subject we let him ask further questions about. My husband dont teach him any school curriculum. He said to me I can teach him every subject even integral,I know he can learn but so what.He thinks school is boring even now,what will he think later than.He says the important thing is his curiousty. He likes to think what he is currious about. for example, Myson came to me to learn about Ouantum physic. Momy I had many idea about light speed, I am planning to make a shutle can go like that. But I need to learn more. My husband asked his ideas and says to me, let him think more about them. when my son came to him his solutions.He was helping him litle bit and let him think more. For my son his dady is most clever man in the world and not boring at all:).

Last edited by xsantos; 09/24/13 11:03 AM.
    X
    X
    I wrote to much,because you are the first person I can talk about my son

I
    I
    Originally Posted by xsantos
    ... to learn about Ouantum physic. Momy I had many idea about light speed, I am planning to make a shutle can go like that. But I need to learn more. My husband asked his ideas and says to me, let him think more about them. when my son came to him his solutions.He was helping him litle bit and let him think more. For my son his dady is most clever man in the world and not boring at all:).
    It is great that as parents you nurture your son's interests!

If you'd like to have more resources available to you, to help your son learn about various science topics and participate in science activities, consider looking at the resources listed on the Davidson Database. (http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/browse_by_topic_resources.aspx)

There is a section on Science. (http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/browse_resources_142.aspx)

X
    X
    thank you all of you,for your listening and help. This is the first time I can talk about my son to somebody. I am living in NJ. Homeschooling isnt a option,becouse He will be more solitare.

Last edited by xsantos; 09/24/13 12:01 PM.
    X
    X
    This saturday, I sent My son to the course at Wilson School ,Mountain Lakes. It was for grade 2-3, ML 203: The Human EYES. Although my son is first grader,they said It is okey for him to attend. Today,While we are eating breakfast, he said " Momy Can I ask you a question. When will I go to again the school I went yeasterday. I said next saturday, 6 days later. He said himmmmmmmmmmmmm Do I have to wait that much. Ilove that lesson. Teacher told me the stuff I have already known but Also he teached me the things I didnt know.
    As A momy Who wants to help him,I feel I dont have any power to do. It makes me so upset

Last edited by xsantos; 10/06/13 09:22 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by xsantos
    ... I sent My son to the course ... The Human EYES...
    This sounds like a fabulous success, possibly a story which does not belong in a thread called "off to a rough start"? You may wish to choose to be joyous and hopeful about the things you have shared including happy...
    - to have found the course,
    - for your child to be accepted into the course despite being in a different grade level,
    - that your child enjoyed the course,
    - that your child learned something in the course and wants to attend again,
    - that your child can attend again in a week.

These are all strong positives, and provide much to look forward to. While it may not seem like enough, it is much more than some families have found to nurture their children's strengths at that young age. Some noted that cultivating an optimistic attitude and gratitude for one's good fortune may often bring more opportunities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM