Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    BinB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Thank you so much for the advice and links, all. I am meeting with his teacher this week and will look into having his vision thoroughly checked. Thanks -

P
    P
    BinB,

Although he's very young, and his teachers are correct - he's still within the wide age range where this type of challenge can be very typical - this is a red flag:

Originally Posted by BinB
    He started kindergarten this fall, and so far it has been very stressful for him (and the whole family) -- he comes home exhausted, grumpy and oversensitive and has been acting quite aggressively, which is unusual for him. He is not at all excited to go to school and has a hard time completing his school work and homework.

Most neurotypical kids who are developmentally on track, whether or not they are still reversing letters or not recognizing phonics etc at this age - aren't coming home from kindergarten stressed out and exhausted.

I am a firm believer (as the mom of two children with LDs) that listening to your mom's intuition is really important - if you think there might be a problem, and you're seeing signs like this, it's most likely worth pursuing an eval. I would start by asking your ped what he/she recommends, who in your area etc.

Is there any way to test a child this young? And if he is dyslexic, what can be done to help him cope? I hate to see him falling behind his peers and losing his confidence.

There are so many different things that can be done and so much of it depends on the individual child. If you were to find out through an eval that your ds is dyslexic, I can tell you that probably the most helpful thing ever for my dysgraphic ds and dyslexic dd was to give them a *name* that explained what was causing so much frustration for them, to let them know about other famous and successful people who had shared the same struggle, and letting them know that someday it would all be ok - they would get through the struggle of early learning and fitting in at school. BUT - you don't have a diagnosis or know that this is an issue yet. So for now, until you know more, I'd do two things - first I wouldn't make him work to exhaustion and through frustration at home, it's kindergarten. If he doesn't do his homework the world is not going to stop. I'd ask lots of questions of his teachers about his work, what he's doing, where do they see challenges etc. I'd reassure your ds that you care, that you will listen, that you are doing what you can to help him not be frustrated. And I'd get an evaluation smile

Best wishes,

polarbear

B
    BinB Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    polarbear: Thank you for the reality check. I met with his teacher yesterday (she thinks he is just being stubborn, which is a possibility smile but probably not the whole issue). You are right -- the world will not stop if he doesn't do his homework. I did let the teacher know that I would not promise to do the unfinished classwork that she sends home.

We're going to start with a full vision exam, for now. If that's clear, and if things haven't improved in a month or so, we'll look into getting an assessment for dyslexia or other problems.

KJP: Thank you for the link to the other forum -- got some good advice about reading tutoring there. Whatever the issue is, it seems like tutoring is going to be necessary.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM