Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    #16798 05/26/08 08:25 AM
    acs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just heard this story on NPR about getting into college these days. I do think things are different now than they were in the "old days." But is also sounds like personalizing your application process and not "shotgunning" will help.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=90824271

acs #16812 05/27/08 05:53 AM
    W
    W
    Read an article a couple of weeks ago about college applications getting so competitive. Kids with perfect scores and great extracurricular activities that would have gotten acceptances at a few ivy schools are now getting rejected because too many perfect scores and extracurricular.

If you don't have a couple of extra languages, started your own business and/or work in DC (or Hague) as a page for a year, concentrate on those safety schools.

Ren

acs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think it is always a good idea to have a good back-up plan. I know many very bright people who have gone to their second choice school and have had wonderful college experiences and ultimately were really grateful to have not gotten into their first choice.

What I have heard, too, though, is that college admissions people get tired of looking at applications that are too slick and not personal enough. It's just like applying for a job; you don't just say here are my qualiications. You say "here is why I want to be at your institution; this is why I am a good fit." In my day, person might apply to 3 schools. Now many kids are applying to 10 or more and the applications lose that personal touch. Other factors being similar, they will pick the one who really wants to be at their school.

acs #16819 05/27/08 08:23 AM
    Good advice acs.

Personally, I think the "ivies" are overrated and overpriced. I don't think it's all that important where you go for your undergraduate degree. I got my BS in math at Linfield College (have you ever heard of it?) and then received a full fellowship to UC Berkeley (a math powerhouse) for my PhD.

You can get an excellent liberal arts education with lots of interesting travel and research opportunities for undergrads at Linfield. I know I sound like a commercial, but it is really a good deal!

My DH went to Cal Poly after being in the army and was accepted into the math program at Berkeley as well.

Cathy

Last edited by Cathy A; 05/27/08 09:27 AM.
    W
    W
    I think it all depends on the college experience you want. DH went to Harvard for undergrad and they were the happiest years of his life, before DD of course.

I am Canadian and I went to the University of Western Ontario. It is a top school in Canada, a big school with a great football team -- lots of parties. We didn't know from a liberal arts college type of experience in Canada. You went to a university. And after two years, you could apply to medical, dental or law school. They did not choose many after two years, but it was standard to apply and the universities had the standards for those applications and the course requirements.

(Here's where I shoot myself in the foot) I think the world is changing and the chance to get to good doctoral programs will require more focused and advanced grounding, in schools that have the money for research, for great professors. Just like the crazy NYC experience. Her preschool doesn't guarantee her a spot in a good ongoing school but it is amazing how many private schools have great admission rates to certain top colleges. This one to Harvard, this one to Yale. You look at the lists and you have a peer group that applies and wants to go to top schools. And those kids are ones that will also want to do well. Unlike my party peer group.

I can justify any college experience, but I would like DD to have a high bar to challenge her, since she has the gifts to go for it. Yes, it will cost me $500K to put her through Harvard. And another $500K to put her through a professional school. But we have one child and we have the funds. And DH is doing fundraising in his class and giving generously at those every 5 year reunions to position our little legacy in another dozen years. She already enjoys going to the Harvard club for dinner and parties.

So yes, I would like her to go to Harvard. It may not guarantee her life success, but I would like her in a peer group that keeps her motivated and challenged and there is more probability at Harvard, where there is always someone smarter and will make you think.

Ren

It's a heavy load to carry for a 3 year old Ren.

High Expectations are great, but you need to be careful that your wishes/dreams don't kill hers. They may be different and at 3 I don't think anyone knows what they are.

#16832 05/27/08 11:29 AM
    acs Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am posting a link to an article about a young woman we know. She won a Marshall Scholarship last year and she went to The College of Idaho, a small liberal arts college with at student body of about 750, and who has heard of it?!? It's a very prestigious scholarship and we were very proud of her!
    http://www.collegeofidaho.edu/administration/communications/pressreleases.asp?PRID=605

I was also curious about who, in general, wins this scholarship. So I looked it up http://www.marshallscholarship.org/scholars/ They are accepting people from all over the country, from all different schools, not just Harvard, Stanford and Yale. I think this says than these folks are looking for more than where you graduated from, but what you can do.

Last edited by acs; 05/27/08 11:38 AM.
    acs #16833 05/27/08 11:48 AM
    Here's a shameless plug link for my Alma Mater cool

http://www.linfield.edu/

#16834 05/27/08 11:49 AM
    W
    W
    I don't think it is about expectations. I don't want her to become an underachiever and get lazy because things come so easily. And at 3, I am starting to see habits develop.

I want her interacting with engaging intelligent friends that will keep her motivated to keep learning. These are not expectations, these are concerns.

What I wrote about competitiveness for college/plus education, is not about 17 applications. I am hearing 75 plus applications. With the automation, kids can find scholarships more easily, apply to colleges more easily, but it also means more competition. So it becomes like 1000 or 10000 people applying for a job on line. You have to have the key requirements to make the cut before human hands even get to you.

And, like I wrote in my first line, it is about the college experience you want. To me, Harvard does give you a good education, but it more about the community of Harvard. It is a different kind of college experience. But that is a stand-alone. It is better to go to Stanford than Dartmouth or Cornell (unless you want to be in hotel management). Or Penn State (but then you are stuck in bloody State College, PA). Or MIT if you want to focus on tech, or Syracuse if you want journalism.

And I used to recommend Yale because there was this amazing bread, best bread ever,ever, ever, that you could get at this health food store near Yale. But the bread is gone and now Yale is a 4 letter word in this household.

So didn't say it was the end all and be all. Just favored. And since I got DD a Canadian passport after her arrival, going to a great Canadian school would be so much cheaper, but it is different. Being on the Harvard perifery and comparing my alumni experience, way different.

Ren

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...