Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    We cant get acceleration for ds (now in 2nd grade). He has a MAP score last spring in math of 235. His math homework has been "explain 3+4 = 7 and how did you get to your answer"

I'm pretty sure DS5 will always fail these types of questions. His answer would be (while giving you his weirded out look) "I just KNOW it!"

DD's was this "are you INSANE?? Or STUPID beyond redemption??" look and an emphatic; "Why? BECAUSE IT IS, that's why."

Please go hug your DD for me. She's a total gem.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    My ds's response to this kind of work is, "don't YOU know? I think babies know how to do this. My little brother does."

L
    L
    My DD would get mad and then yell "mom, i am not going to answer that question". She gets real angry when people ask her stupid questions.

P
    P
    His math homework has been "explain 3+4 = 7 and how did you get to your answer"

After seeing three kids through early elementary and way way *way* tooooo toooo too many "explain how did you get your answer" math problems... this is the conversation that took place at our house last night when my 4th grader asked me to check her math homework.

Her first problem had her calculate the answer to a string of numbers that included addition/subtraction/multiplication etc, then asked them to do the same thing again but with the numbers in a different order. The strings were enclosed in large outlined boxes. DD just wrote the answer in for both strings, didn't show any work.

Me: "You got the right answer, but how did you get it? You didn't show your work."

DD: "What work?"

Me: "How you got the answer... you know... what part of the equation did you calculate first, then what did you add or multiply together..."

DD: "I did that all in my head."

Me: "That's great, and I know you're good at math problems, but doesn't your teacher want you to write down how you did your work?"

DD: "Nope! She said we can do our work in our head as long as we get the right answer."

Me, now flat on the floor, surrounded by kids attempting to revive me with smelling salts after I had passed out from the shock of an elementary school math problem where the student isn't expected to show their work and then write an essay on how they came up with their method of solving the problem.

OK, slight exaggeration on the smelling salts, but wow... totally odd response from a teacher after years of my kids having to write little essays to answer their math problems lol!

polarbear

M
    M
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    We cant get acceleration for ds (now in 2nd grade). He has a MAP score last spring in math of 235. His math homework has been "explain 3+4 = 7 and how did you get to your answer"

I'm pretty sure DS5 will always fail these types of questions. His answer would be (while giving you his weirded out look) "I just KNOW it!"

DD's was this "are you INSANE?? Or STUPID beyond redemption??" look and an emphatic; "Why? BECAUSE IT IS, that's why."

Please go hug your DD for me. She's a total gem.

oh, and usually after DS5's "I just KNOW IT!" also comes "You are just JOKING with me, RIGHT???" ... Can't wait till he says that to his teacher! lol

D
    D
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Me, now flat on the floor, surrounded by kids attempting to revive me with smelling salts after I had passed out from the shock of an elementary school math problem where the student isn't expected to show their work and then write an essay on how they came up with their method of solving the problem.

Love it.

DS11 used to write a standard essay on these in 1st and 2nd grade: How did you get your answer? "My brain gave it to me."

M
    M
    I vote for moomin's answer

Last edited by MumOfThree; 09/05/13 02:24 PM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by moomin
    "explain 3+4 = 7 and how did you get to your answer"

You could just have DS actually engage with the question...

3+4=7

3+4 will only equal 7 in a base 10 system. If, for example, you were using base 6 you could just as easily justify 3+4=11.

Contrawise, you could prove it axiomatically:

a + b = c
    4a – 3a + 4b – 3b = 4c – 3c
    4a + 4b – 4c = 3a + 3b – 3c
    4(a + b – c) = 3(a + b – c)
    4 = 3

Crap.

*Snort*

I love this answer, so much.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard