Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by HappilyMom
    My thought is getting OT/handwriting and assistive technology training for him through the school would be great in addition to perhaps adaptive PE?? I need to learn more about what CAN happen... perhaps even counseling/social learning options?

When you do go through the eligibility process for the IEP, you'll want to ask for everything that you feel your ds needs. You might not get it - our school district does not provide the same level of services to non-public-school students that it is able to provide the kids who are enrolled in public school - but even if you can't get a service you feel your child needs provided through the schools, if he's found eligible for that service, you have a record in the school district of his being found eligible for that service based on need that you can use as part of his history if/when he returns to public school.

polarbear

M
    M
    Yes. I think that will be true that I will need to contact the Sp. Ed Director... and maybe sometime we can manage a playdate. And I need to remove my district. smile

yes ... I'd remove it smile. I wasn't trying to be nosey, just so you know. But I knew it rang a bell with me. But I'm glad you put it in since we can both relate and help each other fight our fights! smile

I have had numerous correspondence and personal contact with our Special Ed director over the last 2 years (DS5 first started with external speech services back when he was 3). She knows I know a lot and doesn't give me too much runaround. I just go directly to the point. Always politely, always thanking them for what they have done or tried to do and then I push for whatever I need. She has made a lot of promises right from the start and I hold her to them! smile

A
    A
    HappilyMom, here's wishing you a wonderful start to your homeschooling journey. You've had a lot of mud slung at your DS, and (FWIW) I think you're handling the situation with aplomb.

Angry Birds is a great start to homeschooling day #1. May I propose day #2's theme be effigies? wink

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    HappilyMom, I forgot to mention, DS5 when he comes home from K (it's just an afternoon class), all he wants to do is build these huge Angry Birds towers from lego blocks. When he runs out of legos, he starts adding other blocks and objects. It's all about Angry Birds. Right now he's obsessed with counting down to the Angry Birds Star Wars 2 release! lol (or whatever it is that should be out this week)

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Yes! Angry Birds Star Wars 2 release is a major focus with that countdown.

Aquinas-- Hmmm? He would love to learn about effigies! Is that Social Studies or History?? He watched about 20 different Brain Pops after that..... Only pausing when I told him he wasn't old enough to listen to the one on menstruation!! He said "I just want to learn about everything I can, Mom!". I told him let's wait a few years for that one.

Polar-- I left it in. Just couldn't get the phone call in with DS here. We need to go out and get some more exercise and I just needed to send those emails. I may follow up with a typed letter to confirm receipt and do all the formal "homeschool withdrawal" things the local groups recommend doing. Just wanted to send notice today and start the next phase.

H
    OP Offline
    H
    I have an update. Got lovely emails back from the Principal and Psychologist. No response from teacher. The Psychologist's was very, very kind and gracious. She seemed genuinely sad that she had not been able to help. Both provided the contact for the district evals for private and parochial schools. Principal said she had spoken to her and that she was expecting my call. I expect I will call and begin the process again tomorrow.

I had a lovely conversation with my MIL who is a current public school teacher but who also homeschooled 2 of her 4 children at various points when that was warranted. She suspects I will "never regret making this change" for my son. Both my younger sister (no children yet) and my younger brother's wife are very committed to homeschooling in addition to a few local and many non-local friends. So here we go...

M
    M
    Sounds like things are going in the right direction!

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Yes. And teacher chimed in with her last little bit now:

Oh, I’m sorry to hear that! I had worked for about 3 hours over the weekend getting things ready to address some of the issues you brought up. I was looking forward to trying some strategies to help make things better ...

So snide and so untrue but likely said to cover the truth that she had no intention of accommodating his disabilities but realizes now she could be in trouble for her previous actions. Glad to be done with her and her toxicity.

D
    D
    Yes. And teacher chimed in with her last little bit now:

Oh, I’m sorry to hear that! I had worked for about 3 hours over the weekend getting things ready to address some of the issues you brought up. I was looking forward to trying some strategies to help make things better ...

So snide and so untrue but likely said to cover the truth that she had no intention of accommodating his disabilities but realizes now she could be in trouble for her previous actions. Glad to be done with her and her toxicity.

We had a teacher like this too--she would say the right thing when she was caught out, but everything she did was totally toxic (to use your most excellent characterization). I hope everything goes well for you and your son! smile

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM