Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    J
    Jenna Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    DS3.5 has been struggling with sensory sensitivities (he seems to have both some avoidance and some seeking tendencies related to crowds, noises, movement, certain fabrics and tags, light touch...). He's also seems to have what looks like some anxiety related to budding perfectionism, and sleep issues. He becomes overwhelmed sometimes and doesn't seem to have as easy a time of self soothing or calming with support as he did even 6 months ago (he's biting his nails and picking at his fingers, and having long inconsolable cries). We saw an educational therapist this Spring and the way she described it was that he's taking in so much more sensory information than some people and may be having a hard time processing it. She encouraged me to read up on Debrowski and I have. I've been working with him emotional literacy and stress management at home and the preschool is doing their best to help but he's often in trouble at school and this makes the nights after a "rough day" (his words) hard because he spins round about it for hours at home. So after 3 months on the cancelation list I got the call for DS3.5 Occupational Therapy evaluation for next week. I guess I'm looking for any words of wisdom anyone has about how to prepare him for the appointment and also for any new tips for how to encourage the development of self regulation in my wonderful, enthusiastic, motivated good, but intense boy. He understands well why we go to doctors and that there are different doctors who could help us in different ways. I'm not sure he should expect many questions or should be prepared to do different tasks that may/ may not make him uncomfortable. Maybe we should just go with the flow but I'd like to at least give him a guideline for what to expect ?? Thanks for any advice.
    Jenna

M
    M
    I guess I varies from OT to OT but all three of my kids LOVE our OT. They are always so happy and excited to have a turn to see him.

M
    M
    My kids have seen our OT at all points between 6 months and 10yrs, there is no age at which they have not had fun and been easily engaged by him. He is very good...

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Agreeing with the others. OT was always a fun thing for my kids. I'd just tell him that he's going to go play games with the OT, which from his perspective would be the truth.

P
    P
    I agree with the others - I have a dd who went through sensory OT, and the eval and the therapy were always fun for her - it's been years since she "graduated" (she's 11) and she *still* asks to go back every now and then!

Re the escalation in sensory needs you've seen over the past 6 months, I'd consider looking into whether or not something upsetting might be going on at preschool. You mentioned your ds is "getting in trouble" at preschool - we had a similar thing happen with my same dd around 3 years old, including "getting in trouble at preschool" and increasing sensory stuff - turns out the issue was she *is* a high-sensory child but she was also in a situation where a preschool staff member was treating her badly (and we had no idea), and at the same time she had a medical condition developing that we didn't know about. Chances are neither of those are going on with your ds, but what I'm getting at is it's possible everything that's happening with your ds is simply related to his having unusually high sensory needs, or it *might* be that the changes in sensory needs you are seeing are due to some other type of stress ramping up in his life - and at 3, if he's getting into trouble at preschool, there's a chance something's not quite right there.

Best wishes,

polarbear

My DS5 has been working with an OT for the past 1.5 years. He loves meeting with her because their sessions are fun for him. Her initial assessment was based in play for him (I gave the info and answered questions). Your little one sounds like he has similar struggles as my DS. It has taken us a while, but we are finally getting a handle on his triggers and, through trial and error, are helping him find self-soothing methods that work. The biggest success has been incorporating therapeutic brushing. It sounded so kooky to DH and I that we actually laughed out loud when the OT suggested it. DS was very resistant to deep pressure and did not like joint compressions, but he begs for his 'brushes'. We usually brush him two to three times a day when life is good for him... sometimes up to six times a day when he is struggling.

A good part of DS's ability to cope with his sensory issues is related to his anxiety. When he is upset about a situation or worried about something, he just can' cope. He dissolves into tantrums and crying. When everything is going well in his world, the noises and the touches don't phase him nearly enough. Some mornings he jumps onto the bus and others he is screaming for his ear defenders. It is difficult to parent a child like this because we never know which version of DS we will encounter in any given situation. Preparing his new school for him was stressful for us. I joke about making him a 'Handle with care' shirt with a disclaimer in small print.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    J
    Jenna Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thank you all for the advice and approaches. I'm happy and relieved to hear that OT can be both a fun and beneficial experience. Good food for thought Portia Polarbear and Kathleen'sMum. I notice his anxiety and stronger response to triggers seem to go together. I suspect that the transition to/ from preschool and summer program is difficult for him too and that may be part of it. He's very sensitive to new kids coming and established relationships degrading when friends leave. Also the expectations and activities are different with the fun summer extras - some of which were both really fun and stressful for him at the same time. I've been satisfied with the new teacher this year but not sure the assistant has as much patience and consistency. The structure for reinforcement and consequences is different too. I'll try to keep an open mind at least through the adjustment period. Thanks again!

H
    H
    I also want add that OT has been amazing for our 6yr old. When there are tough days at school, the techniques that our OT does and has taught me have been so helpful to physically remove some of that stress. Giving him "heavy work", swinging, crashing, and deep pressure are now tools he requests to decompress from his stress. I expect you and your child are going to really appreciate what your OT brings in to your life.

Have you read The Out of Sync Child or The Out of Sync Child has Fun? Those books should be immensely helpful for your son's sensory issues. We love the activities in the Fun book! Even better for 3yrs old. smile

My DS hated his first OT, was in pre-k so about 4.5 years old. The OT had no experience with someone as bright as he was. She typically worked with individuals challenged on multiple fronts. So her typical approaches really put DS off. He did about 8 sessions but it became pretty apparent it was a bad fit. He now has an OT in his gifted school and it is much much better. So I would just advise to evaluate the relationship as the better the connection formed the better the OT will be able to help your child with what needs work.

DeHe

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM