Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    MbaMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    DD6 (Kindergarten-late birthday and rigid entrance regulation)had an appointment for psych evaluation this week, and while we will receive her results on Monday the psych indicated that she is dyslexic. This actually makes sense, because she LOVES to be read to but hems and haws when asked to read aloud. She worked on Reading Eggs this spring and summer, but has issues when she encounters words in a book that we *know* she can read on a flashcard. That is an entirely different post, though...

Right now we are searching for appropriate reading material. She owns a lot of beginning reader books, and she looks through them and reads them once or twice before she's done with them. Our assumption is that she memorizes the books after we read them aloud to her, and then practices reading them using context clues and guessing. When my husband or I read a bedtime story, she picks a book of fairy tales or a longer, more complex, book. She moved to a new school this year (private K-6) where she has library class on Thursdays, and she brought home a Littlest Pet Shop chapter book last week. I'm thrilled that she loves going to Library, and that her librarian let her pick a more complex book. This has caused a revelation for us: she enjoys books that she is not capable of reading to herself. To reiterate the fact she told me last night when I picked a beginning reader for us to read together ( http://www.amazon.com/Im-Going-Read...r=1-1&keywords=no+more+tv+sleepy+cat) that she "hates this book, it's too boring". She told me she would read it with me, but she still hates it. I'm a book lover, and I am so happy that she enjoys reading. I want to support her reading habit, so my questions are:

1. Is it typical for a child to love books that are above their "reading level"? She comprehends what is read to her; she gave my Mom an enthusiastic synopsis of each chapter of her Littlest Pet Shop book.

2. What books would you suggest that are on this book's level? She loved it so much that she brought it home again, because she said she couldn't find the next book in the series when she went to Library yesterday. Per Amazon, the recommended age is 7-10 and the grade level is 2-5.

1) ABSOLUTELY! Especially at that age, their comprehension is typically much more advanced than their reading skills.

2) My daughter loves the Magic Treehouse books, and I'm reading How to Train Your Dragon to her now and she's really into it.

~amy
    1) My DD8 had me reading Harry Potter to her when she was 5, so that's a definite "yes."

2) The book my DD currently declares to be the best one she ever read falls right within that same level you described. It's called "The Castle in the Attic." There are two of them, actually, and DD found the second one first (she found it in the library, and decided to read it because the cover reminded her of, yes, there's a theme here, Harry Potter). The first one is called "The Battle for the Castle."

But honestly, my DD is all over the place when she reads, because it's more based on interest and content than how challenging it is. I wouldn't be surprised if your DD could comprehend even more challenging reads, especially if you're the one doing the reading, as you can fill in any gaps on archaic language, idioms, etc. that might be expected to go over her head. So if I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about the reading levels.

P
    P
    Re #1 - ABSOLUTELY - I think this is true for most kids, and was true for each of my children, one who learned to read easily, another who had severe vision issues that made learning to read difficult until the vision issues were resolved, and my 3rd dd who has a dyslexia diagnosis.

We were told it was *really* important for our dyslexic dd to have us read books to her that were at her comprehension level (audio comprehension) - both for her enjoyment but also to keep her vocabulary and "reading" comprehension etc progressing.

FWIW, we have also been told that reading aloud is important for *all* children, for as long as they'll let you smile We still read aloud to our teenager smile

Re which books o chose - have you thought of just going to the library together and letting her pick out whatever interests her? I would make some suggestions but I honestly can't remember what my kids liked at that age (I'm getting old lol!) The only thing I remember for sure is we read (original, not condensed) classics and other interesting higher level books out loud to our kids when they were very little and we never really found a book they weren't interested in and couldn't follow. Our kids also liked the abridged kid's classics when they were learning to read - so that's the one book I can remember that my dd liked - I can't remember the name of the series, but it's the "Jane Eyre" version in the series of easy-to-read children's classic books. DD read that book probably 1800 times. I will never forget her Kindergarten teacher having the kids sit in circle and everyone told what the name of their favorite book was (they didn't have to know how to read, just a favorite book). After almost a full circle of kids naming picture books, dd said "Jane Eyre". Her teacher was, um, not used to that answer lol!

polarbear

ps - Dude mentioned Harry Potter - my kids all also loved HP around this age.

Last edited by polarbear; 09/13/13 12:31 PM.
    M
    MbaMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all for the suggestions! We have read a few chapters of A Little Princess at night, and she enjoyed it, so we will definitely bridge to other classics. She loves the Pippi Longstocking movie, and Harry Potter is a family obsession, so those are others we will look at as well. I don't love reading aloud, and I'm mentally exhausted by her bedtime, so I'm going to have to build up my endurance! I found audiobook versions of the first few Harry Potters at a consignment store, so we may follow along together.

The public library is one of her favorite places because she loves books, but she gets overwhelmed by the choices so I try to narrow the field for her to choose. I grabbed a Katie Kazoo (glad for the warning re: redundancy) and the first Magic Treehouse book, and I can't wait to read them with her!

I appreciate the help and feedback from everyone. Like many others, I have lurked for a while and gained significant advice/affirmation from all of your experiences!

I just wanted to add, I do this with my son, who doesn't have any reading difficulties, as well. Right now I'm reading Miss Peregrin's Home For Peculiar Children. I've noticed that he likes to stop periodically to ask questions, and I think it's partly asking how to discuss something he's thinking... what words to use, etc.

~amy
    Originally Posted by epoh
    I just wanted to add, I do this with my son, who doesn't have any reading difficulties, as well. Right now I'm reading Miss Peregrin's Home For Peculiar Children. I've noticed that he likes to stop periodically to ask questions, and I think it's partly asking how to discuss something he's thinking... what words to use, etc.

I didn't wait for DD to stop me to ask a question, though she was certainly welcome to at any time. I would preempt her with questions of my own, especially when the language got outside of her experience. "Do you know what that means?"

At various times I'd interject other questions, too, to gauge her understanding of the material, and get her thinking more deeply about it. "Why do you think this character did that?" "Do you think that was a good idea?" "What do you think will happen next?" Etc.

When we read HP, these options presented themselves: "How is this different than the movie?" "Which version of this event did you prefer?"

P
    P
    Normal but I think longer lasting and more obvious if the child has a problem with reading as it takes longer to get reading level and interest lined up.

D
    D
    totally go for it. you never know what your kid will latch on to and it's really, really major that kids have access to literary content that appeals to them while they're sorting out the learning-to-read part. audio books can be a really big help, too - but as far as stuff we're reading to her right now, DD5 is currently listening to two books:

Under Wildwood (Book 2 in a series by Colin Meloy/ read to her by her dad)
    The Secret of Chimneys (Agatha Christie/ read to her by me - we're basically reading them all - works out to about one a week.)

and of course the Harry Potter series and Alice in Wonderland and the abridged Jane Austens and the Malory Towers series by Enid Blyton. endless fun - and she's reading basically all of those to herself now - the switch was strangely quick.

and ha, polarbear - we had a similar "favourite book" fiasco last year: The Magic of Reality by Richard Dawkins was what DD (then 4) told the class. she was literally obsessed with it, sketching things out of it and going over the chapters hundreds of times. apparently there's nothing like a little evolutionary biology to make teachers jump to all the wrong conclusions...

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    K
    K
    DD had little tolerance for sitting through regular chapter books until I started reading the Ramona Quimby series. Then she was hooked, and I've read lots since then (Little House on the Prairie books, the Borrowers, Mrs. Piggle Wiggle...). As much as DD loves Henry and Mudge (which she can read on her own), she enjoys a more complex storyline.

I use the AR Bookfinder site (http://www.arbookfind.com/default.aspx) to get a sense of a book's grade level. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's something. It's also a good site to find books by the same author, or in the same series.

eta: I mostly read the kids books that I enjoyed reading as a kid, and that they may not necessarily pick up on their own. But, sometimes we have a fail. I tried reading E. Nesbit's "The Railway Children" and we just couldn't get through it. DS asked me to quit reading Mary Poppins after the first chapter. I think in both cases the language was just a little too difficult for them.

Last edited by KnittingMama; 09/14/13 08:34 AM.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM