Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Short, quick reviews are better than long practice sessions. That's a Fact is simple and quick. You can turn the timer off too.

http://www.harcourtschool.com/activity/thats_a_fact/english_K_3.html

M
    M
    Thanks!

B
    B
    You can also try Xtra Math.com for fluency--it's only a few minutes per day, but it actually has a shoter time limit than Big Brainz (I think with Xtra Math they have to type in the answer within 3 seconds--not sure if a parent can change the settings). The one thing I don't like about other fluency programs like Xtra Math as opposed to Big Brainz, is that they teach addition and subtraction separately, so then when a kid masters addition, they have a really hard time switching the sign in their head. With Big Brainz they teach addition/subtraction as number partners which fits perfectly with the curriculum they do in school. So 2+1=3, 3-1=2, 3-2=1, etc.

My DD has pretty severe ADHD (DS might as well, actually)and these fluency programs are frustrating for her if she's not properly medicated. Doesn't matter which program it is--if it's timed, she has problems. Not sure what the answer is. She has to do a fluency program at school, too. She didn't seem to be making much progress there so I decided to intervene at home over the summer. Teacher last year said she was almost always the last kid in the class to get written math work done, and now it is much better, so I think it worked.

M
    M
    There is no point even sitting her at the computer without her medication, but even on it BigBrainz (which we otherwise love, for similar reasons to you) is just too fast. To be honest I am not sure even I could pass the final retention for multiplication. I never tried on my own without distractions, I've only tried typing my DDs verbal answers and we never got through it, which was a pretty bitter end for her, getting through all levels but never "finishing" the game. Clearly we are not fast people. Possibly my only problem is not being that proficient at the number keypad. But I tend to get stressed by the time pressure as well (I think possibly I should just turn the terrible sound effects and stressy music off), which is ironic because I have never been stressed by tests or exams, nor generally had trouble completing them in time (usually quite the contrary).

B
    B
    I've heard that complaint by others about Big Brainz. Too many distracting graphics or whatever. But the time limit actually seems pretty long compared to other programs I've seen. I think it just depends on the kid. DS likes the music as loud as possible (he's probably sensory-seeking), and gets a huge kick out of just screwing around--throwing his lizard-alien runt into lava pits, off cliffs, etc., making him run around like an unruly toddler with ADHD, etc. If he gets answers wrong, it doesn't bother him. I find him by himself laughing hysterically at the game and the fact that he's getting beaten by a spiked club. DD, on the other hand, can get upset or frustrated depending on her mood. I wish I could find a good fluency program for her that she actually wants to do everyday. She made it all the way through multiplication, including the post test which she did fine on, then a week later she had forgotten 1/3 of the facts. Or at least couldn't recall them within the time limit. Maybe it's just too much to ask of a kid with processing speed/focus issues.

Last edited by blackcat; 09/12/13 07:30 PM.
    M
    M
    Blackcat - my elder DD really did learn the multiplication facts completely and thoroughly with bigbrainz. She became the best in her class at competitive games with multiplication and she has retained that knowledge for a couple of years now. But she never ever managed to complete the final retention and she would end up a screaming teary mess. She doesn't find the graphics distracting at all (none of my kids do). But the noises are extremely stress/doom inducing, for me anyway... She'd end up too busy feeling panicky to actually respond fast enough.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM