Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    Good morning everyone, I just got back from the assessor's with preliminary scores, no written report yet. He said that he felt these are low for my son as he had some attention issues, he didn't do enough testing to diagnose any 2e issues though. He did say that we could do further assessment to find out how much attention was an issue. Obviously he isn't Davidson level but this seems the best place to get some help interpreting these scores. Do you think that we should pursue additional testing? What would these scores suggest for strengths and weaknesses?

Verbal comprehension -- 114 Percentile 82
    Perceptual Reasoning -- 121 Percentile 92
    Working Memory -- 102 Percentile 55
    Processing Speed -- 83 Percentile 13
    Full Scale -- 109 Percentile 73
    GAI -- 121 Percentile 92

Subtest
    Block Design -- 15
    similarities -- 11
    Digit Span -- 12
    Picture Concepts -- 11
    Coding -- 4
    Vocabulary -- 14
    Letter-Number Sequence -- 9
    matrix Reasoning -- 14
    comprehension -- 13
    Symbol Search -- 10

Thanks!!

E
    E
    That coding score is eye-poppingly out of sync with the rest. I would want to know what the tester thought the reason for that was.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Yes! You need to pursue additional testing. There's a big spread between those scores and the GAI is higher than the FSIQ. Processing speed with coding as you know is quite low.

I'd be looking for something that slows the speed--anxiety, motor disability, memory, dysgraphia, attention. I'm sure there are other issues that can slow speed too. Others can chime in with their own experience too.

Achievement testing might give a better idea about how challenges affect performance/learning/showing what he knows. And there is more in depth testing that can be done by a professional who can use the test results that you have and combine it with knowledge of every day function to help in making a clearer diagnosis if one is warranted.

Does he have difficulty with writing? Fine motor activities in general? What do you see at home and school that might make you suspicious of a disability?

The tester said directly that there are attention issues, but he has not had enough time with DS and did not do testing for it. So while he is not going to diagnose him with attention deficit, he knows there are problems there. The teacher has thought he has either ADD or ODD but I don't see it at home. So in part this testing was to see if some of his issues are that he has been bored in class and less ADD/ODD. The dr mentioned that I seem to let him take the lead interest wise so I might not see it as I allow him to stay engaged in things through his own subject choices. Which I do so maybe that explains why I just don't see ADD.

DS hates to write and has horrific handwriting. I have seen perfectionistic tendencies and anxiety issues with being right, and worrying over things he can not help.

The tester also pointed out that when he asked him to write as much of the alphabet as he could as quickly as possible, he still stopped to erase letters to rewrite them so they looked as good as he could get them. And we talked a little about the possibility of perfectionist/anxiety effecting his scores, He said that while he didn't think he saw those too much that they still may have effected his score and would cause more issues for him in a classroom. I however have seen him absolutely refuse to do things because he might not get the right.

He said that the thinks DS needs a very structured environment with a no nonsense you have do do it even if you don't want to attitude (in a caring way of course). Which is pretty much how I handle him at home so that part at least sounded right to me. But it just seems like the testing only scratched the surface and left me with more questions than answers.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    That coding score is eye-poppingly out of sync with the rest. I would want to know what the tester thought the reason for that was.

I agree, I will have to ask him about that.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by magicsonata
    He said that the thinks DS needs a very structured environment with a no nonsense you have do do it even if you don't want to attitude (in a caring way of course). Which is pretty much how I handle him at home so that part at least sounded right to me. But it just seems like the testing only scratched the surface and left me with more questions than answers.

I would be very careful not to make assumptions about the type of learning environment or an ADHD diagnosis without further testing to tease out why the coding, symbol search and letter-number sequence scores are relatively low (coding in particular). Your description of your ds...

"DS hates to write and has horrific handwriting. I have seen perfectionistic tendencies and anxiety issues with being right, and worrying over things he can not help."

... matches the exact description I would have given you of my ds at 8, prior to his dysgraphia diagnosis. My ds was also suspected of having ADHD by his teacher, who was used to seeing students with ADHD but had never heard of dysgraphia.

It's really difficult to get to the root of what's up with students with behaviors that signal something is up and test scores that are scattered all over the place - the challenge is that there are overlaps of symptoms among ADHD and LDs and other challenges. In spite of that, the test scores you have are giving you quite a bit of information - the key is to get the follow-up testing that will help make sense of the scatter.

For instance, coding involves making a mark in a certain direction and it's a timed test. Skills involved include the ability to hold a pencil, to control the fine motor connections between brain and fingers, the ability to see the symbols clearly, and more. So a child who can't well might score low, a child who can't control finger motion might score low, and a child who just wants to be sure he makes nice-looking marks therefore takes his time might score low. Our neuropsychologist ran two types of tests as follow-up for a low coding score: a test of visual-motor integration, and a finger tapping test. The visual-motor will help show whether or not there is a visual challenge or fine motor, and the finger tapping test relates to fine motor.

Our neuropsych eval also included a specific test of attention (on the computer) as well as executive function testing, behavioral surveys filled out by parents and teacher - these were used to determine if our ds had ADHD. He came in borderline on his first eval, primarily because his teacher's behavioral survey strongly suggested issues with attention. Our parent survey didn't, and we didn't see the problem at home. I understand that as parents we might not see the forest for the trees, or that we may be scaffolding our children's home environment in a way that supports a child so that ADHD symptoms don't arise at home - but a key part of the diagnosis is that the symptoms occurred before a certain age and that they occur in more than one setting. If you haven't seen ADHD symptoms in other places (scouts, sports, church, whatever) and you don't think you're seeing them at home, it's possible what looks like ADHD could be something else - especially when you see that type of scatter in scores.

One other thing a neuropsych eval typically involves is a parent interview which includes a full development history (from infancy), questions about current functioning at home and at school, and a look at examples of classwork etc. The parent interview revealed key things in our ds' early development that we'd simply thought of as cute quirks (very late talker, didn't crawl etc)... and yep, those may be cute quirks for a lot of kids, but the neuropsych was able to put together those along with the test results and watching ds write etc. and pull it all together in a way that made sense.

And... I hope my reply made some sense!

Best wishes,

polarbear

I
    I
    These scores are almost exactly like my ds's when he was first tested. He has really low motor visual. I knew nothing of testing and what it meant back then and the psych who did the testing didnt mention the possibility of an LD, dysgraphia or anything of that sort - she basically said the same thing as yours but I knew something was very off. A year and a half later (and a lot researching, testing and pushing from me) I think we finally have a complete picture of my DS as well as good accommodations and remediations. My DS has dyspraxia, dysgraphia and a visual processing disorder. He also has a genetic connective tissue disorder. He is also gifted.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations