Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #167185 09/10/13 07:13 PM
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    SO I said something this evening, and Nathaniel (10) turned to me and said "Why are you so odd?" LOL I jokingly replied that I was odd because I was just so incredibly smart, it made me seem odd. He looked at me and said "ME TOO !!". He said that he has been called weird in the past at school - the child who said it wasn't being mean, just making an observation. It didn't bother Nathaniel at all, he just accepted it as true, as he feels weird, compared to the other kids. We had an interesting discussion about the other kids at school - - how "smart" they are (or are not) - he doesn't see not being smart as a bad thing, thankfully, but does have a hard time understanding why so many kids take so long to "get" stuff. (Though his has one boy at his table who has an aide, and obvious struggles, which he totally understands and has no problem with). He has lots of friends, gets along great with kids of all ages, and thankfully does like school, despite the fact that he "never learns anything". I guess I'm rambling - just figured this was a safe place to share, as you all would understand. My son thinks I'm weird, just like him wink

NCPMom #167264 09/11/13 03:03 PM
    C
    C
    NCPMom, You made me smile. I have 4 kids who are very different. 2 are gifted and 2 struggle in school. They all think both my husband and I are weird and think each other are weird in different ways. We like to emphasize how God made each of us so unique with different abilities and personalities and that's really cool. We take the approach of why would anyone try to be like other people when being yourself is so much fun! My DD10 sounds a lot like your son.

Chana #167265 09/11/13 03:15 PM
    Originally Posted by drtrum
    We take the approach of why would anyone try to be like other people when being yourself is so much fun! My DD10 sounds a lot like your son.

I am happily different myself, so is my DW and we are working on building pride in that (without judging others) in our DD laugh

Become what you are
    NCPMom #167266 09/11/13 03:17 PM
    N
    N
    In our house, the response to "you're weird" is "everybody's weird"! laugh

A while back, we were at a local festival and a little girl (whose family I've known since she was born, but she doesn't really know me) was talking to her mom, and I said something to the mom. Little girl looked at me, then loudly whispered to her mom, "does she talk really fast?" and I smiled and said, "yes, yes I do." She gave me a sideways look and whispered again, "is she crazy?" and I said, "yes, I am." I don't think she thought that was funny. smile

NCPMom #167276 09/11/13 03:44 PM
    P
    P
    My DS identifies himself as a nerd and is very proud of the fact. He says that my DH is a nerd too. I said, what about me, am I a nerd - he said "no mom, you are not a nerd." I was insulted!

NCPMom #167288 09/11/13 05:02 PM
    F
    F
    We are a weird family with cats that do weird things lol.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs