Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 208 guests, and 7 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    Originally Posted by Pemberley
    Try not to over think the "mediocre" status of the more supportive school. Rigorous academics are not going to help if his LD issues prevent him from accessing the curriculum. It sounds to me like he needs to be set up for success wherever that may be. A non-supportive or overly challenging environment probably won't be the best in that regard.

This is so true. When you have a 2e kid, you almost invariably have to focus on the less desirable "e" first.

In answer to PB, DS has been at his current school since K but both of DS' fantastic advocate teachers from 6th left last year. Thus, we have no institutional memory of his accommodations this year. The school does indeed have only one teacher per subject in 7th grade so no other choices are available.

So, we toured Option 1 today and were SO impressed. When the admissions person mentioned "dysgraphia" as one of the LDs they support in their support program, DH shot me a look of wonder. Later on he whispered "That's the first person, besides you, who has ever used the word dysgraphia at school!"

We talked to the academic support teacher at length and basically they teach executive function skills (how to prioritize and plan homework, scheduling, organization assistance, etc) through direct instruction and work with the kids in any needed area.

This happens during the 3 advisory periods during the week, so it's 6 hours in the academic support classroom per week that is not a pull out from class time. They also supervise extended time on tests, help with homework, help plan writing assignments, monitor grades and address problem areas and act as DS's liaison and advocate in school. The teacher told us they like to focus on the student's strengths to teach them to compensate rather than only working on weak areas.

The academics are solid enough, if not exceptional, and they have a Mathcounts teams that I know DS will love. Plus no required after school athletics.

Just wow. Where has this school been hiding? It's actually our diagnostician who recommended it when I called to consult with her about DS' disaster in progress. I am pretty much prepared to overlook anything short of human sacrifice as far as religious differences to get him here. I still think 4 years of Bible is a bit much but the pros seriously outweigh the cons.

Thanks all for weighing in with your awesome collective wisdom. It help me make a more clear-sighted and less fear driven decision.

I
    I
    Sounds wonderful! And lol'ing at the 4 years of bible - I had 12 years of it ... I always found the classes to be easy A's and knowing the bible cones in handy... Like knowing Greek mythology, etc. smile

fwtxmom - would you mind PM'ing me the name of the school? It sounds amazing!

~amy
    F
    fwtxmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    F
    PM'd you epoh. DS has a visit Monday. Assuming it goes well, we next ask for release from our current school contract. Fingers crossed!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM