Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    C
    cc6 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    food for thought:

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Autistic children can outgrow difficulty understanding visual cues and sounds

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2013-08/aeco-acc082813.php

*perhaps this is why some children with autism appear to "recover" or "overcome" their autism? because their biggest, perhaps only issues; were the socio/emotional ie communication (pragmatics)? idk. just thinking out loud.

Last edited by cc6; 09/07/13 10:43 AM.

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

M
    M
    Makes you wonder if for some kids all those therapies they are being pushed into are really necessary, seeing that if you let nature take it's course, you might get there as well? If only would we know ahead of time how our children will turn out!

We are taking the laid back, minimum therapy approach and seeing better results that way than when DS3 was in all the therapies they wanted him in. Our biggest concern is the future, but I just feel in my gut that he will be fine.

D
    D
    Thanks for posting, cc6!

It does make me wonder how they identified the kids as having ASD in the first place. But it is good to hear, especially because DD has been suggested to have ASD even though her issues are almost exclusively the social ones.

ETA: I feel the same way, Mk13--I think our DD will be fine, too, although sometimes I wish she would make progress more quickly.

Last edited by Dbat; 09/07/13 10:53 AM.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Dbat
    Thanks for posting, cc6!

It does make me wonder how they identified the kids as having ASD in the first place. But it is good to hear, especially because DD has been suggested to have ASD even though her issues are almost exclusively the social ones.

ETA: I feel the same way, Mk13--I think our DD will be fine, too, although sometimes I wish she would make progress more quickly.

we do have an official diagnosis and DS3 a lot of times seems non-functional at all but it's very environment based. He has this natural understanding of how things are supposed to be so without anyone teaching him or showing him, he just automatically picks up on the self-care things like getting something to eat, putting dirty dishes away, cleaning up, etc. (except for potty training because he freaks at the sight of the toilet / potty). Unlike DS5 who loves to shove garbage under his bed! lol His true enemy is social situations and expectations of others. As long as he's not pushed into anything, he does great. Given how smart he is, he might not be able to work interacting with people too much even when he grows up but he still should be fine finding a job that will suit him and have a pretty normal life. I just look at him and he gives me this calm vibe that all will be fine smile

D
    D
    Originally Posted by cc6
    food for thought:
    *perhaps this is why some children with autism appear to "recover" or "overcome" their autism? because their biggest, perhaps only issues; were the socio/emotional ie communication (pragmatics)? idk. just thinking out loud.

It doesn't look like good science to me. In their press releases (which are all over the Internet, btw) they do not make clear how they chose the population of people they studied, what interventions those people received, or how they were educated.

The findings appear to amount to "wow! people learn and grow!" to which I would say, well, yes, they do. Brains change for many reasons, such as exposure to new situations and education.

My favorite piece of writing on the subject of "outgrowing autism" is John Elder Robison's, here : http://jerobison.blogspot.com/2013/01/can-we-outgrow-autism.html

I don't much buy the idea of "recovery" from autism. Most science and experience points to the idea that the neurological differences are persistent; but of course a person learns and adapts to their environment over time.

Yes, many people with autism will be fine; many will struggle to be fine in situations that are hard for them; and there are many different versions of fine. I don't think we have to imagine that everyone will be magically cured in adolescence (press release: ""In adolescence, something amazing happens and the kids with ASD begin to perform like the typically developing kids," said Dr. Foxe") to believe that they will find their own kind of fine.

JMO.
    DeeDee

What I wonder-- and I wonder this about a lot of other conditions which are not necessarily well-understood from an etiological/mechanistic standpoint...

maybe a subpopulation that shares underlying etiology DOES "recover/change" in some predictable ways during maturation.

It certainly happens in some other diagnoses which are about function rather than particular quantitative measurement of mechanism. Asthma, for example.

Why is it that SOME asthmatic children "grow out of" that asthma, while others worsen significantly during adolescence?

Most researchers in that field acknowledge that what we currently think of as "Asthma" is likely to actually be a collection of underlying causes which all result in narrowing of the airways ('asthma'). It's a symptom masquerading as a diagnosis, in other words.

I have done very little serious digging in the serious research literature surrounding ASD's, but more in that of ADD/ADHD, and the latter certainly bears the same hallmarks.

So it seems entirely plausible that some children "outgrow" whatever it was that was causing the symptoms of ASD. Too bad not enough is known for clinicians to accurately predict who they are yet. smile

All parents have now with these kinds of symptom-based umbrella diagnoses is "wait and see what happens during adolescence." We're doing it now with DD's asthma.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    I don't much buy the idea of "recovery" from autism.

Actually it's quite common for people to "recover" from autism. These are people who were misdiagnosed and didn't actually have autism in the first place.

50 years ago "Diabetes" was your diagnosis. Now, it's much more nuanced-- there's an understanding that while "high blood glucose" might be the hallmark, it's not sufficient in terms of predicting best practices and good management to leave it at that.

Type II means something very different than Type I.

Think about all of the learning challenges which used to be termed "dyslexia" for another great example.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by moomin
    seven distinct etiologies classed as High Functioning Autism or Asperger's.

We see the ASD diagnosis as a set of family resemblances: nobody has all the traits, but most of the diagnosed people have several of them.

He also felt that most kids that received those diagnoses generally fit no known etiology, and were rather just quirky or developmentally delayed.

If the "quirk" or delay impairs the child's functioning across various environments (not just school), though, it is to be taken seriously IMO. We have seen instances of under-diagnosis as well as over-diagnosis. It can be quite difficult to find a doc willing to diagnose a highly verbal, bright child with an ASD, even if functioning is obviously severely impaired and many of the classic symptoms are there. And without the dx, no help is available. (Even with the dx, sometimes no help is available.)

As a researcher he felt that there should be a narrowing of the diagnosis of autism to a core community, that could then be more effectively targeted with research and treatment.

I would argue for more differentiation, but not to narrow the pool or throw out diagnosable people; rather to make it clearer who needs what help to succeed and grow.

I agree that it's the Wild West out there in many respects.

DeeDee

B
    B
    Interesting article. DS (now 6) has had the term "autism" or "asperger's" thrown around by various people ever since he was a preschooler. He did have some interesting quirks/delays but I believe that they can mainly be attributed to uneven brain maturation and/or developmental coordination disorder/dyspraxia. There is an overlap between autism and many other disorders (like dyspraxia). Perhaps the kids in the study should never have been diagnosed with autism, but auditory processing disorder instead. And maybe auditory processing disorder improves with age. I also think that many psychs/"professionals" are slapping the autism label around too freely. When I took DS recently to a neuropsych he said that if I had taken him elsewhere he could have easily had an Asperger's label thrown on him because of some of his mannerisms (like flapping his hands and his odd voice prosody) but DS did just fine on a test of reading others emotions and the Asperger's rating scale for parents/teacher.
    I found the book "The Einstein Syndrome" fascinating in respect to a small percentage of late talkers outgrowing their delays. Often these kids were misdiagnosed with autism and then grew out of the autism by the time they entered elem school (because they never had autism in the first place). DS was never actually diagnosed with anything but "delays" but easily could have been misdiagnosed and fits the profile in that book almost perfectly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM