Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 384 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I think ADHD is overdiagnosed, mismanaged and mistreated, but I hate that freaking Psychology Today article. What a bunch of ignorant, parent-blaming claptrap. ADHD is real, even if some doctors diagnose it at the drop of a hat, even if there are real and serious problems with how it's currently being treated, and even if the educational system has some very real culpability in its overdiagnosis. I shudder when I think of parents of kids who have ADHD reading that piece. France is all kinds of messed up in terms of how it deals with neurodiversity. Let's not take it as a model.
    A.men.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    -The strongest outcomes pair cognitive therapies with medication. Taking a kid who has only had medication intervention off of the medication leaves them back at the starting line with no coping skills.

And the behavioral/cognitive therapy that works is hard to obtain for many (most) people. This is a serious failing of the medical establishment. I will not editorialize further, but ugh.

Important to note that behavioral/cognitive therapy alone doesn't necessarily work that well for most children with ADHD. In many cases, the child cannot really access the therapy without medication, which is why the combination is often the strongest choice for moderately to severely affected children (for people who actually have ADHD, not talking about misdiagnoses here).

The choice to medicate is not IME usually taken lightly; nobody's a huge fan of giving medications to kids in principle. In our community, I see it operating as a last-ditch thing that people try after having tried a number of other ways to make life workable for their children, and I see that it is typically associated with unjustly shaming the parents first for having an uncontrollable or out-to-lunch kid, and then for drugging the kid.

Unmedicated ADHD is associated with some other really undesirable things in young adults, like alcohol and drug abuse; if you let a person's frustration level climb sky-high over years by letting them feel like a failure for how their brain works, lots of really bad things can happen. This ought to be factored into decisions. I think families mostly try to do right by their kids; I do not think most families are trying to drug their children into submission and so on.

I would like so much of this public shouting and judgment to stop: the shaming, the overdiagnosis, the pressure to medicate or not medicate. I suppose that's unrealistic of me.

DeeDee
    So well said.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    I can't type more now, ill come back later, when i have time to type and to think about how much to share, but really I could have written that article. The passages that don't make sense to moomin make perfect sense to me...

And I think some of it comes down to having a fairly decently bahaved, very gifted girl child. She does not look like most people's idea of ADHD (including not looking in attentive because in a group scenario she's gifted enough not to need to have heard the teacher and well enough behaved to have looked like she was listening). But medication is quite literally a magic pill for her, with difference obvious to everyone. She herself was absolutely clear from the first day that she felt better, liked feeling better, wanted it to last.

But the judgement we face from school, teachers, family is constant and very very hard.
    I was that girl. And I can say that I felt *more* myself on medication. I'm sorry you are being judged.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    I was that girl. And I can say that I felt *more* myself on medication. I'm sorry you are being judged.

Thank you for telling me that, it means a lot. She IS more herself, more productive, more creative, more engaged. Medication is not perfect, it has issues, but we've tried taking her off (because it's so freaking hard to have your little girl on medication) and she asked every day for her medicine and it was so obvious all the ways she was better off.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Originally Posted by deacongirl

Thank you for telling me that, it means a lot. She IS more herself, more productive, more creative, more engaged. Medication is not perfect, it has issues, but we've tried taking her off (because it's so freaking hard to have your little girl on medication) and she asked every day for her medicine and it was so obvious all the ways she was better off.

My DS10 would also say that his medication helps him be his best self. He would much rather live without the extreme anxiety and the countless very serious behavior mistakes that anxiety led him to make.

DeeDee

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    FWIW, my DD at 17 also finally felt great on the meds... until they quit working (after only 3 months).

Neurofeedback changed her life for the better, permanently, in every way. New research is coming out daily to support Neurofeedback and it has been endorsed by the American Association of Pediatrics as level one support putting it on par with Ritalin in effectiveness for treating ADHD. Additionally it has been approved by the FDA for stress (anxiety). I have seen the results first hand and I highly recommend that anyone who is concerned about their child but hesitant to medicate look into it as a first line of treatment.

Last edited by Nik; 05/21/13 07:09 PM.
    M
    M
    Nik we have plans to try neurofeedback, but its not easily accessible for us.

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    MumOfThree Google "Zengar neuroptimal". On their website they list trainers by location and some trainers offer rental units so you can do it at your convenience at home for a fraction of the price (Neuroptimal is the only system that I personally know of that is fool proof enough that I would recommend the at home route and I did a lot of research). If you are ever in Texas, look me up and I'll let you try mine for free smile

M
    M
    I'm actually in Australia... With very few, very expensive options in my state and more than one person with major health issues in the family, so we currently have neither the financial or time resources. But it's on the list.

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    a bit late on the reply, but if you get to that part of your list, these guys are in Australia and their rates look pretty reasonable:

http://www.neurowise.com.au/

I don't know if they rent machines but that would be the way to go if time and travel are issues (and it could help with dealing other major health issues)

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM