Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    R
    revmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Looking for advice on how to hand a move to a new district with a 504. I had no trouble getting a 504 for my DD14 in our former district for a visual/motor integration issue (most likely dysgraphia but no official diagnosis, but 4th percentile on a Beery VMI). Now, we have moved to a new district and I am getting a lot of push-back on the 504, so much so that the 504 coordinator is commenting that she has reviewed her work and that DD's writing is legible & that she is writing the same quantity as other students. Any suggestions on how to avoid pitfalls would be appreciated! Am looking at another 504 review in the near future per the 504 coordinator.

Is it possible that she's aging out of the current accommodations?

I might approach the meeting that way-- as in, you're "flexible" and "willing to consider updates" since the original was (I'm assuming) written some time ago, and refers to policies, practices, and procedures in a different district... naturally you'll want her 504 plan to reflect the new school setting.

In other words, treat the 504 eligibility as a foregone conclusion... and treat lightly on accommodations (for now) until you have that part locked up tight...

if they push back on accommodations that YOU feel are really not negotiable, then back up your opinion with whatever expert opinion you can muster-- OT/physician letters, whatever.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    R
    revmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Howler, she only received the accommodations a year and a half ago, and we were still tweaking them in the previous district as recently as the last quarter of the school year. So all of her accommodations are current & were put into place specifically looking toward high school and AP courses on the horizon.

Additionally, the new school setting is much more competitive and demanding - one of the best in the state - and now she's in all honors classes and needing the accommodations for extended time & computer usage more than ever.

They have been given the OT report, and I am in the process of getting physician letters.

Anything else you can think of? Thanks!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by revmom
    Looking for advice on how to hand a move to a new district with a 504. I had no trouble getting a 504 for my DD14 in our former district for a visual/motor integration issue (most likely dysgraphia but no official diagnosis, but 4th percentile on a Beery VMI). Now, we have moved to a new district and I am getting a lot of push-back on the 504, so much so that the 504 coordinator is commenting that she has reviewed her work and that DD's writing is legible & that she is writing the same quantity as other students. Any suggestions on how to avoid pitfalls would be appreciated! Am looking at another 504 review in the near future per the 504 coordinator.

revmom, fwiw - I had a tough time advocating for accommodations for my ds, and his school tried their absolute best to deny them. We were ultimately successful in our advocacy (in our case, we were advocating for accommodations and an IEP, not a 504). Here are my suggestions, based on our experience with a school that was doing everything they could to try to prove our EG ds did not have a need for accommodations:

1) The single most helpful thing I've had in advocating for my ds was a report with an actual diagnosis by a private professional (in our case, it was a neuropsych report and later on we also had a private SLP report with a diagnosis). The school would try and try to argue that test scores and classroom work showed that everything was absolutely "ok", that ds wasn't the "best" in class but he "wasn't the worse", that his handwriting "was neat and legible" etc - but we would politely and gently yet firmly ask one simple question in rebuttal to all of that "are you challenging the recommendation and diagnosis of a credentialed and respected neuropsychologist?" They couldn't say no to that.

2) Understanding the root issues behind our ds' diagnosis and how it impacts him in the classroom, on academic work, and in test settings. I think you're already 99% of the way here, but when you *suspect* dysgraphia, for example, you don't know for sure. If you knew for sure it was dysgraphia, you would know for sure that it's not simply a matter of legible handwriting that is the issue - the challenge is that the act of handwriting takes up all of a student's working memory, which in turn may prevent them from accurately spelling or using grammar, but more importantly the written output they produce with handwriting prevents them from expressing their full breadth of knowledge and ideas - that part really isn't about being an "A" or "B" student, that inability to express their full knowledge is in violation of FAPE, and that's what accommodations via Section 504 are set up to prevent from happening.

3) Having work samples and tests that pinpoint the exact ways in which their work is impacted is extremely helpful. The neuropsych testing ds had showed the justification for a diagnosis, but when the school tried to argue that it didn't, we requested they give ds two other tests that illustrated the root of ds' challenges. These tests might not apply to your child, but I'll mention them so you'll understand what I'm getting at re specific testing and examples. Our ds had very legible handwriting by the time we were advocating for accommodations because he had been through private handwriting OT. It was, however, extremely *slow* - you can test this yourself to see at home first if your dd has slow handwriting. There are different ways to test, but a private tutor had suggested to us we have ds write the alphabet, upper and lower case, and time how long that took, then divide to get letters per minute. You can google "letters per minute + 9th grade" etc online to get an idea of the different ranges that are considered typical per grade. We knew from that type of measure that our ds wrote very slowly, so we asked the school to also measure his handwriting speed. They balked, but we politely kept asking, and when they did they had to admit he was about 3 years behind grade level re speed. That in and of itself should be enough to argue that a student is allowed typing accommodations.

4) Know your school district's *true* policies and true practices on the things you are advocating for. Practice can vary from school to school, but policy should be the same across the board for the district. We found that consulting with an advocate filled in those knowledge holes for us. We didn't then go back to a meeting at our school and outright say "We know you *have* to do .... per school district policy" or "We know we would have .... without fighting at School ...."... but it gave us the confidence to know what we could request and to not back down in our requests in meetings with the school. Our school staff did try to bully us (in a nice way) by not offering up information and by trying to pretend they couldn't do something or it would be too difficult to do or by telling us it would make our ds "stand out among his peers" (in a negative way) or by telling us he didn't need it. But when we knew what we were asking for was a typical accommodation and that it conformed to school district (and state) policy, they only tried to talk us out of it until they realized we were standing firm - because they would have been out of compliance had they refused our request.

5) Include your dd's voice in these meetings - you could have her present if you think she would be up for it, or you can bring her voice in through your own testimony. Either way, at 14, she's definitely old enough to have her needs heard through her voice. She still needs you as her primary advocate, but her voice is very important.

Gotta run - hope that made sense! Good luck advocating -

polarbear

P
    P
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Remember your dd is going to really feel this. It is a slap in the face rejection of who she is and she will need your support to see this as a misunderstanding of her skills and abilities, not a personal rejection. Like if a teacher is out to get you, or always takes off because your circles aren't round.

I wanted to second what mon said here - this really impacted my ds, and not in a good way. By the time he was in 4th grade he was very aware that he had a challenge, he wanted help with his challenges, and he saw me trying my best to advocate and his school constantly battling me and not helping him.

polarbear

Z
    Z
    I'm curious if when you get a diagnosis of dysgraphia or related disorder if the professional's documentation includes the mention of pain after a certain period of time? I think that might be one of those inarguable points: "So, you want to require my son to do work that causes him physical pain?"

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    I'm curious if when you get a diagnosis of dysgraphia or related disorder if the professional's documentation includes the mention of pain after a certain period of time? I think that might be one of those inarguable points: "So, you want to require my son to do work that causes him physical pain?"

Our neuropsych's report didn't include this, but pain was very real for our ds when he was in early elementary and trying to use handwriting at school. Handwriting OT actually helped alleviate that pain to a large extent - for awhile. He's in middle school now, and starting around 6th grade ds noted that he has wrist and hand pain again if he uses handwriting for more than just a few minutes.

It has been helpful (and important) for our ds to point out to his teachers that it causes pain - this is something his teachers just don't anticipate, and no matter how hard it is to have some teachers truly understand the impact of dysgraphia on written expression content etc... they do tend to really and easily understand the concept of pain and truly don't want students to be in pain. Plus, honestly, I think they are more likely to think parents are going to be upset with the school over pain....... just a gut feeling :lol:

When/if our ds has another neuropsych eval, next time around, I want to be sure that the pain he feels when handwriting is mentioned. The report he has clearly states that he should not be using handwriting for schoolwork etc, but I still think that having the info about pain included would be helpful when advocating.

polarbear

Z
    Z
    Thanks. Pain or a complete lack of progress is what I'm keeping an eye on for DS. As we still aren't sure if it is all about vision and a late trajectory on writing or more like what I experience. I can go maybe 10 mins of trying to write neatly before the needles in the back of my hand start. Sloppily I can go longer.

R
    revmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    She definitely has pain when she writes - and that is included I her 504 that was set up in our previous district. She has pain, forms letters incorrectly, has a terrible pencil grip, cannot spell, has horrible non-verbal working memory (9th percentile on SB-V), a 4th percentile on Beery VMI. Pediatrician unwilling to diagnose "dysgraphia" but will diagnose "other disability", OT can't legally diagnose but gave suggested accommodations from a list of accommodations for dysgraphia, 1st Ed psych unwilling to diagnose dysgraphia because working memory & processing speed on WISC were average or above, 2nd Ed psych said with additional testing they could possibly diagnose an LD of written expression but would need additional testing & they would not tell me what testing they would need. At that point, I stopped pursuing a diagnosis because I was able to get her 504 without one.

M
    M
    Huh fascinating that you have pin pointed one diagnostically useful element that the sb5 has and the WISC does not - non verbal working memory! Sorry this is so frustrating for you!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations