Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 401 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 20 of 33 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 32 33
    A
    A
    I remember speaking privately to my grade 11 civics teacher (who was also my favourite teacher, as he taught economics) about the importance of providing equal class time to discuss each of the major political parties in Canada. To his credit, he changed his tune after I spoke with him, and his political stripe was later undetectable in class.

Oh...bias!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    U
    U
    HK, that poem made me throw up a little in my mouth.

DD's 4th grade science was a page about hypothesis, theory, and conclusion, etc.

There was a "think about it" type question that asked if a group of scientists are working as a team it is important for everyone on the team to have the same ideas. It then asked if that was a true or false statement and why. DD9 answered false because not everyone has the same ideas and it is better for the scientists to have different ideas in order to make each other think and come to the best conclusion. She got 2 check marks against her for that answer and I believe a 60% for the paper (it also had some other simple vocab questions she got right).

1. I think she gave a good answer that makes sense
    2. I think it sounds like more of an opinion question than a right or wrong question

N
    N
    If everyone on the team has the same ideas, there is no point in having the team. The rest of them should go do something else and stop wasting time.

Your DD's teacher gets an "F" in knowing how science works.

Z
    Z
    Insufficient information to judge the merits of the question + score. The quick assumption is that she was marked off for not answering they should have the same ideas. What if she was marked off for not explaining enough or for not drawing a full set of concepts from the lesson to support her assertion? Or if that is literally the answer, she mentioned conclusion but did not mention hypothesis or theory; the rubric could be that simple.

Like:
    It is better to have different ideas. Because those ideas are the input theories to the scientific process they will pursue together. The theories then inform a set of hypotheses to test. They test the hypotheses, and the one who had the idea most matching the conclusion has to buy the first round.

Again insufficient information to know, but it is one plausible explanation for the grading.

U
    U
    Did you know that "paying for jails" is one of the key functions of the judicial system?

Also, did you know that one can read a sentence in isolation and categorically decide whether it needs a period or an exclamation point? DH and I were cracking each other up coming up with scenarios in which ALL the sentences that "needed" a period (eg, "It's the one on the left") could need an exclamation point.

"It's the one on the LEFT! No, NO! NOT the one on the right! THE BUTTON ON THE RIGHT WILL START A THERMONUCLEAR WAR!!"

C
    C
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Did you know that "paying for jails" is one of the key functions of the judicial system?

Also, did you know that one can read a sentence in isolation and categorically decide whether it needs a period or an exclamation point? DH and I were cracking each other up coming up with scenarios in which ALL the sentences that "needed" a period (eg, "It's the one on the left") could need an exclamation point.

"It's the one on the LEFT! No, NO! NOT the one on the right! THE BUTTON ON THE RIGHT WILL START A THERMONUCLEAR WAR!!"
    Thank you for brightening my day :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail

grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Day 2.

Which of these families has a "healthy" dynamic?

"I got two A's" the small boy said.
    His voice was filled with glee.
    His father very bluntly asked,
    "Why didn't you get three?"

Mom, I've got the dishes done,"
    The girl called from the door.
    Her mother very calmly said,
    "Did you sweep the floor?"

The children in the house next door
    Seemed happy and content.
    The same things happened over there,
    But this is how it went:

"I got two A's" the small boy said.
    His voice was filled with glee.
    His father proudly said, "That's great;
    I'm glad you belong to me."

"Mom, I've got the dishes done,"
    The girl called from the door.
    Her mother smiled and softly said,
    "Each day I love you more."

Children deserve a little praise
    For tasks they're asked to do,
    If they're to lead a happy life,
    So much depends on you.

DD: Uhhh... is it just me, or is the second family, like.... WAY screwed up?? It seems deeply dysfunctional-- maybe even abusive-- to tie approval and love to performance that way. WOW. I mean, I can't say for sure that the first family isn't being obnoxious, either-- it sort of depends on the individual children and the context of the conversation. I mean, supposing that the daughter has a weekly chore list and that dishes AND sweeping are both on it, kinda reasonable... the son, well, supposing that the grade that isn't an A is a surprise to them both... uhhhh, "what went wrong here" seems pretty legit.

Clearly this isn't the interpretation that the high school course is looking for. But "building self-esteem" isn't about dishing a non-stop stream of praise, either. DD knows it.

She also-- though she's frequently HEARD things like the first two stanzas-- knows that our love for her has NOTHING to do with her performance. Ever.

She said "I think it'll be interesting to see whether the happy and content children still have mom and dad supporting them continuously once they leave home...because it seems pretty clear that THOSE kids need a continuous IV of praise to maintain their self-esteem, and that they're being conditioned to feel worthy of love only on the basis of accomplishment, much of which may not even reflect authentic achievement. What kind of person feels proud of getting an "A" in a class that they can SLEEP through, anyway?"

LOL.

That poem is crap and I completely agree with your dd. WTH is that poem doing in any kind of high school class, let alone an advanced one?

Page 20 of 33 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 32 33

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM