Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 92 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    U
    U
    BUT I would totally not talk to the teacher about this one, TBH.

P
    P
    How is it going to harm him to learn a few hard words. I agree choosing words related to what the are studying would make more sense but I would suggest the teacher forgot and just googled something and used it without thought. Not a good look but hopefully a one off.

C
    C
    I think "hard" words is just fine. In fact we all have plenty of words in our passive vocabulary, so I don't see not using it as a problem at all; whether a given child will come across a given word is hard enough to predict that I wouldn't try! Even if the child forgets the word, no harm done; the process of thinking about the word is most of the point. I'd expect, out of a list of 10, some to get a "meh" reaction, some to be quite cool, and one or two to be useful.

FWIW my son enjoys vocabulary.com, too.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    K
    K
    I think as a parent of two (older) 7 yr olds (but new 3rd graders), my girls would like the list. 2 or 3 words would be fairly difficult to wrap their life experience and interest in, 2 or 3 they know and would use (we use abhor and affinity in conversation as plays on words) and the rest would be new.

Our school (not GT) blends vocab and spelling for all kids. Kiddos that have mastered grade level spelling words get challenge words...last year in 2nd vocab challenge: they had words like determination, exhaustion (core list of words ending in -tion) or patience, perchance (-ence and -ance) . They had to spell them and use them in a sentence. They also did various vocab building activities (word search, story writing, word puzzles, etc). It was a challenge at times, but it should have been and they enjoyed the blend of new words and relevance (often they were connected in some way to something they were doing).

The two words on the challenge list were double bonus. Often they were words that did not fit in the pattern/rule and/or was exceptionally unusual or a word that is tough, but kids showed an interest in.

That is fine with me.

The process of where and the WHY of using that list would bother me though. I would see if as the school year grows, if the lists get more applicable and relevant to theme or topic.

J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Zen, that is the exact list. That's funny. I'm not shocked, my daughter had the same guy for GATE, I've heard of similar antics in the past. I'm hoping that the peer group will be helpful for him. He has struggled to make friends in the past. The teacher... meh

A
    A
    Colour me sympathetic to the list provided.

Sometimes a new word can be just the tangent needed to spur a new interest. DS, for instance, developed an interest in Medieval life/ephemera when I taught him the word "dissident". Hardly a word a toddler would use in everyday conversation, but it spawned a fascination with other equally obscure language as "crenellated battlements" and various parts of cannons.

To some extent, I think we all delight in being fact curators. I can definitely see some young children thoroughly delighting in dictionary time. I remember how much I loved uncovering a bizarre word and trying to trick my (English major) father with it at that age. That's how I learned about schadenfreude! Imagine a good villainous scheme without schadenfreude...wait...impossible!!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Z
    Z
    Some words embody so much concept. I still remember watching a Jerry Lewis movie when I was around 7 and there was a gangster who was learning the word prerogative as a word a day smarts building thing. The idea of inalienable rights and rights that attach to a person because of who they are, etc. really fired my brain up (and probably led me to getting into trouble.)

22B Offline

E
    E
    Can I just say I would be enormously tempted to print out Zen Scanner's link and to write the sentences on it directly (copying the definitions in my own handwriting if he's supposed to define them), then turn that in?

Yeah, I did get into trouble with teachers for being snarky in high school - why do you ask?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by 22B

*Applauds*

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM