Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #166466 09/04/13 12:01 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    So, maybe someone can shed some light or have some advice but I just have to vent at the least. I find this neuropsych rather annoying. My DS has three standard deviations between his VCI and processing speed index so the FSIQ technically uninterpretable. Yet she is going to put it in her report. DS also has over one standard deviation between his VCI and PRI so technically GAI is uninterpretable too though not quite as misleading as the FSIQ yet she will not calculate and report that. I'm frustrated because I feel like both should either be withheld or reported. But I don't think FSIQ should be reported given the huge discrepancy if the GAI is also not being reported. Every subtlest he tanked relies heavily in his two documented disabilities - visual and fine motor.

I just think both paint an inaccurate and misleading picture of DS. frown. I hope the report cones out well but I have serious misgivings about a psych who flat out refuses to calculate GAIs in any circumstance but will insist on reporting a FSIQ that has a three standard deviation spread!

Last edited by Irena; 09/04/13 03:13 PM.
    Irena #166471 09/04/13 12:49 PM
    Our neuropsych reported the FSIQ with the note that she did not consider it valid.

~amy
    epoh #166474 09/04/13 12:55 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by epoh
    Our neuropsych reported the FSIQ with the note that she did not consider it valid.

Yes that is what she said she is going to do. It's probably not a big deal either way but it's just irking me. I'd rather the focus just be on the individual indices and subtests. Tge report will probably come out as well as can be expected.

Irena #166475 09/04/13 12:58 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks, master of none. That actually makes me feel better about the neuropsych.

Irena #166476 09/04/13 01:05 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    A poster on here who was allegedly a psychologist once posted the following:

"If child has a LD, the psychologist should not/would not use composite test scores, but use each test individually because lumping the tests all together does not paint an accurate picture of the child. An LD should not disqualify a child from gifted services - one can have an LD and be very gifted."

My child has Ehlers Danlos, dysgraphia, and a visual processing disorder. So to get a picture of both his disabilities AND giftedness, I think the best way to hobos the above, ya know?

Irena #166477 09/04/13 01:15 PM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Originally Posted by epoh

Yes that is what she said she is going to do. It's probably not a big deal either way but it's just irking me. I'd rather the focus just be on the individual indices and subtests. Tge report will probably come out as well as can be expected.

Irena, have you seen a draft of this report or a copy of a previous report from this neuropsych? My ds' neuropsych reports list the individual scores first for VCI/PRI/PSI/WM with subtest scores reported immediately under each and GAI (in the place FSIQ would normally be) below, as the last item listed for the WISC results - so the FSIQ/GAI isn't what really sticks out as noticable first or foremost, it's the long list of other scores. I'm just wondering if maybe once you see the format of the report, it won't seem quite as disheartening as it sounds?

Our neuropsych reports have also always been really really test-detail specific, so they didn't start out with "global ability" or "full scale IQ", but instead listed nitty-gritty details of "superior skill x" or "impaired skill y" etc. They've all struck me as just a bit technical because the neuropsych is following reporting conventions re terminology.

Also remember that the first time you see the report it's really a draft copy - if the words that accompany your ds' score reports don't include explanations that you think are relevant and necessary to understanding the scores, request that those explanations be included.

Best wishes,

polarbear

polarbear #166496 09/04/13 02:58 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Irena, have you seen a draft of this report or a copy of a previous report from this neuropsych?

No, this is all verbal... I won't have a report for weeks (there are about 20 kids ahead of DS apparently) frown

My ds' neuropsych reports list the individual scores first for VCI/PRI/PSI/WM with subtest scores reported immediately under each and GAI (in the place FSIQ would normally be) below, as the last item listed for the WISC results - so the FSIQ/GAI isn't what really sticks out as noticable first or foremost, it's the long list of other scores. I'm just wondering if maybe once you see the format of the report, it won't seem quite as disheartening as it sounds?

That's what I am hoping/figuring when I say 'the report will probably come out fine' - and she said she will draw attention to the gifted as well as the disabilities. I guess I am getting very tired of focusing on disabilities at this point - tired of highlighting them. I want the gifted highlighted and that need addressed too. No one seems to think that is a priority ... at least that is how it feels anyway. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Btw, Polar, I asked if she diagnosed DS with dysgraphia and she said said the dx is 'DCD affecting handwriting and fine motor' (particularly due to the fact that schools don't recognize dysgraphia). I thought that was interesting. Personally, I thought one could have dysgraphia without necessarily having DCD but in my DS's case I do believe he has both so ... but I though that was kind of interesting.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by master of none
    You probably don't want to hear this, but here goes anyway. According to this put out by Pearson on interpreting GAI, your tester seems reasonable.

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/hai/Images/Products/Wechsler/Wechsler_GAI.pdf

Common GAI Myths #2 and #3
    •Myth 2
    The GAI can be used routinely as a substitute for the FSIQ

With rare exceptions (motor impairment, invalid FSIQ score), the GAI is not a substitute for the FSIQ

FSIQ more comprehensive; Working memory and processing speed are
    integral aspects of general intelligence
    •Myth 3:
    The FSIQ is invalid if there are significant Index- Score differences,so use the GAI

FSIQ is invalid only if there are too few valid subtests to derive the score (even with substitution and proration)

Most of us (73.5% in WAIS-IV) have at least one Index Score that
    significantly differs from the mean of the Index Scores

Actually, I don't want the GAI reported *instead of* FSIQ - I want neither reported if they are so "invalid." If FSIQ is reported, I kind-of wanted GAI reported as well particularly considering the fact that DS has pretty significant motor-visual disabilities that result in a positively huge scatter between PSI and VCI.

Also, would not THREE STANDARD DEVIATIONS between PSI and VCI render the FSIQ "invalid" even under these guidelines?

AND my DS does have a significant impairment of motor-visual and writing...

Last edited by Irena; 09/04/13 04:16 PM.
    Irena #166499 09/04/13 03:24 PM
    P
    P
    I so don't understand why it takes so long to get a report! I understand having a lot of clients, but getting so far behind in finishing up each client's work? You'll still have to do all the work eventually, so why not just do it while it's fresh in your mind? It would bug me to have all those reports just hanging! Maybe part of it is timing coinciding with the beginning of the school year...

Re the DCD, that's the diagnosis our ds has too. He also had a diagnosis of DOWE (Disorder of Written Expression) when he was younger, but never an official diagnosis of "Dysgraphia" on any of his neuropsych reports, for the same reason your neuropsych mentioned - it's not recognized by the schools - plus, DCD and DOWE are diagnoses listed in the DSM-IV, which the neuropsychs follow for making diagnoses. You can have dysgraphia without fine motor issues or DCD, but I suspect it would fall into a different DSM-IV category, probably DOWE.

We're having an odd little issue here this week with DCD - my ds is having an issue at school with PE and an impact of his DCD, but his neuropsych report really only addresses handwriting etc as a challenge, it's been years since he's been to see an OT - and again, that was primarily for handwriting, and his pediatrician really doesn't understand DCD and isn't the dr who diagnosed it... sooooo... we could really use a note from a professional explaining that what is happening is due to ds' DCD, but all we have are lists of accommodations etc referring to handwriting, and a report noting all the other symptoms he had as a young child. Sorry to ramble OT... it's just a confusing place to be in!

polarbear

Irena #166500 09/04/13 03:26 PM
    P
    P
    ps - schools don't really "recognize" dyslexia either - when you have an IEP for dyslexia it is considered qualifying as "Learning Disability - Reading" .... all the nomenclature is so situation-dependent. The new DSM-V is written in a way that is supposed to more closely align with the way schools define specific learning disabilities.. but otoh there are concerns with how it's written too, and I am not sure when it officially becomes the new standard.

pbear

polarbear #166502 09/04/13 03:47 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I so don't understand why it takes so long to get a report! I understand having a lot of clients, but getting so far behind in finishing up each client's work? You'll still have to do all the work eventually, so why not just do it while it's fresh in your mind? It would bug me to have all those reports just hanging! Maybe part of it is timing coinciding with the beginning of the school year...

No unfortunately, this is how long it takes around here... It took me a month to get the report from CHOP re Ehlers Danlos (and it wasn't even that long of a report). First Psycho-ed eval DS had at Dupont took *over* a month as well (and she completely missed so many things to boot). It actually doesn't surprise me at all really that it is going to take that long, it'll surprise me if it doesn't take longer really. But it is annoying.

Last edited by Irena; 09/04/13 03:56 PM.
    polarbear #166504 09/04/13 03:52 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Re the DCD, that's the diagnosis our ds has too. He also had a diagnosis of DOWE (Disorder of Written Expression) when he was younger, but never an official diagnosis of "Dysgraphia" on any of his neuropsych reports, for the same reason your neuropsych mentioned - it's not recognized by the schools - plus, DCD and DOWE are diagnoses listed in the DSM-IV, which the neuropsychs follow for making diagnoses. You can have dysgraphia without fine motor issues or DCD, but I suspect it would fall into a different DSM-IV category, probably DOWE.

We're having an odd little issue here this week with DCD - my ds is having an issue at school with PE and an impact of his DCD, but his neuropsych report really only addresses handwriting etc as a challenge, it's been years since he's been to see an OT - and again, that was primarily for handwriting, and his pediatrician really doesn't understand DCD and isn't the dr who diagnosed it... sooooo... we could really use a note from a professional explaining that what is happening is due to ds' DCD, but all we have are lists of accommodations etc referring to handwriting, and a report noting all the other symptoms he had as a young child. Sorry to ramble OT... it's just a confusing place to be in!

Believe it or not this is the very concern in the back of my mind - like the challenges that come with dyspraxia/DCD that are not handwriting related. We don't really have any now but that could change. Fortunately, with us the Ehlers Danlos covers more large motor skills and that report is more vague, and encompassing so that should take care of most things missed in the neuropsych ... But I am big fan of saying what the kid has and explaining it, ya know?...All of this "let's just say it's this so he can get help even if it doesn't quite fit" stuff really in the long run isn't good... but what can I do - I am not writing the report.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM