Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    polarbear #166502 09/04/13 03:47 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I so don't understand why it takes so long to get a report! I understand having a lot of clients, but getting so far behind in finishing up each client's work? You'll still have to do all the work eventually, so why not just do it while it's fresh in your mind? It would bug me to have all those reports just hanging! Maybe part of it is timing coinciding with the beginning of the school year...

No unfortunately, this is how long it takes around here... It took me a month to get the report from CHOP re Ehlers Danlos (and it wasn't even that long of a report). First Psycho-ed eval DS had at Dupont took *over* a month as well (and she completely missed so many things to boot). It actually doesn't surprise me at all really that it is going to take that long, it'll surprise me if it doesn't take longer really. But it is annoying.

Last edited by Irena; 09/04/13 03:56 PM.
    polarbear #166504 09/04/13 03:52 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Re the DCD, that's the diagnosis our ds has too. He also had a diagnosis of DOWE (Disorder of Written Expression) when he was younger, but never an official diagnosis of "Dysgraphia" on any of his neuropsych reports, for the same reason your neuropsych mentioned - it's not recognized by the schools - plus, DCD and DOWE are diagnoses listed in the DSM-IV, which the neuropsychs follow for making diagnoses. You can have dysgraphia without fine motor issues or DCD, but I suspect it would fall into a different DSM-IV category, probably DOWE.

We're having an odd little issue here this week with DCD - my ds is having an issue at school with PE and an impact of his DCD, but his neuropsych report really only addresses handwriting etc as a challenge, it's been years since he's been to see an OT - and again, that was primarily for handwriting, and his pediatrician really doesn't understand DCD and isn't the dr who diagnosed it... sooooo... we could really use a note from a professional explaining that what is happening is due to ds' DCD, but all we have are lists of accommodations etc referring to handwriting, and a report noting all the other symptoms he had as a young child. Sorry to ramble OT... it's just a confusing place to be in!

Believe it or not this is the very concern in the back of my mind - like the challenges that come with dyspraxia/DCD that are not handwriting related. We don't really have any now but that could change. Fortunately, with us the Ehlers Danlos covers more large motor skills and that report is more vague, and encompassing so that should take care of most things missed in the neuropsych ... But I am big fan of saying what the kid has and explaining it, ya know?...All of this "let's just say it's this so he can get help even if it doesn't quite fit" stuff really in the long run isn't good... but what can I do - I am not writing the report.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM