Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    So when I finally do get to meet about accommodations will my scope be limited to discussing disability?

Polar mentioned above keeping advanced academics and disability accommodations separate. Both are breaking him down substantially...

Poor kid. It's so painful to wait when you are only 6 for the adults to get it together.

Until you have eligibility in hand, leave out the GT stuff, yes.

(Sorry. This sucks, but strategically, keep it simple and work on one step at a time.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Hard but I know you are right.

I have also PM'd about the teacher email I rec'd yesterday. I'm having a harder time starting on that one. It deals solely with her plan to re-evaluate the plan my son was already offered last year which was approved of all the way up to the Assist Dist Super. She is not mentioning any of the disabilities. I feel a need to respond but having trouble with how to approach her... admittedly mostly because I feel insulted and angry when I read the email.

Hmmm.

Let me think about that one. Something to ponder, though-- IF you had to choose, which thing has top billing for you with this teacher at the moment-- appropriately challenging academics? Or disability?

I hate to say this-- but if it's the latter, you may need to place the acceleration conversation on the back burner and tackle this as a "hey-- we need to make sure that we're not doing things to exacerbate disability-related problems before we get a 504 plan in place..."

D
    D
    totally not an expert opinion, but when you do get the 504 in place and the accommodations you need... the need for acceleration might be all the more obvious to everyone involved? (fingers crossed!)

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 08/27/13 03:11 PM.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Well today was UGLY! And then something beautiful happened...

They SAW it. They dealt with it. They are VERY motivated to start handling it and as of this morning they began some emergency accommodations!!

I am ecstatic and he is so happy.((WHEW!!)) I want to thank ALL of you for the great help you gave me this week and especially those who have been PMing with me about specifics and writing letters.

I know we are not done yet but we are getting somewhere and I am not stuck watching my child spiral while school sees his good behavior and thinks he's just fine.

Last edited by HappilyMom; 08/28/13 03:54 PM.
    P
    P
    I'm so glad to read your update HappilyMom - and I'm also running out the door - will be back later - I am so sorry things got ugly at school today, but also so glad that the school was able to recognize what was up and acted in a positive way. I hope the rest of your day goes well smile

polarbear

Hurray!! This is really terrific news. smile

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thank you all! It feels like 1000lb weight has been lifted today. You know when you see an adult working with your child who is genuinely enjoying them and "getting" them. I got that today even after school with additional intentional contact from the staff who are likely to be included in the team deliberating on my child. Classroom teacher is another story but I think is just totally clueless about all of it. Acceleration could easily remove him from her room down the line anyhow.

Even more good news I get to read about today - congrats!!!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM