Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #16526 05/22/08 12:10 PM
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline

DD has just learnt about wars, and poverty and that people can die of hunger ... and she is getting increasily worried about it.

How do you deal with this? She is not even 5 frown

She keeps asking questions and I do not know what to answer.

Any advice?

It's tempting to give in depth explanations because she is so intelligent and has displayed that she is aware of these very complex issues.
    But my advice is be as age appropriate as you can. Don't brush off her questions, because her concern will probably grow if she senses these questions are "off limits", but keep it sweet and simple if possible.
    I think the best way to handle is: Unfortunately, honey, sometimes this happens to some people, but it will never happen to you.
    There are very intelligent adults who are working very, very hard to solve these problems.

Off the top of my head that's the best I can come up with.

Gotta run to school, but will check back in later. Hopefully you'll have the problem solved by then!

smile

Provide her with a tangible opportunity to do something to fix the wrongs in the world.

Example -- Have her do a special chore around the house, pay her, take her to the grocery to buy some food, then take her to a food bank to donate it.

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Neato: she is drilling me .... even if I am vague she keeps asking why or how or when and she is like a pitbull with a leg in his mouth: it will not let it go. Plus she can figure out things by herself from little bits pieces of information, like when she figured on her own that everybody (including herself) dies.

She saw an image of a small child who was obviusly ill from some subdeveloped country and she got really really impresed by it. I am still kicking myself for not being more careful.

OH-Oma (=Grandma in Dutch): I have to find out about food bank here - or maybe the Red Cross...

A lesson from Corrie Ten Boom:
    Some knowledge is "too heavy" for us to carry. When Corrie was a child, she and her father were on a train ride. She asked a question that had an adult theme, and Corrie's father then asked her to carry his heavy suitcase. When Corrie tried and said it was too heavy, her father said that some knowledge is too heavy for children and that he would carry it for Corrie until she was older and ready to hear it.

I've also used this method.

P.S., I like 'Oma'.

Last edited by OHGrandma; 05/22/08 12:51 PM.
    I like that quote Oma!

Okay, I'm back. So you did you try what both of us suggested and she is still drilling you?
    If so, give me an example of what questions she is asking and I'll tell you what I said to my kids.

L
    L
    My son had a difficult few years around ages 4 and 5, with a neighbor boy dying and his grandmother who lives next door suddenly forgetting who he was because she had suffered brain damage. My son had an even harder time when he was 5 1/2 and in Kindergarten and his dad was diagnosed with cancer.

My son learned to deal with it with humor. He had heard that "laughter is the best medicine" so he came up with the funniest things to say when we waited with his dad at the hospital. My son needed to feel like he was doing something to help and this was the only way he knew how. I think that somehow helped him deal with knowing that there was bad stuff happening all around him. He knew he couldn't do anything about what was happening, but he could help the people going through it feel better by making them laugh.

He does still worry about some things but I really think that feeling like he is doing something helps him.

Maybe she could feel like she is helping by donating food to a food bank.

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline

Nope, not yet ... She is sleeping.... shhhhhh ....

And so will I in a short moment smile

Good night!

Val Offline
    One of my kids is a worrier. He was very worried about death and extinction when he was 4/5. He's 6 now and the topic doesn't come up as often.

I think he deals with it in part by thinking about ways to bring back extinct animals (cloning [though he barely understands the idea], time machines). This gives him focus and a goal-oriented approach. Maybe you could encourage your daughter to think about ways to make things better.

Val

acs Offline
    I was quite a worrier, too, as a little girl. My main worry was nuclear war, but there were many others. When my DS was in those phases, I would sit by his bed and rub his back and tell him about how I used to worry about the same things when I was his age and how my mother would sit by my bed and rub my back and tell me about how she used to worry when she was little and her mother would rub her back.....

I think one thing that was hard for him was feeling like he was the only one who worried, who felt the pain. Knowing that it was normal and that he wasn't crazy, and that he was not feeling the pain alone seemed to help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM