Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 412 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #150066 03/05/13 04:51 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Does anyone have experience with carnegie math? My DD is moving into seventh grade and the school is switching from saxon math to carnegie math. Saxon has been a big waste of time for her. It is so easy so does all her work independently without any instructon. I was going to ask that she skip 7th grade math and go straight to 8th but I am not sure if that would be beneficial in the new program.

Z
    Z
    I have no personal experience with it. It sounds awesome; but I have a strong personal bias in favor of both cognitive science and Carnegie Mellon.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    My understand is that Carnegie Math relies heavily on cooperative groups and my daughter's experience is usually that group work means either the kids will look to her to do most of the work or she has to wait around for people to catch up to her. Just had my DD's meeting and the school is going to make sure that she is grouped with kids with high math scores. They refuse to give her any kind of placement test because a diagnostic tool used in 6th grade (which is not related to Carnegie Math at all) shows that she is functioning at the high end for her grade but not necessarily above grade. From the information the principal gave me about the program, the majority of the content is stuff she already knows!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM