Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #16454 05/22/08 05:46 AM
    S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    It is 7:42 and my son (who I am going to start calling Pud, a baby nickname) is asleep. He's supposed to be at school at 7:55. He slept through the alarm 3 times. I started to wake him but he was sleeping so peacefully and getting to school has been such a battle this year. So, I just let him sleep. I figure I'll just keep him home today or maybe take him late and let him get a tardy.

I just feel guilty about it. After all, a good mom would insist her child go to school, right? I guess I'm just looking to assuage my guilt. I was going to take him out at 12:30 anyway to go to a Homeschool Group park day. Thanks for being there.

squirt #16455 05/22/08 06:02 AM
    I've done that. It's only one day - everyone needs a mental health day sometimes!

I kept my son home to go to the final day of a science exhibit he wanted to see. The teacher asked why he was absent and he told her "my brother and i really wanted to see this science exhibit and we had to miss school to do it." She said that was OK.

E
    E
    Good for you! A mental health day is a great idea for him. My feeling is that if they are that hard to wake up, they need the sleep more than they need to sit in class:) Enjoy your afternoon in the park:)

elh0706 #16460 05/22/08 07:26 AM
    S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Okay, it's now 9:20 and I am regretting my decision. He woke up at 8:30 and I had a physical therapy appointment at 9. I got him dressed, fixed him some breakfast to take, let him pick an activity. We've had a 35 minute temper tantrum - kicking, hitting, screaming, pushing, pulling, running, getting out of seatbelt, fighting over gearshift, getting out of the car, etc. He actually knocked the car out of gear in the street. I had half-carried/half-dragged him to the car. So, now we are back in the house and I have put myself on time-out. He was completely out of control.

I don't know whether to take away priveleges and skip the park, ignore everything, what. He's completely ruined my day - I thought in addition to the park, we could work on some geography stuff he's been asking me about and play some games together. Now, I've got to reschedule my PT appointment (which throws off his schedule) and don't know what to do.

What happened to the peace I envisioned? What is wrong with this kid? If this is the way it's going to be, there's no way we can homeschool. I hate this.

There ought to be a law - sleeping children are false advertising. What a day.

squirt #16461 05/22/08 07:31 AM
    What set him off?

I'm sorry for your day! frown

And I totally sympathize. I know that if I never saw another temper tantrum, it would be too soon!

Kriston
    Kriston #16464 05/22/08 07:38 AM
    E
    E
    Squirt,
    Any chance DS is coming down with a cold or something? That is a pretty close description of how my son behaves a day or two before he starts running a fever right sown to the being hard to wake up.

I am sorry for emotional hit going from expecting a fun day to one of strife.
    {Hugs}

Kriston #16465 05/22/08 07:39 AM
    K
    K
    Squirt - that sounded really great until you got to the part about the tantrum. I hope the day picks up for you!

#16481 05/22/08 08:21 AM
    A
    A
    Uggh Squirt.

I'm with ELH, though. He sounds like he's exhausted and possibly getting sick. I think that you made the right call.

#16482 05/22/08 08:22 AM
    Maybe he is a child who just likes a schedule and was thrown off. I wouldn't toss out HS just yet if you are both interested in that. You could just as easily have a set schedule at home.
    In fact, you can see how it works this summer, we are definately following a loose but consistent schedule.
    Maybe poor little Pud is fighting of a virus, lots of the creepy crawlies going around. I love that nickname, PUD, so cute. Just want to give a virtual pinch to those little cheeks!
    Personally, I wouldn't feel guilty about not sending him to school, although we all have peer pressure to conform! It is uncomfortable to go against the grain. Don't let the man bring you down, YO!!!!!! smile
    Both of my girls have demonstated above grade level ability. Sometimes I find myself wondering WHY I DO send them to school!

elh0706 #16483 05/22/08 08:23 AM
    Originally Posted by elh0706
    Squirt,
    Any chance DS is coming down with a cold or something? That is a pretty close description of how my son behaves a day or two before he starts running a fever right sown to the being hard to wake up.

I was thinking the same thing!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...