Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    G
    G
    My daughter had the same teacher for 1st and 2nd, and it wasn't until the end of 2nd that it came out that she hadn't had direct reading instruction since early in 1st grade.

That being said, I take these reports from young kids with caution. My kids, at least, have a limited sense of the different possible forms of their instruction. DS also reported not meeting with his reading group this year more than 3-4 times. However, the teacher was doing much more individualized teaching with him, where she was giving DS particular books to read during silent reading time, then having a conversation with him about it during free work time. He was getting just the reading instruction he needed, but it didn't look to him like reading instruction.

Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Last night, DD8 reported that she was the only 4th grader in her gifted class that could perform multiplication with large numbers. This is the school that wouldn't skip her.

Wait. Fourth graders in a gifted class can't multiply large numbers? Fourth graders in a standard class should be able to multiply large numbers. Or has she already started school and you're referring to kids right now, at the beginning of the year? In which case I wonder what they were doing in gifted class last year if they didn't get to multiplying 145*78?

If DD's previous experience in this class was any indication, drawing pie charts and bar graphs.

She brought home another she'd done in class yesterday, only the second day of the new school year, and I died a little inside.

Good point, geofizz. I do think that matters.

Again, this is why others have trouble understanding that no, DD really doesn't get any instruction in some subjects. I know because I see what she does for school (full-time) as part of the model.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I'm just not sure this statement would have bothered me much. What would bother me re reading would be if my child had to work with a group that was a lot lower than her ability level, was told she had to read books much lower than she was capable of, or had to do a ton of phonics worksheets when she was way past that.

I actually agree, but I wonder if my perspective might be warped. By school age, neither of my kids has needed to read aloud to anyone or be actively taught reading. I'm not sure, though, how many classes of first graders have whole reading groups in this category.

To me, once you can read, you can read -- as long as they give you some decent books to read, I wouldn't worry about "instruction". My first grade teacher knew I could read, and she got books from the other classes for me, and while I remember being in the highest reading group, I can't recall anything that we might have done there. It would have bothered me (and my mother) if they had insisted that I read Dick and Jane. It never bothered me to do worksheets of any sort, though some probably should have, and it never bothered me to be the one who read to the class.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by mountainmom2011
    Apparently her reading group, which was the highest group in the class, only 'read' as a group with the teacher a few times all year. So I'm guessing ...

My first thought when I read this is perhaps even more cynical - are you sure the other groups are actually getting any more of the teacher's time?

True, I'm only guessing here but based on the fact that the teacher flat out refused to differentiate in math I'm not really surprised. I just had no idea it was the same lack of differentiation for reading.

The teacher has only been teaching in the classroom for a few years. Prior to this she was a reading recovery teacher so reading is her specialty, her love, her passion... etc... I had high hopes at the beginning of the school year that she would take my dd's current (at that time) reading ability and stretch her. I realize that my dd can read but there is more to reading than just reading the text, imo. There were things she could have improved upon or worked on instead of memorizing fact families.

And I did ask dd if she was certain that her reading group got less time with the teacher and she was pretty sure about it. They did reading groups in kindergarten and she said it wasn't like that where they rotated each time.

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 08/14/13 10:14 AM.
    P
    P
    mountainmom,

I feel sorry about your situation but You can't just blame it on the teacher only. It's the system and NCLB Act. Unless the politicians change the requirements, the educators will concentrate and spend manpower and resources on students who are behind.

That's why we need to make sure TALENT act is made into law.

http://www.nagc.org/index.aspx?id=7804

May be you can talk to principal about differentiation. AR (accelerated reader) program from renaissance learning is used by many schools. The students read any (most of the books are on their lists) books they want and answer questions to earn AR points. They have small chapter book (like magic tree house) to college level books on their list. That program help kids with their comprehension.

http://www.renlearn.com/ar/

When my DD was in 2nd grade, she would read whatever she was assigned and she would read her HP books. She probably got the highest AR points too because HP books are assigned pretty high AR points.

Life is like a poker game. You can wish for the best cards possible but in reality, you have to play with what you are dealt. I gave up on my DD's old school and move to a better school with structured gifted program. But looks like she is growing out of it and I need to start advocating again.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Peter
    Life is like a poker game. You can wish for the best cards possible but in reality, you have to play with what you are dealt. I gave up on my DD's old school and move to a better school with structured gifted program. But looks like she is growing out of it and I need to start advocating again.

I like analogies, my variant of "Life is like a poker game"... Success isn't measured one hand at a time but through an accumulation of hands. A winning player maximizes winnings on good hands and minimizes losses on bad ones.

AR was pretty important for DS, but not really all that instructional.

Slightly off-topic, this, but--

what in the name of all that is holy is a "fact family??"

(Has my education been horrifically deficient? Was I not adequately educated as a reader??)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    1+2=3, and ALSO 3-1=2 and 3-2=1. Sometimes 2+1=3 is also explicitly included. Multiplication/division families also exist, of course.

This is intended to strengthen the connection between addition and subtraction for those who don't just see it. I apparently comprehend backwards, since it is beyond obvious to me and always has been, and just look confused at them when they offer this to my daughters as an example of their new, deep approach to mathematical concepts.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Slightly off-topic, this, but--

what in the name of all that is holy is a "fact family??"

(Has my education been horrifically deficient? Was I not adequately educated as a reader??)

Assuming this is math reference, it is a group of numbers like 5, 8 and 3 that relate to each other 5+3=8, 3+5=8, 8-5=3, 8-3=5. It is basically teaching the students the commutative law without teaching it to them.

I was surprised to find them emphasizing the number families in math this last year, they were supposed to memorize all the different families... Isn't it easier to learn basic addition and subtraction? I guess I am getting old, I am starting to sound like my parents ;-)

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM