Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Hi,
    Has anyone sent in a portfolio for a child in K or first grade?
    Our daughter was given the WISC-IV (I think.....bad mommy for not remembering) by a child psychologist. We are waiting for the full
    report. I do know that she scored 148 on the vocabulary section and slightly lower in the timed portions, as she would start to talk and discuss the ways the test could be different, etc. She did score above average on the processing speed and spatial sections.
    In order to qualify for the Davidson Young Scholars you need to submit two items from the approved list.She took the CoGAT, which is not on the list, but could be sent as support material, or so I have read. I'm not necessarily excited about giving her another test, as I don't want to over test her even though she thinks they are fun:-)
    Thanks!

Last edited by Gardengirl09; 08/07/13 10:04 AM.
    N
    N
    We did WJIII and portfolio for DS when he was in first grade, or thereabouts. The WJIII was from just before first grade, coming out of preschool (skipped K), when he was 5yrs 9mo, so it must have been in first grade or just after.

We just assembled a collection of stuff showing how he turned everything into numbers and math, and a "newspaper" that he made with a bunch of stories and weather report, stuff like that.

DS6 was accepted with achievement score and a portfolio at the end of K. It helped us that he was going up in math and reading at the time so I had school work that was advanced to use.

Esme, DYS ds7, ds1 - whatmom.wordpress.com
    When DS was in kinder, the school gave him the WJ achievement tests. They wanted to figure out where to put him after we shared his IQ scores, and they wanted to use their own psychologist. We shared the tests that DYS used to see if there was any chance they could use one of those, and they were very willing. Bonus - free. smile

M
    M
    We used a portfolio and IQ scores for DS6 this past May when he was in kindy. Our portfolio included video links to him reading aloud, with me asking 2 or 3 content questions and then a few out-of-level math worksheets that I printed off and he did during breakfast the morning the app was due. It was nothing elaborate, at all. Good luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations