Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Does anyone have any experience with the International Connections Academy (ICA)? We are in NC and there are no online Public Charter Options and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be right for us so we are looking at a few of the private school online options. I like what I read about ICA's gifted and talented and STEM programs but I'm looking for anyone that has had some actual experience. FYI, DS11 is in the Davidson Young Scholars program.

Last edited by ConnorsDad; 08/31/13 05:41 PM.
    ICA?

Not NaCA?

Odd-- pretty sure that Connections has a public charter in NC. Scratch that--it's in SC.

Not sure if there are significant differences in the programming of ICA versus NaCA, but NaCA is pretty much identical to the state public options. Ahhhh-- scratch that, too-- it IS the same thing these days. Apparently Pearson likes the "International" moniker better.

I can't say that there is a lot of authentic understanding of HG students via Connections, I'm sorry to note.

ETA: Having looked quickly at the high school core courses at ICA-- it's exactly the same offerings that we have through our state's public charter via Connections.

Depends on what your DS is like as a learner, honestly. If he's Socratic and perfectionistic, Connections is toxic. If he likes to do a LOT of work, and is highly self-motivated even when the work seems a bit pointless and trivial... he'll love it.

What grade placement, incidentally? I have specific advice on that basis. My DD14 will graduate this coming year, but has been with them since 3rd grade.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 08/06/13 10:13 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I'd recommend:

GT Literature Study electives (grades 3-8) as those are inquiry-based and genuinely deeper/more rich learning at a level beyond the regular curriculum.

Julliard-authored e-Music electives. Stay tuned, but what I've seen of the Living Music electives (high school) they are quite good.

Problem areas:

Math instruction-- one hour a week. If you're lucky. Not kidding. Also-- "GT" often means "do the regular problem set and then do these OTHER problems... as well. (MOS as differentiation... bad, bad, bad.)

Science-- many of the K-8 labs have gone "all-virtual" which is just plain ridiculous. In addition, many of the virtual tools are so archaic that they don't run correctly on current versions of java or flash. Just so that you know what you're getting into there.

Writing-- there is a LOT of writing, and it increases significantly at the high school level. There is also not a lot of support for that writing past about 4th grade. It's up to parents to scaffold whatever needs doing, basically.

Flexibility-- hmmm... well, yes and no. Yes, anywhere you have a web connection (that's fast enough, that is)... but NO, not "anytime you want" and "as short/long as you want." You do get in trouble for not staying in order and on pace.

GT-- mostly, this means "the standard course, just with an extra project or topic per term."

Feel free to PM me. There're things I'd tell you about Connections that I wouldn't post in public. I have also got a LOT of understanding of how this system works and how to increase your own flexibility as needed to get the most out of it-- and what to NOT do, just as importantly.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent