Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #163611 08/05/13 12:05 PM
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    My son wants a microscope for his birthday next month. I thought one that can be used to look at a rock and look at bacteria would be best. Could someone please tell me what this particular one offers? Thanks!

http://shop.australiangeographic.com.au/-Deluxe-Microscope-for-Kids-68-Piece-Set-P959.aspx

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S

L
    L
    If you want one that can look at rocks, that one won't work. You need one that's a "dissecting microscope" and it willtypically have much lower magnification. (like 20x) Still very cool. I actually had forgotten about them until we saw one while I was at college reunion. They had flowers in there.

I also forget how old your son is, but if he's on the younger side, you might want to consider one that has a projection screen and/or the style that has two things to look through, as the "wink" is hard to do.

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Thanks for your help! I couldn't remember what specifications were needed, but I remember now about the lower magnification. I had planned to buy another one, but the store no longer stocks it, and I can't recall the brand. It had 20x/40x/400x magnification and was around $200. I figure a higher price means better quality... This particular one means I can also buy the telescope.

My son will be seven. I will probably get the projection screen.

Z
    Z
    We picked up a handheld Celestron digital ~$60us to connect to DS' laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Del...766&sr=1-1&keywords=celestron+microscope

It is pretty cool and we can do rocks and some smaller items. And having it up on the screen, it is easy to take snapshots and to discuss things together. However, it only goes to 150x and doesn't have all the cool slides that a full kit has.

I'm with Portia. I'd ask at a local college/uni, or a technical/magnet high school with a good science program.

Higher price, unfortunately, does NOT always mean better quality, and often the 'student' microscopes with the best optics don't have lighting or apertures which are truly adequate to make use of them fully.

All of the people we know who have bought their kids microscopes successfully have done one of two things (or some combination):

a) surplus/used educational/professional model,
    b) hacked/pirated components to make a Frankenscope.

Nothing turns kids off more than a difficult-to-use, inadequate microscope. Unfortunately, the 'kid/intro' microscopes are all of that ilk.

I can sometimes use those kind-- but I've got decades of experience behind me. That's the problem. Kids who lack that kind of experience actually need BETTER tools that are more forgiving. Unfortunately, you're probably talking $1500 USD for a truly good microscope with magnification sufficient to what you're after.

Dissection scope.... well, I can recommend this--

SpiderEye Portable Microscope

It's a little 10X without an integrated light source-- but it is surprisingly good quality, has a nice field of view, and is EASY to operate, and-- because of the supports and design, can be used as a monocular dissection scope. DD has had one of those since she was about your son's age, and she's used it for everything from looking at krill to examining feathers, butterfly wings, fingerprints, and crystal structures in rocks.

Get a penlight to go with it, though. More light is definitely the key to making inexpensive optics shine.

Try before you buy. I can't emphasize that enough.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Thanks, everyone. I haven't really the access to universities, etc, to test things out. Not immediate access, and I've only got four weeks. I'm not sure where I could go in-store to try before I buy. There is a specialty camera shop I might look at (but it's in the city and I hate reverse parallel parking lol); any other sellers are through medical supply representatives.

I don't think I need a fancy microscope, just something for fun. I'm going to have to think about this!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations