Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by squirt
    Could a low PS also apply to other things than doing math problems? Like writing? Or, putting on clothes? Or, gathering toys and carrying them to his room without stopping 100 times along the way? Or taking forever to sort the laundry? Or is all this just him being easily distracted. I'm not sure of how broad an activity the PS covers?

Well, my DS6 has the exact same PS score as your son, and you just described him PERFECTLY when you described your son.

I think some of this is just being that age, but I'd bet that having an HG+ brain working at average speed has something to do with it, too. Our kids wind up going deep, not fast!

By the time DS6 has folded his laundry for the week, the next week's pile is ready to be folded. SOOOOO not fast! frown Nothing for it but patience and practice as far as I can tell.

Kriston
    My 2nd grader has the exact same PSI as well although he has a 5pt spread between PSI subtests so I read that it's hard to draw any meaningful conclusions from that - could just be one bad subtest bringing the PSI down. I don't think he's HG though somewhere in that grey MG/HG border but he sounds very similar.

Most of the time it seems his clock runs slower than every one elses when it comes to tasks. He has no sense of urgency. Well, he was completely different on vacation w/ the grandparents. Every morning he bounded out of bed, got dressed, brushed his teeth and was ready for that days adventure lol.

I don't see it so much w/ academic pursuits though. He's not super fast w/ math problems but several of his classmates have said each year that Ds usually finishes first and gets them all right. He's not a HG+ kid though doing 4 digit addition/subtraction problems all in his head. Sometimes computation takes him longer b/c he will find the most convoluted way of figuring out something when simply estimated to 100 and subtracting 2 would get you there much quicker lol.

I still wonder what does this all mean if anything.....

Kriston - I just re-read your original post. My DS(almost 8) has the exact same WMI and PSI scores as your son. Now I'll have to go back and re-read this thread lol.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM