Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16
    S
    S
    My dd, nearly 3, is obsessed with stones! she has to collect a stone or two from every walk and tells me about its shape and texture. She only picks the interesting ones with unusual shapes, colors or surfaces! I think i need to read up a bit more so i can give her more info!
    She also is obsessed with being tall! she doesn't want to be little and in all her pretend games shes the big one or the adult! She can't wait for her birthday to be three so that she can *and she has a list of about 6 things!!* Anyone else experience that?
    Things she can't do bother her and she gets really focused on it, eg: she reeeally wants to know how to read "will you show me how to read the words?" is said at least 20 times a day!
    Other things are the planets and space, why the moon has a shadow, maps, the weather, time.. Actually time is pretty interesting to her. Everything from the hours of the day to the date, months, she keeps track on our calender and is counting down her birthday! her morning routine over breakfast is to tell me the time and how many days are left! smile

K
    K
    Originally Posted by smidge
    She can't wait for her birthday to be three so that she can *and she has a list of about 6 things!!* Anyone else experience that?

My daughter proudly declared that she wanted "boobies" for her 3rd birthday, since she'd be bigger then (I made the mistake of telling her she would have them when she was bigger, but didn't give her a REAL time-frame). She also believes that when she's 5 she can drive a car, go on a roller-coaster, fly a plane and pour her own milk (a similar level of achievement) and she loves to tell us that she's almost 4 (in 8 months), which is almost 5, so really soon she'll be able to do everything!

S
    S
    Originally Posted by KellyA
    Originally Posted by smidge
    She can't wait for her birthday to be three so that she can *and she has a list of about 6 things!!* Anyone else experience that?

My daughter proudly declared that she wanted "boobies" for her 3rd birthday, since she'd be bigger then (I made the mistake of telling her she would have them when she was bigger, but didn't give her a REAL time-frame). She also believes that when she's 5 she can drive a car, go on a roller-coaster, fly a plane and pour her own milk (a similar level of achievement) and she loves to tell us that she's almost 4 (in 8 months), which is almost 5, so really soon she'll be able to do everything!

I tell my son he can drive when he is as tall as his dad. I am desperately hoping that he is at least 16... He has a long list of things that have to wait until he is as tall as a cousin who will likely be 7 feet tall when he grows up and is several years older...

S
    S
    Originally Posted by squishys
    DS16m's newest favourite activity is climbing up to the window sill and standing on it! He also likes to walk along it, and it is only 10cm (5in) deep. It scares me but makes me laugh at the same time. He does it purely for the challenge. This boy is the most adventurous baby I've ever seen!

Time for parent tot gymnastics class! That was my son at that age. Some kids just a born with a different risk tolerance. :-)

S
    S
    My son is now 2.75. Obsessions for vehicles, books, numbers, balls, clocks, maps and solar system have continued.

Spelling! All words must be spelled. He even enjoys making up words to spell.

Fully obsessed with musical instruments rights now (little piano, my guitar, drums, shaker eggs, and some bells). I have promised him his own 1/4 scale guitar when he turns 3 but he has to wait for a full size keyboard until he can play all the songs in the songbook on his current little piano. (We really don't have room right now.). Sings everywhere.

Yesterday he was singing "I am a Paleontologist..." in the grocery and we got some strange looks. Highly recommend They Might Be Giants Here Comes Science DVD/CD. It has fed his current obsessions and spawned some new ones... Periodic Table is rising daily...

Last edited by SAHM; 07/26/13 01:13 PM.
    S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Lol, SAHM. He would lurve that! The other day he climbed up a 2 metre high ladder (with me right there to catch him should he fall). I would love a safe place for him to be himself, I'll see if there is a tot's gym in my state.

J
    J
    Getting bigger is significant for DS3.5 too! He has a long list of things he's waiting to do. E.g. I don't have to hold your hand because I'm a Big kid; I'm going to kindergarten! but first pre k then high school and then college (where he will of course have his own television and be able to watch super heroes whenever he wants); when I'm 16 I will drive in the car and you can be the passenger; I'm going to be an astronaut and you can come for a ride in my rocket, Falcon Heavy! ... on and on. I think he's planned his birthday party several times already this year, and isn't shy to assert "his plans" for upcoming weekends. Admitting I've allowed too much multimedia recently due to exhaustion at night.. he's totally into Next Gen Star Trek, Warehouse 13, and Doctor Who. He's also into science exploration (finding bugs, learning about weather, doing basic experiments - making snow this week was a blast). Otherwise running and climbing and lots of Frisbee.
    Did I mention testing authority. That's definitely a passion right now (smile and sigh). He actually tour guided for his class on a recent field trip to a local museum we'd been to once before (when he wasn't trying to elope from the group to explore his own agenda). The teacher said he knew where all the maps were and was showing the exhibits. Again, the I'm going to be a big kid (and part of me is right now but not in 5 minutes thing). So much ownership of experience, and looking forward either out of frustration for being held back because he has knowledge of safety skills (don't run in the parking lot, rattles off telephone and address in case he gets lost) but demonstrates safety skills like a 3 year old, and for enthusiasm moving ahead towards the new and awesome.

M
    M
    DD has lost her zest for astronomy. Her latest thing is human anatomy.

Astronomy and anatomy are two of my least favorite subjects. It's great that I get to learn along but I'm starting to think she gets more interested when I don't butt in, so to speak.

A
    A
    Zero is a passion lately (21-22mo). Everything in our immediate vicinity becomes an equation that must be solved for zero. We had a crazy long wait at the paediatrician's today. The paed walked in as DS and I were doing a jumping game, jumping from one square floor tile to the next. DS started singing "one take away one is zero" just as the door opened to an aghast paed.

So he has zero interests. Ha! (Groan!)

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    So he has zero interests. Ha! (Groan!)

I remember the zero stage. DD kept on replaying that zero apples song on starfall over and over and that Elmo's duck song. I still want those duck puppets!

Page 11 of 16 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM