Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #162937 07/25/13 09:08 AM
    L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    Anyone heard of it? If so, what do you know? Will be screening DS for it next month.

Lukemac #166472 09/04/13 12:54 PM
    B
    B
    What did you find out? From what I read, it's controversial and I don't know what to think of it. I tutored reading last year and tried putting colored overlays on passages of kids who had tracking issues. They all said the overlays were helpful, but only one boy showed a dramatic difference in reading fluency. He said that without the overlay, it looked like there were two layers of print and the colors made the words easier to see. Now my son has some vision issues (eye tracking). His OT suggested we try colored overlays, saying that they activate both the rods and the cones.

Lukemac #176945 12/10/13 11:13 AM
    Y
    Y
    My DD was diagnosed with Irlen at 16yo (now 28yo) and it made a HUGE difference in her reading comprehension. The thing about Irlen is it is not just any colored overlay, it is a specific color based on the individual need of the person. We have trained screeners in our district and I have several GT students who use overlays, and almost all have a different color or color combination (some students use two different colors stacked). It also the combinations have to be stacked in the correct order - a student who needs rose/blue will get a different effect if they are stacked blue/rose. I can see how people would be skeptical; however, I know the HUGE difference it made for my own child. She struggled for years until I happened upon Irlen at TAGT and had her screened. I wish I'd know about this when she was 9 and started to struggle. frown

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations