Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I contacted the NJDOE today to ask about partial homeschooling. The response that I got pretty much said that anything seems to go in NJ. There is no rule for or against partial homeschooling. There is no curriculum, no proof needed, nothing really.

I have been thinking about partially homeschooling for some time. It seems like such a perfect fit for us. Does anyone have any feedback? Is it as free and easy as it sounds?

G
    G
    As a homeschooler on the other side of the river in Pennsylvania, that does match with what I understand. New Jersey is one of the least regulated states in terms of homeschooling. Don't know more details.

P
    P
    I'm not in NJ, so my advice is most likely worth nothing :), but fwiw, the folks I've known who've partial homeschooled in my state (part-day homeschool, part-day enrolled in neighborhood public school) had no issues on the homeschooling side of things, but had issues from the school their children were enrolled in and eventually were pushed into giving up the partial situation. I am guessing the issue originated primarily with state funding (that's just a guess)... but the way it was presented to the parents was as a socialization issue - supposedly "too difficult" for their children to miss out on what all the other kids were doing for half the day, that type of argument.

polarbear

eta - I should have mentioned that I was referring to elementary school above.

Last edited by polarbear; 07/24/13 04:38 PM.
    S
    S
    I partial homeschooled for half a year. I just said what is the class he would be put in doing after lunch (he had eating issues so I wanted him to eat at home).

So I homeschooled him before lunch and then dropped him off and he attended for the last part of the day.

The only glitch we came across is that in elementary sometimes the classes aren't held to a specific time period. Even though they might have social studies in the afternoon, she might give the kids time to work on the social studies essay in the morning during language arts. Or they have science class in the afternoon BUT the science lab times are assigned by the science lab assistant and their class gets their time in the morning so then they move math on science lab day to the afternoon (and he was doing math at home with me and not on the same skill as them).

Eh, it worked as everyone was flexible and we were happy with the arrangement but eventually he went back full time to school.

I do see my younger son homeschooling in middle school and then partial homeschooling, partial virtual schooling and partial brick and mortar public schooling in high school. It will probably be the only way to meet his needs until he is 16 and can dual enroll in college.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations