Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Nerdnproud
    Hi Cricket, as I understood it there were 66000 kids and 13600 of those 66K took the test rather than the other way around (based on the earlier post at least, I haven't read the article though so I could be wrong!)
    Ah, perhaps if I hadn't read the #s backward, that would have made sense!

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    There is a bit of chicanery in the reporting of those numbers. They are meaningless without reporting what percentage of total kindergarteners took the tests.

P.S. Found a reference that says 13600 of the incoming 66000 kids took the test. So about 20%. 20% of 20% is 4% and 40% of 20% is 8%.

The real concern should then be the number of seats available that completely defy their set standards. And please, 3% = genius?

Okay, that's a really good point. I thought they all had to take it as part of entering kindergarten or something. My mistake!

If he hadn't slipped in "of actual test takers", it might've flown right by me. Then again, I was recently thinking of the test takers vs. population question in regards to how Explore tests are evaluated; and the numbers he presents look so outrageous. But the inset numbers only say "of kindergarteners."

It's a shame, because issues of test prep, the projections using combined test scores, etc are all pretty interesting and important. And I have to imagine a large number are self-selected out of the aspirant pool because they are homeschooling or private schooling.

I wish journalists would consistently choose integrity over sensationalism.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by gabalyn
    Ack! I clicked through Cricket2's link. Sheesh! WPPSI and WISC prep materials? That's just wrong. With the stakes so high, I guess I get why people do it, but YUCK! I would be steamed if that affected my kid. They are cheating!

I agree. Outrageous. And the kids are the ones who will ultimately be harmed, though I'm sure the parents believe they're protecting them.

Oh, believe me, this is not happening just in NYC. It's just that in other places, parents are a little more circumspect about it-- but they'll still 'shop around' for an independent tester who's willing to do "whatever it takes" to uncover their child's hidden genius...

Which is fine when it's a genuine 2e issue... not-so-fine when it's "coaching" for a bright-but-not-gifted child.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 07/11/13 09:08 AM. Reason: "not" is not, generally speaking, an unimportant term...

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by KADmom
    Ack! I clicked through Cricket2's link. Sheesh! WPPSI and WISC prep materials? That's just wrong. With the stakes so high, I guess I get why people do it, but YUCK! I would be steamed if that affected my kid. They are cheating!

I agree. Outrageous. And the kids are the ones who will ultimately be harmed, though I'm sure the parents believe they're protecting them.

I disagree. If the cutoff for a gifted program is 130, and if the regular public schools have students with average IQ of 90, with no ability grouping, I'd rather have my 110 IQ child in the gifted program than in regular classes.

Bright Kids NYC operates in the open, so I assume that it is not releasing proprietary information about IQ tests.

C
    C
    The thing is that a lot of these prep services have been called on using actual test questions in the past and there are licensed psychologists in NY who will tutor kids using the actual exam. Did any of you read this article from the New York mag a few yrs back? http://nymag.com/nymetro/urban/education/features/1508/

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I disagree. If the cutoff for a gifted program is 130, and if the regular public schools have students with average IQ of 90, with no ability grouping, I'd rather have my 110 IQ child in the gifted program than in regular classes.

I see your point, but if the schools just grouped students by ability, they would save a lot of money and there wouldn't be any need for all this mania.

Yeah, I know, quixotic Val.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by KADmom

Bright Kids NYC operates in the open, so I assume that it is not releasing proprietary information about IQ tests.

By the same token, if the average is 100, and the gifted program has a cutoff of 130; I'd rather NOT have my child (IQ 140) stuck in a class with a number of children of IQ 115, whose parents argue that a 130 cutoff "suits" their kids' needs better than instruction aimed at IQ 100 peers.

It does impact the quality and substance of gifted programming to admit children who don't really meet the underlying criteria.

Understandable, certainly. But still deplorable in a larger sense; self-serving.

How upset would other parents be if I insisted that my child ought to ride on the SpEd bus because it is "nicer" and a "more direct" pick-up and drop-off than the standard bus? What if I doctor-shopped until I found one that was willing to back me? Makes the route longer for the other kids on it, for sure... and maybe takes a seat from someone else. Not good. The difference is that parents are not, by and large, clamoring to get their kids on the small, air-conditioned bus.

LOL-- Cross-posted with Val. I think she and I are seeing the exact same thing here. It's better for everyone to fight what is wrong with the whole system rather than using brinksmanship to work your way around it using ever-more Byzantine methodology. smile

Nobody is saying that parents with bright kids ought to accept a lack of ability grouping. Just that they should stop trying to get their kids labeled in ways that aren't suitable because that has consequences for other people's kids, too.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    LOL-- Cross-posted with Val. I think she and I are seeing the exact same thing here. It's better for everyone to fight what is wrong with the whole system rather than using brinksmanship to work your way around it using ever-more Byzantine methodology. smile

Nobody is saying that parents with bright kids ought to accept a lack of ability grouping. Just that they should stop trying to get their kids labeled in ways that aren't suitable because that has consequences for other people's kids, too.

Yes.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...