Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Can someone tell me how MAP test results are used in terms of placement? My son's new school just did testing and when I look at the RIT chart, I can't tell what his instructional level would be. Based on his math score, he could be above 95th percentile two grades up, or somewhere above the 90th pct 3 grades up. So where does that mean he should be taught? How do these scores aid placement?

His reading seems to be in a range of 3-5 grades ahead, depending whether I look at the 95th pct & above, or the 90th and above. What would that mean in terms of instructional level?

thanks!

Depends on the school. Overall, though, it seems like very few schools actually do grade placement based on MAP scores. If you are lucky they use them as a screening tool and will then to other achievement testing.

~amy
    P
    P
    I believe MAP could be and should be used for placement and at a minimum for grouping. They do that to some degree in my DS's current school but did not at all in his former. There, it was used solely to develop a cut score that could be used to predict success on NCLB tests. Nonetheless, his high scores were noticed by the prinicpal in fall 1st grade and she suggested additional testing that led to a mid year grade skip.

You may find this thread useful.
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/ubbthreads.php/topics/123198/2.html

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thanks for the info and the link. That was helpful.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by epoh
    Depends on the school. Overall, though, it seems like very few schools actually do grade placement based on MAP scores. If you are lucky they use them as a screening tool and will then to other achievement testing.

This is a really polite version of what I was going to relate about our experience (middle school). To use MAP scores for placement, someone in the school would have to actually *look* at them. When I did some stealth agitating last year, I received a call from the school learning coordinator (also the in-building TAG contact), and when she called, she said in an awed/stunned tone "I knew [name of DD} is bright, but I just looked at her MAP score, and I don't think I've ever seen one that high." This wouldn't be so irritating if they didn't make such a big deal about how they are totally on top of TAG identification and services (and MAP is an advertised element of this, albeit only in its 2nd year) so that parent requests are unnecessary/unwelcome.

Know your school.

Last edited by amylou; 07/11/13 03:28 PM.
    Q
    Q
    I don't believe you can meaningfully convert MAP scores to instructional levels. Even using the 95% threshold, DS as a 4th grader would presumably be at a 11th grade level but I don't believe that he was really at that level. I also do not think schools, including our district, uses them for placement purposes. It is used to as a baseline to support that students are learning sufficiently and progressing sufficiently.

Since there are 3 versions of MAP (K-2, 2-5, 6+), it would be really difficult to compare scores across versions. It is my understanding that even though MAP claims to keep going as long as you answer questions correctly, that doesn't happen in the 2-5 version. You may get a few of the questions given to the higher grades, but not all. Once your child starts getting really high scores on the 2-5 version, it may be useful to ask the school to switch your child to the 6+ version so there is more meaningful data for the teachers.

I agree with the others who have recommended being placed with other students scoring the same levels, if possible. Also, can't hurt to ask how they use the MAP scores. The answer may be revealing.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations