Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 136 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    J
    Dance parties in the kitchen!
    Sprinklers
    Leaf piles
    Finger painting on newspapers
    Blowing bubbles in the bathtub
    Toddler playground equipment
    Stackable and connectable toys for building sorting and patterns
    Reading (sometimes for hours!)
    Hiding goldfish inside easter eggs
    Posters covering the walls
    Leapfrog singing refrigerator letters and build-a-word toys, and leapfrog videos
    Contents of the kitchen cabinets
    Puzzles
    Slinky
    Big cardboard box forts (We made a Space X Dragon with windows, doors, and a ported ceiling that lasted for a month)
    smile

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks for the suggestion, MK. Which applications would you recommend? If you have experience with the Tag system (we have the world map, human body, and solar system "posters"), how does the tone and delivery of the Leappad material compare? I have a touch of auditory OE and find the Tag materials grating, so they get very little use. If you have any good iPad app recommendations, I'd also be curious to hear those! smile

Thanks for sharing!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Portia, thank you, thank you, thank you! You have some really creative ideas in that list that I will definitely leverage (as well as your pipe joints idea from another thread a few weeks ago)!

I also am truly grateful for you commiseration with the exhaustion. It's such a fun age, and I wake up every morning excited for the new day, but the fatigue is cumulative and compounded by the fact that:

A) I'm doing another grad degree part-time for fun,
    B) DS is a co-sleeper who still wakes about 2-3 times per night to nurse, and
    C) We live in a 900sqft condo in the heart of a big city, so we're always right on top of each other at home

So thank you for validating that the great privilege and joy of parenting these sorts of children doesn't come without a parental cost. Up until recently, even DH and family were skeptical of my claims that parenting DS is exhausting. I'm a high energy person, but DS definitely outpaces his slightly less extroverted mother. wink

Idea-wise, we are definitely on the same wavelength because I had Scrabble in mind, but was trying to devise an ability-appropriate hack for DS. You have the elegant solution I needed.

I also particularly like how your suggestions are multi-sensory...music, tastings, experimenting with pigments...these will satisfy DS' inquisitive mind and provide a nice variety. He's a soulful, imaginative child with a mechanical bent. We have a void in our schedule because our music class has recessed for the summer, and that was a source of real enjoyment for us both, so those ideas will inject a bit of creativity into our days again.

The chemistry/Presidents type knowledge might be a bit early for DS yet, but I can see him warming to that sort of more detailed information in a few months.

He's fascinated by categorizing dinosaurs, so we do a lot of excavation in our sandbox, visit the dinosaurs at the museum, etc. The extent of his information isn't too broad yet-- just name, diet, special features, and biped/quadruped for maybe 50-60 dinosaurs. We haven't really touched on geography or time period, though he's starting to take some interest in geography now.

Aviation might be an easy sell, as we'll be visiting my parents (my father is a retired fighter pilot) in a few weeks. Grandpa would be happy to talk shop with a new audience.

Your elements tree could easily become a paleontogy exhibit at home, or a display of various tools and vehicles. Come to think of it, I may be putting too much focus on creating media for DS' use, with the end as the goal rather than the process. Giving DS ownership of the project would help foster a bit more self-reliance, I think. Hmm...time for me to shift from leader to facilitator.

Thanks again, Portia.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    An old style calculator, the kind that prints. I attribute some of DS7s crazy number sense to hours spent mashing the calculator adding and multiplying numbers.

We've joked that we measure DS age by the number of minutes that pass before he needs an audience. Figure it's been increasing about ten seconds a month.

Since he was a whole word sight reader, magnetic poetry was quite popular for a while. Oh yeah, and almost anything on the TV with closed captioning on.

Oddly an abacus barely caught his attention.

I think my parents have an accounting calculator at their house that is never used. We'll give it a shot!

And re: audiences, I read you loud and clear. Thanks for the reassurance that we're not alone. wink

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by KJP
    This has been getting a lot of mileage in my house.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0002CYSQ8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1373150135&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX112_SY192

My boys (2 and 5) like to play with it in the tub. Water really changes the sound.

Thanks KJP! We've been learning about vacuums and gravity in the tub lately, but they're getting old. I can see DS enjoying this.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Jenna
    Dance parties in the kitchen!
    Sprinklers
    Leaf piles
    Finger painting on newspapers
    Blowing bubbles in the bathtub
    Toddler playground equipment
    Stackable and connectable toys for building sorting and patterns
    Reading (sometimes for hours!)
    Hiding goldfish inside easter eggs
    Posters covering the walls
    Leapfrog singing refrigerator letters and build-a-word toys, and leapfrog videos
    Contents of the kitchen cabinets
    Puzzles
    Slinky
    Big cardboard box forts (We made a Space X Dragon with windows, doors, and a ported ceiling that lasted for a month)
    smile

Thanks for the ideas, Jenna!

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    MotherofToddler, just wanted to say thanks for your feedback too, though it seems to have disappeared! smile

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    My DS (now over 6) has had this for a couple of years:
    ALEX Water Flutes

It's been fun for him to measure out different amounts of water to see what sound they make. smile

I'm sorry to say, but I think he's in transition from tub-time to showering.

My baby is growing up.

(Excuse me, but where's the sobbing parent icon?)

Aww...*passes the tissues*

Those flutes are nifty looking. I think we'll be buying those.

S
    S
    Don't forget sink/float experiments in the tub.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    Don't forget sink/float experiments in the tub.

All over it. smile

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM