Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 188 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    My older DD has a somewhat twisted sense of humor and enjoyed Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Bill Bryson has some funny books. Monty Python has some too. You'd have to preview them ahead of time so you may have to be selective. Still, we're not talking George Carlin here.

I think Roald Dahl's The Witches is pretty funny and some of his other books. He had a twisted sense of humor too.

My ds7.5 personally loves Gary Larsen but it is a particular type of humor and doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone. Then again, the same could be said for the Captain Underpants series, which is a particular type of humor and doesn't necessarily appeal to everyone either.

D
    Dbat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys! DD has loved all of the Roald Dahl books as well as the Lemony Snicket series and the Monty Python collection--they are right up her alley. I'll have to get her Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle, HK--thanks! And I haven't tried Alibris yet, so thanks for mentioning it, DeeDee--that's a great idea. I can't wait until she's a couple of years older so I won't worry so much about prescreening stuff--that will be so much easier! Thanks again!

Terry Pratchett has some good stuff also like the ones involving the Wee Free Men later the full blown TP books are ( to me at least) hilarious

Become what you are
    Ds enjoyed the Gregor the overlander series for laughs. I think he is reading 'Mad Scientist Club' right now, and did some shoulder- surfing-reading along with me of a Dilbert book I grabbed at the library, that is some funnnnnny stuff right there.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    Terry Pratchett has some good stuff also like the ones involving the Wee Free Men later the full blown TP books are ( to me at least) hilarious

This is a great suggestion - see if she likes Wee Free Men or The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. My DD also loved Equal Rites, but that's one of his "grown-up" books. You could also try the Robert Asprin "Myth" series.

U
    U
    Sideways Stories at Wayside School

Strange, but true: when I was about 8 one of my favorite books was Peg Bracken's The I Hate to Cook Book. This accurately presaged future interests in 1) cooking, 2) feminism and 3) sarcasm.

Sample quote: "This book is for those of us who want to fold our big dishwater hands around a dry Martini instead of a wet flounder, come the end of a long day."

Originally Posted by MidwestMom
    My older DD has a somewhat twisted sense of humor and enjoyed Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

DD owns the complete set-- she loves them still for their cleverness and zany narrative qualities.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    Dbat Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Awesome, guys! chris1234, I did not realize Suzanne Collins had written other books (duh); plus they're available as Kindle editions! Hooray! DD loved the Hunger Games, so I'm hoping she'll like these others as well. For some reason she hasn't gotten into Dilbert yet but we love it and will keep trying from time to time. (Also the I Hate to Cook Book is available on Kindle, although apparently it's modified, and it looks like they're going to move the Asprin books to Kindle--not that things have to be on Kindle, it just makes them easier to get.)

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by MidwestMom

DD owns the complete set-- she loves them still for their cleverness and zany narrative qualities.

My DD practically ate those books during April vacation when we took a roadtrip to the desert. We had to download new sets of books at restaurants so she could keep reading during the next leg of the trip (happily, they discounted them if you bought in sets of 3 or 4). Meanwhile, her brothers were busy hyperventilating over iPod Minecraft. Well, at least it kept them from beating each other up.

Don't know how old your DD is, but The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy series is bodacious.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM