Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks, MumofThree, I would appreciate it that!

D
    D
    ITA with Mum3. Resonates with our experience here as well.

I tend to be skeptical of therapies of the Balametrics/Tomatis/Copyrighted Method with Limited Evidence sort, but I am not a neurologist etc....

DeeDee

R
    R
    I had to join this forum because I really needed to share my experience. My DS is turning 7 at the end of the month and we have been on a roller coaster ride with him pretty much since he was born. A brief background: He was always different than the other kids his age. He was a fussy baby that had issues with noise, clothing textures, foods, etc. We couldn�t have music on in the car, in the house or he would cry bloody murder. He started talking in full adult sentences at the age of two. He was continually meeting milestones well before his peers. Later we took him for testing by a Child Psychologist and he was found to be gifted with an IQ of 127. The Child Psychologist said that she thought his IQ might be higher than was reflected during the test, as he shut down at the end of the test because he thought it was boring. She tried to get him to complete the test but he refused. She said we should retest in a few years. You think as a parent "Wow! Great! Problem solved!" NOPE! Not even close.

He�s had nothing but difficulty in school. He had a teacher last year that was pushing for an ADHD diagnosis. It is often the �go-to solution� for kids that are hyperactive and unfocused; particularly boys tend to be this way because they take longer to develop their frontal lobes. Anyway, we took him to a pediatrician who after a 15 minute observation decided it was ADHD. We thought, okay, perhaps we should try medication. It only made sense! We tried 3 different meds, and the poor kid was crawling out of his own skin. He couldn`t STAND being in his clothing (soft cotton, no tags! and he wanted to take his clothes off in Walmart because the clothes were hurting his skin!!) We went through absolute Hell last year. We took him off of the meds. Apparently if it is ADHD, meds are supposed to work right away. "Like a light switch" - my friend says who has a daughter with ADHD. She is now 14 and the meds continue to work beautifully for her. The meds worked immediately right from the start for my friends daughter. So, we were at a loss.

We couldn't figure out why our son was so hyperactive and unfocused. Then we started looking at the symptoms. He was tiptoe walking, sensitive to noise, touch, certain clothing and he had fine motor skill difficulty. We then discovered Sensory Processing Disorder. Autistic kids can have a Sensory Processing Disorder, as can ADHD kids, as can gifted kids, as can any kid. His Sensory Processing Disorder was appearing like ADHD, because often children with ADHD have a Sensory Processing Disorder! (of interest, it has been discovered that Sensory Processing Disorder can be �measured� during a brain scan. http://thesensoryspectrumblog.com/2...or-sensory-processing-disorders-in-kids/ This shows that is indeed physiological and has a biological base and affects the Parietal, Temporal, and Occipital lobe, which is not the same lobe that is affected when referring to ADHD. ADHD is a frontal lobe issue).

That�s why the meds didn't work. If anything, they were making his already very raw sensitive nervous system even MORE aware of his surroundings! Ta Da! Problem solved. (Oh, if only it were that simple!) It still didn't make any sense. Why was he so hyperactive and reactionary? Why was he so unfocused? We did hours and hours of research trying to make sense of everything. That's when we discovered that our DS had a food dye allergy! And synthetic food dye can cause ADHD type symptoms! Couple that with a very sensitive nervous system, and you've got a mess of a kid. Since the summer, we cut out ALL food dyes (Tartrazine, Yellow # 5, being the absolute worst of them all!) And what a difference! It's been night and day with the ADHD symptoms! They are virtually gone! But we were still having issues with the fine motor skills, the frustration in class. Cutting out the food dyes was not enough.

We looked into various treatments for SPD, and decided on the Tomatis Method. I was like everyone else: Extremely skeptical. This just didn�t seem like it could work. There was no real research done. But, we thought if we don�t try it, we will kick ourselves for not trying and always wonder if it could have made a difference. We have done one loop (30 hours of listening) and are at the end of our 4 week �integration� period and will be starting our next loop this Saturday. Things we have noticed: Our DS is less reactionary. When he does react or get upset it is extremely brief, whereas before it would last for A LOT longer! His fine motor skills are improving. Are they perfect? No. But they are certainly better. He is more focused when he is reading and is less frustrated when he doesn�t know a word. Instead of giving up, he actually tries to phonetically sound out the word. Before Tomatis it would have ended in tears and him screaming. His teachers have said they have noticed a difference. He is no longer covering his ears when he hears loud noises. The tip toe walking has decreased by 95%! He used to always walk on his tiptoes when he was anxious! He has definitely changed. Is it perfect? No. But we still have another loop and we are hopeful that we will continue to see positive changes. I can say with certainty that we are glad we did it. We have definitely seen benefits. I just wanted to share this because this can be a very frustrating road to be on, and maybe our experience can help someone navigate through some rough terrain. Sorry for the long post but I just want you to consider our situation before you consider ADHD.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Just seeing this now! Thank you for sharing your experience RegisteredNurse! And so glad your little guy is doing better!

My son did the whole tomatis thing combined with balametrics, etc. I have to say, it does seem to have helped. I am glad he did it. The little things, too, that came out of it - e.g., his knowing his left form his right (like 95% of the time LOL) smile , being able to do jumping jacks, stronger posture, etc. It seemed to really help his coordination. Oddly (actually the director says it's not odd at all but I find it odd) his reading ability just sky-rocketed midway through... like some wall or something had been lingering/getting in the way was finally destroyed. His behavior is better, anxiety down. It's weird - it's like a bunch of little things but all together they make for a nice change and for a boy more comfortable in his body.

They recommend doing on intensive of Interactive Metronome to finish up but I just don't have the money and DS really doesn't have the time right now. It's only for two weeks but it's two hours every day for those weeks so I like to do it on a holiday. I was thinking of having DS do it over Christmas but not sure... I am wondering if I can leave it till summer.

Anyway, welcome! And thanks for your story!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM