Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I also make it a point to note those relatively rare instances in which an ADULT inconveniences my DD by being scatterbrained, late, or just self-centered about something. Being civilized ultimately means doing things to suit not just ourselves, but to not overly inconvenience those around us, too.

So if I have to hunt for my car keys or my cell phone, and make DD late? Yeah-- I own it, and it's a teachable moment. There's a reason why I use spatial scaffolding in my life.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Hey, let's face it... long-distance freeway driving is booooooooorrrrrring. But at 75 mph, being inattentive is not an option.
    ... especially when multi-tasking. wink

E
    evelyn Offline OP
    OP Offline
    E
    Thanks about the "necessary evils"-related points, dullness of highway driving, etc...all good points and ones that you have inspired me to re-make in numerous ways!

However, I am not sure how powerful "this is the way it is" is for this particular child. Certainly he needs to know that--and he does respond to such information. But those kinds of arguments fade inside him (I'm guessing) when he is in the moment.

I am still really interested in any practical things people have done with their kids to help strengthen these skills!

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by evelyn
    Anyone else have a kid who's so interested in the inside of his or her head that it's hard to RELIABLY do the mundane things of every day life and school? (On the school front, I realize that bumping up the stimulation level might help--but there will still be things he has to do that do not compete favorably with whatever he's thinking about.)

Yup yup yup, x 1,000. Fyi mine (8 also) has a diagnosis of ADHD Combined type, which the psychologist characterized as severe. Btw, he also has remarkable powers of concentration... if he's interested, or if the work/task is challenging enough to engage him. Otherwise... he's a space cadet. lol.

Both my kids (DD has no diagnosis) have significant concentration problems when they are not challenged. Yesterday DD10 was complaining about how hard it is to concentrate because the work is too easy. sigh. DS8, meanwhile, needs interest, challenge or task-specific motivation or he won't even try.

Fyi, I haven't medicated DS8 yet... not sure if I will. There's such a fine behavioural line between gifted vs ADHD vs visual-spatial that it can be hard to differentiate. He seems to have quite a healthy temperament: he's happy, resilient, confident and non-aggressive and I don't want to tamper with that. He can be very intense, but not as "darkly" so as DD can be (she's my drama queen wink ) Anyway... I digress. lol

Last edited by CCN; 06/20/13 09:20 AM.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    To train for higher levels of engagement over a longer period of time, I give oral "pop-quizzes" to my DD about things going on around her, or about the tasks which she is engaged in.

I LOVE this idea smile smile Omgosh... writing it down. I'm going to do this with my DS. Thanks smile

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by evelyn
    Howler--I love your idea, but how does your daughter respond when you give her pop quizzes? I can totally see my son saying, "that is not what I am thinking about right now." And then I'm in the position of explaining to him why it matters to be thinking about that right now. Which is part of the point of my question.

Yes!! Exactly. So... I'll say to my son, "ah, but if you had been paying attention, you could have answered. So, hmmm. Maybe next time if you have the right answer for me, I'll give you ten extra Wii minutes."

Bingo. We have focus.

How does that help (if I'm having to motivate him to do it)? Neuroplasticity (why doesn't spell check like that word? sigh) ...as in, the more often he is motivated to pay attention to his surroundings, the more he'll do it, and the more he does it, the more synapses/pathways/whatever are established for that cognitive activity. I'm just a layperson, so to the neurologists out there: please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Last edited by CCN; 06/20/13 09:31 AM.
    I am still really interested in any practical things people have done with their kids to help strengthen these skills!

Daily responsibilities which are tied to some externally imposed scaffold.

1. Remind-remind-remind about those responsibilities until they become habit.

2. Praise the habit once established. No praise for inattentive/incomplete work, however-- this often needs to be a slow transition. Emphasize natural consequences in corrections, wherever possible. ("Oh, look-- the dog is OUT OF WATER. I wonder who forgot to refill the bowl this morning...")

3. Praise-- particularly-- attention to detail in those habits (so for example, noticing that sweeping wasn't enough since the floor was so dirty it needed mopping).

4. Praise diligence and adherence to routine even when NOT reminded, and especially when something more appealing/engaging could have been selected as an alternative. "I'm really proud of you for your choice to clean the hamster cage this morning instead of texting with your friends."

5. Emphasize the qualities that your child values (not the ones that you value)-- "You are becoming so much more mature. I can tell because _________ (agreed-upon task completion) is happening each day without reminders from anyone!"

Substitute whatever aspect of this skill set is most desirable to your child in particular there-- helpful, conscientious, diligent, responsible, grown-up, self-reliant, etc.

6. Praise your child for NOTICING when scut-work needs doing. This is attention to detail that requires specific reinforcement for some children. I still praise DD14 for cleaning up her own bathroom or bedroom, or initiating other household tasks without prompting.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 06/20/13 09:35 AM. Reason: clarification

Now that DD is older, I will sometimes make her "guess" which chores need to be completed before she can go off with her friends, go to a regular social thing, etc. I'll have a mental list of things that I think are (or should be) fairly obvious, and quite often are things that she should-- IF she has been paying attention-- have heard her dad or me refer to in the previous few days. Plus the standard things, of course.

So for example, maybe this Sunday's list is going to look like:

brush out Shetland Sheepdog
    Give the dog a bath
    Novice obedience work with Sheltie
    mow the lawn
    practice the piano
    put away clean clothes

This requires that she be able to use more subtle environmental cues to remind her of information that she has heard as verbal instructions.

She might do everything on that list but work with the dog-- and then ask me "Am I done?" To which I will say, nope-- what did we talk about on Wed evening?

If she still doesn't remember, I'll give another hint or two.

Originally Posted by master of none
    We have a chore board. When the kids were young, they had lists of things that had to be done at certain times each day. Those received check marks that added up each day.

Looking back on my life growing up, I think that my primary chore a kid was basically to graduate valedictorian and get a full college scholarship.

I had to mow the grass and I had a paper route, both of which generated cash (allowance and employment income).

I destroyed the mower once in high school because nobody explained to me that you had to check the oil.

Other than that, I was pretty much task-free.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM