Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    Val and Aquinas, I totally agree with you. I read Kio Stark's book, Don't Go Back to School, and realized that darn I didn't need those master's degrees in the end to learn something, never mind the PhD work. Oh well.

Between the schools, families (as Val pointed out), overemphasis on standardization and testing (as Aquinas pointed out), etc. we've got a lot of tinderbox societal issues. So there's plenty of places for improvement. I do somewhat agree that even in an ideal school situation, it's debatable whether you will actually find out the way you learn or why you need certain knowledge/training/material.

Most schools, and I'll include colleges here, operate on a linear path with linear textbooks and linear tests. Well, that's fine and dandy but I'd say flipping burgers probably gives you more an inkling and a concept on how things operate in a chaotic, unpredictable manner despite the standardization within the fast food industry. And let's face it, not everything in life goes so linearly and is predictable with empirical standards and measurements.

A
    A
    No, HK, you're not being hard-nosed. I nodded my way through your post. If we expect little of students and employees throughout their development and reward dependence, an incomplete skillset, and immaturity then it's unsurprising that that's what we'll get. Life doesn't come with a safety net.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    JonLaw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Of course they DO learn that anyone that needs to learn those trivial things is irrelevant. Such people and their concerns are largely beneath them anyway. So that part is fine. Until it isn't, of course.

"Until it isn't" certainly happens when you need the $2,000,000 book of business to remain employed with your firm.

S
    S
    Employers ask for this problem when they insist on a specific list of skills, task experience, and certifications/degrees instead of asking for soft skills. Smart people who do not have the requisite skill set are rejected in favor of the mediocre mind with the skill set, even though the smart person could probably master it all in a short time and thenceforth be much more valuable than the mediocre person. That's what they get too by having an HR person, rather than an expert in the field, do the initial cull. I have no sympathy for employers who can't find good employees. They don't try very hard.

Secondly, the increasing emphasis on education as a means of preparing for a job rather than as, well, education is a big part of what is causing the problem of new graduates unprepared for a workforce that demands creativity and thinking on the fly.

Val Offline
    Hmm.

I've been thinking about the job situation in the US (possibly elsewhere, but I don't know enough about other economies to say). for a while. I think that a huge part of the problem is that manufacturing jobs and other skilled labor jobs have been shipped overseas. So people who would otherwise have taken union-type jobs now have no other choice but to seek white collar jobs. This fact is probably driving the everyone-must-go-to-college mindset. People have no choice: there are fewer jobs requiring skilled labor, ergo many people must move into white collar jobs or work in relatively unskilled and poorly-paid service jobs.

So it's really no surprise that employers have trouble finding "good" employees. There probably aren't enough intelligent people to fill them all and the employers may be doing the best they can to find people who can do the work.

I'm not saying that the other factors we've discussed here aren't also problems. I'm just saying that what I've described is one more (big) problem.

JonLaw Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    So it's really no surprise that employers have trouble finding "good" employees. There probably aren't enough intelligent people to fill them all and the employers may be doing the best they can to find people who can do the work.

If you can train less intelligent people properly, then they can generally do the work in question.

I wouldn't have believed this until I started dealing with the so-called educably mentally retarded.

Pretty solid work histories in lots of cases.

But employers have pretty much shrugged off the idea that workers should be trained. They tend to look for the fully-qualified individual, which means experienced in their particular line of business, with their particular set of tools. Then they wonder why they get so few applicants.

W
    W
    I think the soft skills are a problem of parenting. Soft skills are not part of IQ. A project manager on a construction site needs great soft skills, anyone running their own business.

Kids developed soft skills when they were given money and told to go to the store to buy some bread and milk. And they were 6 years old. They navigated their way, knew how to cross streets figure out how much money was left over for penny candy.

I learned how to read a map when I started school. I learned I could get anywhere from anywhere, I just had to figure it out. Now we have GPS. I don't have to look up a word in the dictionary or research in the library. I have the Internet.

In the park last week DD was climbing a tree and having a whining tantrum because she was having trouble. I said you have to figure it out. Place your foot where you have friction and some support, place your hands where you can pull yourself up. Try this place, if it doesn't work, but you have to figure it out. I was really tempted to help her into the tree but I thought I have to stop the helicopter stuff. She has to learn to how to figure out solutions for the little things. Climbing a tree isn't about IQ, it is about problem solving.

All those little things in childhood are about problem solving. All those things we have taken away as helicopter parents.

Ren

22B Offline
    Could someone please define "soft skills"? What is it about them that makes them "soft"?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Could someone please define "soft skills"? What is it about them that makes them "soft"?

Here is a heart-warming example of how soft skills helped someone get ahead:

http://online.barrons.com/article/SB50001424052748704878904578537580549304820.html
    CEO Spotlight
    Barron's
    SATURDAY, JUNE 15, 2013
    A Model Success
    By SANDRA WARD

Long before becoming chairman and chief executive of Affiliated Managers Group, Sean Healey was a young Harvard law-school student with dreams of a career in academia. Then he decided that a solitary life spent pondering legal theory was not what he wanted. Seduced by the pitch of a Goldman Sachs banker promising an atmosphere of "brilliant, focused, and switched-on people," he accepted a full-time job with the New York investment bank, after serving as a summer associate there. He headed to the firm's headquarters to meet with the partners.

Whisked to the trading floor, he was presented to Stephen Friedman, known for his tough and intimidating presence, and who eventually went on to head Goldman. Healey stuck out his hand in greeting. Friedman immediately put him in a Russian headlock, a move in which Healey's head was tucked under Friedman's arm and locked in by Friedman's torso and other arm. To Friedman, a national collegiate wrestling champion at Cornell, Healey wasn't just any new hire, but a former Harvard wrestler and worthy opponent.

In seconds, Healey decided that escaping risked embarrassing his future boss. Staying put wasn't an option, either, for fear that Friedman would think he was a wimp. "Instead, I took a really hard grip on his arm, so it was hurting him to hold me," recalls Healey. "He eventually let me go, and we had our conversation."

It was the right move, allowing each to come out a winner.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM