Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Tanikit
    My DD(5) has loved The Indian in the Cupboard and its sequels (has some violence in it though) and the Narnia series. She has also enjoyed many of the Enid Blyton adventure stories.

Yes, our ds enjoyed The Indian in the Cupboard books, too.

M
    M
    My oldest was obsessed with Secrets of Droon about that age -- we got them all, in order of course, from the library. Tony Abbott was our schools "Author Day" author this past year and even at 11, DS was totally starstruck. It was sweet. smile

A
    A
    My DD just turned 6 a few months ago, and is absolutely in LOVE with the How to Train Your Dragon Series. She also loves Diary of A Wimpy Kid books, the Judy Blume books Super Fudge and Tails of a 4th Grade Nothing (she finished that one today). Also some of the classics such as White Fang are adventurous and she has really gotten into them.

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    M
    M
    +1 on the Stilton books. They are a huge hit with my kid. I also notice other kids in his school reading them

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Pss
    My 5 year old son is a great reader, but he resists books with more than a few lines on each page. If i use a piece of paper to cover up the rest of the words, he will read it, but it seems like he gets tired or intimidated by longer sections of words with smaller letters.

I dont want to push him, and just want him to continue to be a happy reader, but i do want him to have the confidence to read any books he likes.

What do you guys think?

My older son is kind of like that. What we did was we got him a kindle! He can adjust the font. He makes the font big, so there are only 4-5 words per lines. He just turned 7. His latest favorite is junior novels (for movies). He read Despicable Me 2, Smurfs 2, Turbo, Planes, Monsters University, etc this past summer. (He has not seen those movies.) All on the kindle. He also read Jack Stalwart and some other e-books we check out from the library.

While my DS5 and DS7 love Captain Underpants, I banned it from the house. My biggest problems with Captain Underpants are misspellings, and too many toilet humors. It took some months after banning Captain Underpants to hear my kids speak clean languages again.

If you have not heard of Tom Gates, check it out. Both my boys love it. It is very entertaining to read and clean (no toilet jokes).

C
    C
    Dragon Breath! My DS6 looooved The Dragon Breath series! Good, clean fun. For good measure he also read Diary of a Wimpy Kid, 4 out of 5 Percy Jackson books and the 13 Story Treehouse. Oh, and anything Calvin and Hobbes he can get his hands on. I know it's been said before, but does anyone feel like they have a "Calvin?" My DS identifies with Calvin so closely that he designated one of his favorite stuffed animals to be his version of Hobbes.
    Anyway, when I tried to impose my book preferences, he shut down and refused to read at all. So, I'm guiding, and trying to be breezy about the mediocre, slightly too mature kid books.
    Right now, he's reading the BFG and we're both happy about it. Roald Dahl seems to hit the sweet spot for adventure and silly.

M
    M
    Both of my boys loved the Ordinary Boys series by William Boniface. (And my younger son is NOT a reader, so this is huge in our house. smile )

Totally agree about ordinary boy!!! Wish he would write more.

DeHe

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM